Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering or Actuary?

Options
  • 22-05-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am undecided whether to do Chemical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering or go into an Actuary undergraduate course.

I love maths,physics and chemistry. But I'm not very creative when it comes to design, I prefer solving maths problems than coming up with innovative solutions. I have very bad visual perception and my weakest area of maths is Geometry. I love Calculus, solving mechanical physics problems and Stats though

Would Actuary be more suited for the less visual, more straight problem solving kind of person. Money doesn't really concern me too much, but I'm avoiding pure science because the career options arent as great. I want a good work/life balance. I'd also like to live and work in a city if that makes a difference. My only concern with Actuary is that I'd be neglecting my passion for chemistry and physics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

I am undecided whether to do Chemical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering or go into an Actuary undergraduate course.

I love maths,physics and chemistry. But I'm not very creative when it comes to design, I prefer solving maths problems than coming up with innovative solutions. I have very bad visual perception and my weakest area of maths is Geometry. I love Calculus, solving mechanical physics problems and Stats though

Would Actuary be more suited for the less visual, more straight problem solving kind of person. Money doesn't really concern me too much, but I'm avoiding pure science because the career options arent as great. I want a good work/life balance. I'd also like to live and work in a city if that makes a difference. My only concern with Actuary is that I'd be neglecting my passion for chemistry and physics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Saw in another thread that you're doing Medicine now ! That's crazy, How did you come to choose that instead of these courses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Richiepiano123

If I’m being honest, my parents pushed me into doing medicine. I did the hpat reluctantly. Tbh I was so undecided between engineering and actuary that they managed to convince me to put medicine number one instead because at least it took the pressure off me in making the decision.
    I’m sad to be ending my maths days prematurely but I am enjoying medicine so far

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

If I’m being honest, my parents pushed me into doing medicine. I did the hpat reluctantly. Tbh I was so undecided between engineering and actuary that they managed to convince me to put medicine number one instead because at least it took the pressure off me in making the decision.
    I’m sad to be ending my maths days prematurely but I am enjoying medicine so far

Can I ask, did you do biology in school or just physics + chemistry? Your subjects are similar to mine... Also undecided here.

Advertisement