Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda vetting procedure - contacting old addresses

• 22-05-2017 4:05pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been asked to post this on behalf of a user who, with good reason, wishes to remain anonymous.

When AGS are carrying out vetting, they require the applicant to provide details of all previous addresses.

At any point or under any circumstances, would they contact the current occupants at the addresses provided for any reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,807 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Generally not. The point of getting previous addresses is so that they can look in local records (You lived for a while in Sligo? We may need to check records in Sligo, so) and so that they can identify whether information which refers to hullaballoo is information which refers to you, or to some other person who shares your name.

The local records thing isn't such a big deal any more, now that all records are computerised and centralised, but addresses are still useful when sorting out information relating to different people of the same name. They're also useful in linking up information in relation to people who have used more than one name, or more than one version of the same name. (The ? hUileabal? who used to live at an address you gave as yours is probably you.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I can't see why they would, surely the current occupant at an address could have changed multiple times and be irrelevant. Would be an awful waste of time and resources if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was once a witness in a case. For some reason, the Garda couldn't contact me by phone and I wasn't there when he called to my home. So he said he actually did go to my old address. This indicates that they retain such data, use it and occasionally act on it. But that was for an actual case, not vetting.

However, for vetting purposes, I can't imagine them going to the old address. It would be exceptionally time intensive and they wouldn't necessarily gain anything from it.

I would suspect that they compare addresses with the addresses of known criminals, just as they check the candidate's other associates.

Someone used me as a reference for a security clearance, not ordinary vetting, and I never heard from them. Similarly with a naturalisation application. I suspect most vetting is 'paper' based, with a call to the local station to see if there is anything pending or if there is soft intelligence, e.g. "Candidate is a known messy drinker, but hasn't been arrested for anything".

Advertisement