Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attachment of earnings

• 22-05-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Any help welcome. My son is 18 his father never paid maintenance last year he started giving €30 . This year we went to court for maintenance I was awarded more and he never paid what was ordered just continued the €30. We went back for arrears and attachment he was ordered to pay arrears next month. He claimed he was out of work sick the attachment was due to start this week it didn't go in the bank he just put the months worth of €30.. I'm representing myself any advice on what steps to take next should I bother going back for arrears or does the fact He is out sick change the situation he has an appeal in June he was trying to put off arrears ect until after then so it's obvious what he is doing.. he's cheating the system and it feels there is nothing I can do .. between him and his wife they are doing everything possible to avoid the payments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Cria wrote: »
    Any help welcome. My son is 18 his father never paid maintenance last year he started giving €30 . This year we went to court for maintenance I was awarded more and he never paid what was ordered just continued the €30. We went back for arrears and attachment he was ordered to pay arrears next month. He claimed he was out of work sick the attachment was due to start this week it didn't go in the bank he just put the months worth of €30.. I'm representing myself any advice on what steps to take next should I bother going back for arrears or does the fact He is out sick change the situation he has an appeal in June he was trying to put off arrears ect until after then so it's obvious what he is doing.. he's cheating the system and it feels there is nothing I can do .. between him and his wife they are doing everything possible to avoid the payments

Best advice is talk to a solicitor.

However I'm a bit confused about the attachment of earnings. These are sent to an employer who them deduct the amount from the debters wages and pay the crediters account. If the money was increased and the amount you received was for the previous amount it sounds like the AoE hasn't been activated by his job and he paid you himself. If that's the case you've answered your own question, you just need the evidence to back up your claims as with anything to do with court

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Best advice is talk to a solicitor.

However I'm a bit confused about the attachment of earnings. These are sent to an employer who them deduct the amount from the debters wages and pay the crediters account. If the money was increased and the amount you received was for the previous amount it sounds like the AoE hasn't been activated by his job and he paid you himself. If that's the case you've answered your own question, you just need the evidence to back up your claims as with anything to do with court

I can't afford a solicitor I'm doing it myself trying to find out bits as I go along .. I
    Was thinking if he's out sick it must mean the attachment doesn't apply . I've had no feedback as to whether it was activated or not , I was just hoping for some help from anyone that might have gone through the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Cria wrote: »
    I can't afford a solicitor I'm doing it myself trying to find out bits as I go along .. I
    Was thinking if he's out sick it must mean the attachment doesn't apply . I've had no feedback as to whether it was activated or not , I was just hoping for some help from anyone that might have gone through the same thing

I'm not sure why it wouldn't apply if he was out sick? Does he not get paid while sick? That may be a case but the employer are under legal obligation to pay the set amount.

However even if he was out sick not being paid he still only paid the lower amount so he must have had some income which won't be looked on favourably by a judge.

As I said bring all your evidence and let the judge do the rest

You can also apply for legal aid if you can't afford a solicitor and FLAC can help you too

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

I'm not sure why it wouldn't apply if he was out sick? Does he not get paid while sick? That may be a case but the employer are under legal obligation to pay the set amount.

However even if he was out sick not being paid he still only paid the lower amount so he must have had some income which won't be looked on favourably by a judge.

As I said bring all your evidence and let the judge do the rest

You can also apply for legal aid if you can't afford a solicitor and FLAC can help you too

He said he doesn't get paid from his job he is being paid sick leave by the social welfare he has two other side earnings as has his wife so there is a large income going in . Also he keeps changing his story everytime we go to court I was looking into getting transcripts but apparently they are €200 so I'm stuck at the moment ..thanks so much for your help

Advertisement