Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To sow grass or by pre-rolled grass

Options
  • 22-05-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im new to gardening and was just wondering is it better to sow your garden or just buy the pre-rolled grass and let it bed in? I dont have much of an area to cover so was thinking the pre-rolled be handy and I'd have a nice lawn etc!! But someone was telling me there's a lot of maintenance involved in the pre-rolled grass? That you have to constantly water it as drown it etc

Just looking for expert options :D

P.s the pre rolled grass is only ?4 in B & Q for a metre long I think.. I was also thinking of maybe getting the fake grass but heard there is actually quite a lot of work involved in this to and its expensive .. If I knew how to load pictures I would show a picture of my back garden but am useless ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure whether the stuff you'll get in B&Q is any good, you don't know how long it's been sitting there. Any decent landscaping providers will have sod that's been freshly cut.

Tbh, I found the pre-rolled stuff great. Prepare the ground, roll it out and then keep it watered for a couple of weeks. Comes up looking really nice, clean, no stray weeds, etc. Once the roots have taken you don't need to give it any more maintenance than normal grass. I lost a chunk of mine cos the feckin dog decided to jump the barrier I had in place and peed in the same spot for 3 days straight. But other than that, no fuss.

The hardest part is probably getting the ground levelled and laying the sods properly. There needs to be some overlap to account for the sods contracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

In terms of buying rolls, I highly recommend these guys
    http://www.turflawnsales.com

There's plenty of advice on how to do it too, I've laid a few lawns and it's about getting the prep right.
    http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/maintain-the-garden/how-to-lay-lawn-turf/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Thanks guys really appreciate it!

Looks a good website Stopwatch and actually not too far from me! so will definately buy from them over B & Q.. Delighted now as its turning out to be a lot of work. I painted my wooden fence teak the reddy colour a couple of years ago and was told to paint it a sage colour as it would make my garden seem bigger plus draw more light..

What they didn't tell me is each panel would take 3/4 coats! thats after I power washed most the teak off.. Blood sweat and tears and some of the paint dripped down on the other side of my neighbours side and she only painted it a few weeks ago (teak) so lucky enough I have some teak paint left so I will go over hers.. On the plus side least we know each other now as she has only be living beside me for 2 years .. :D

Who said gardening was easy...

Advertisement