Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience with Netgear Arlo Smart Home?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Blink is another seemingly popular, low cost wireless option.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Much cheaper but sadly not suited for outdoors and the mounting seems to be very limited :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cabaal wrote: »
    Much cheaper but sadly not suited for outdoors and the mounting seems to be very limited :(

Not available yet, but outdoor, waterproof one coming soon:

https://blinkforhome.com/pages/blink-xt-outdoor-cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Curious anyone got these?
    They seem well suited for low enough traffic areas where you don't want to mess about with wires for the video/power for the camera's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Photo/Arlo-Smart-Home-Wire-Free-VMS3230-100EUS/B00TDNYNN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495469091&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear%2Bcamera&th=1

What other popular wireless camera options are there?

I've had them for a year or so. They work well. The batteries last for a good few months. Easy to mount. Motion detection works well but they don't start recording until motion is detected which means that the video can miss some activity. You can get around that by locating them where the motion would be towards the camera rather than across it.

The quality is good and the notifications work well. Scheduling is easy. There isn't any option to select motion detection on just part of the viewing area - you can crop the image but that's more for optics.

I also have an Arlo Q - wired wifi camera. Works very well and when it records motion it records right away so nothing is missed. Quite sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

I have these too. 2 outside and one inside. Batteries last a long time, but difficult (somewhat non-standard size) and a little expensive to replace. Managed to find some rechargeable versions online.

The 1 week of free cloud storage is excellent and a big factor in my purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    I have these too. 2 outside and one inside. Batteries last a long time, but difficult (somewhat non-standard size) and a little expensive to replace. Managed to find some rechargeable versions online.

The 1 week of free cloud storage is excellent and a big factor in my purchase.

None standard, so not just Aa or aaa, what type they take?

Yeah the cloud storage makes em attractive, I love to go with Nest by yearly subscription sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

They take CR123A batteries, like these:

http://www.boots.ie/boots-cr123a-lithium-battery-x1-10193193

I think they are mostly used as camera batteries. BTW, the latest Arlo camera, the Arlo Pro has a built-in rechargeable battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TDNYNP8/

Reduced to 230 GBP for the next 4hours down from almost 300

and I bought one as I got a further discount of 30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TDNYNP8/

Reduced to 230 GBP for the next 4hours down from almost 300

and I bought one as I got a further discount of 30 :)

Good piece of Kit. I have 7 of these arlos, 5 at one property and 2 at another. (2 base stations) All appear on the one app on my phone. Free cloud storage for 7 days is great.
    The Geo location mode works great. When My phone is at the premises the system unarms itself.

Arlo limits the free account to 5 cameras, but you can have as many accounts as you like, all connected to one app by setting up "shared devices".

givecredit wrote: »
    Good piece of Kit. I have 7 of these arlos, 5 at one property and 2 at another. (2 base stations) All appear on the one app on my phone. Free cloud storage for 7 days is great.
    The Geo location mode works great. When My phone is at the premises the system unarms itself.

Arlo limits the free account to 5 cameras, but you can have as many accounts as you like, all connected to one app by setting up "shared devices".

Good to know more about some of the features including geo locate,
    I got the Home (not pro) package, the sound feature would be nice but its not a deal breaker. I went with the 2 camera pack as it was such a good price but honestly can't see myself going past 3 cameras.

The fact they are wire free means I can move it to my parents if they go on holidays so I can keep an eye on the house. Otherwise for me its one camera front and one back. In long term I'll likely get a third for the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Good to know more about some of the features including geo locate,
    I got the Home (not pro) package, the sound feature would be nice but its not a deal breaker. I went with the 2 camera pack as it was such a good price but honestly can't see myself going past 3 cameras.

The fact they are wire free means I can move it to my parents if they go on holidays so I can keep an eye on the house. Otherwise for me its one camera front and one back. In long term I'll likely get a third for the side.

My parents are elderly, So I have the 2 cameras at their house so I can keep an eye on things there.

The cameras are so easy to install and can be put anywhere within WIFI range of your home so I am sure you will find a place for another camera in future.

I bought mine on offer at £49 each earlier this year. So keep an eye out for offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have an Arlo... It's great & can confirm that during a recent holiday, no one broke into my apartment...

Finally shipped and I'll have it Friday,
    Spotted its on Prime Day deal later today...it better not be any lower then the 200 GBP I paid for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cabaal wrote:
    Finally shipped and I'll have it Friday, Spotted its on Prime Day deal later today...it better not be any lower then the 200 GBP I paid for it

175!!!

Stoner wrote: »
    175!!!

Yeah, spotted that
    Bloody annoying but I guess thats the chance you take. Oh well,

Have it all setup now, geofencing in the app doesn't seem to work right so I opted for IFTTT instead,

Have also setup IFTTT so it activates cameras when I am home when I activate my good night trigger when heading to bed and also de-activates when my alexa alarm goes off in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cabaal wrote:
    Have also setup IFTTT so it activates cameras when I am home when I activate my good night trigger when heading to bed and also de-activates when my alexa alarm goes off in the morning.
    Good stuff. I'm going to set this up in my mother's place I think.

How are you finding IFTTT . Fast enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

I bought an Arlo (3 camera unit) and I can't get the app to connect to the base unit. I've tried a number of times. The base unit is connected to my wifi router via the supplied cable.

I've virgin media and connected via their supplied router.

Any advice gratefully received?

Advertisement