Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help making a wooden activity toy

Options
  • 22-05-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

For my soon to be 1 year old son I would like to get a wooden (50cm tall) cube made with lockable latches ("doors" with drawer pulls to hide things behind) and other household elements like hinges, switches, bolts, spring door stopper, tap lights, swivel and fixed caster wheels, chain lock, zippers, etc etc on each side. I can't post links or pictures yet as I'm new to the forum but if you search for a Lock and Latches Board by Melisa and Doug or a Latch Board Activity Toy (also known as a "Busy board") on Pinterest you will see what I mean.

I will pay for the work and materials, will meet to discuss the parts and their placement. I live in Dublin but I don't mind travelling within a reasonable distance to meet the maker. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

You do realise that the activity board you mention, Latches Board by Melisa and Doug , is recommended for 3 years and up.
    I would be concerned about the suitability of some of these latches for a one year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Moochaa

Many thanks for your concern. The reason I'm looking for a custom job here is to exclude the parts that are unsuitable for 1 year olds.

I went to IKEA and bought a few parts to attempt one myself. Will update this post with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is a lovely idea Moochaa, but I have to agree with the other poster that it is not likely to be suitable for a 1 year old. The concepts you are talking about are too advanced for a 1 year old. Not just for safety reasons but because you have to consider things like their ability to grip and maneuver items. He is more likely to be either frustrated or not interested.

If you do decide to go ahead - this is a special birthday! - maybe be prepared for it to be an occasionally played with item that will sit on a shelf being decorative until he shows real interest. It will be expensive though as it will require high quality workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I can take a look if you like, I'm richardkillianwoodwork.
    Moochaa wrote: »
    Hi all,

For my soon to be 1 year old son I would like to get a wooden (50cm tall) cube made with lockable latches ("doors" with drawer pulls to hide things behind) and other household elements like hinges, switches, bolts, spring door stopper, tap lights, swivel and fixed caster wheels, chain lock, zippers, etc etc on each side. I can't post links or pictures yet as I'm new to the forum but if you search for a Lock and Latches Board by Melisa and Doug or a Latch Board Activity Toy (also known as a "Busy board") on Pinterest you will see what I mean.

I will pay for the work and materials, will meet to discuss the parts and their placement. I live in Dublin but I don't mind travelling within a reasonable distance to meet the maker. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Moochaa

Thank you for replying everyone!
    A friend helped me out and gifted the toy to my son. I will post a picture as soon as I'm able to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement