Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

49' Custom Caique ?

• 22-05-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, my name is mickael

I always have the dream of leaving on a boat since few years now, I came across a Boat for sale not so long ago,
    a 49' Custom Caique, Year: 1986, Hull Material: Wood

I would like to get some advise on few point when it come to wooden boat, I know than the level of maintenance is extreme on wooden boat but this could become eventually my home so I am not scared of spending few hour weekly/daily on it.

What is the life time of a wooden boat, this particular model is already 30 year old, is it realistic to say than it will be there for another 10, 20 , 30 year more ?

Also it wasn't mention on it, is there any sort of type of wood i should avoid for the boat ?

The boat look on the picture in perfect condition, but What should i look for when viewing the boat ?

Is it better to get a professional to inspect the boat or is there any key element than i would be able to spot my self ?

The boat was build in Greece, any good or bad reputation on greek wooden boat ?

This is the boat description :
    The boat is 30 years old, I’m the third owner. The boats stays afloat, complete repaint every 3 years and anti-fouling every 3 years. The engine is a 150 hp Volvo, yearly maintenance, perfect working order. The teak deck has been redone 3 years ago as well as the rigging. Electric windlass is the new, with a new 100m 12 chain, another new 30kg Spas anchor.

What is your general Advise for me on this, Go for it ? Or not ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Mickael and welcome, a good wooden boat well looked after can last a lifetime or two so it all depends on how the other owners cared for her. Your best way of going about it would be to get a marine surveyor to go over her in and out of the water then at least you will have piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mickael44

Thanks for getting back to me, I would like to post some picture or the link for the boat for you to have a view of it but I am a new user so i cant
    Any advise on trusted professional for the job ?
    Would it be better to be with him during inspection ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Where are you based and where is the boat. You can PM me the link or photos and I will post them for you.

Here are a few for you http://www.irelandlookup.com/Surveyors_-_Marine/ I have used Eugene Curry and found him very good, if you are with him he can point things that might need addressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

mickael44 wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me, I would like to post some picture or the link for the boat for you to have a view of it but I am a new user so i cant
    Any advise on trusted professional for the job ?
    Would it be better to be with him during inspection ?

Is this it
    http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1986/Custom-Caique-2946757/Greece#.WSL-aOvytQI

Where are you going to keep it and live on it, if it's for ireland on the canals look for a barge, remember you would have to get it from Greece and possibly under bridges, what about the masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mickael44

yes it is, I am leaving in Limerick at the moment but looking at moving to Malta, The boat is in Greece at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

mickael44 wrote: »
    yes it is, I am leaving in Limerick at the moment but looking at moving to Malta, The boat is in Greece at the moment

Can you sail? How will you move it. I'd look for something local when you are out there if it where me. You can get a cheap boat then spend a lot on new sail, ropes.... boats are money pits. Will you need air con onboard it will be hot there in the summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The old saying with wooden boats is two days maintenance for every day of use. That's a shed load of timberwork to keep in good order there. I'd be looking a lot closer to home for a smaller and more affordable boat to own. The purchase price is just the very beginning.

Advertisement