Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What triggers the meter to change from day to night?

Options
  • 22-05-2017 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Recently bought apartment with Day & Night meters.  I understand summer hrs for night meter are 12 midnight to 9 a.m. but the night meter is kicking in at 11 pm. and goes back to day meter at 8 am, which as far as I know are the 'winter' night tariff hours.  Am I right then in thinking that during the 'summer'hours between 8 am & 9 am I'm being charged higher tariff if I use for example washing machine?  There is a clock in with the meters and that is the current summer timer..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi 32Kathryn,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Can you advise if you have one meter or two meters?

If the time-clock is changing over an hour early, this will mean that it will be changing back to night an hour early also. We would recommend taking this into account when using appliances. If you have storage heating, this will go by the time on the clock.

During the summer-time the night-rate hours are midnight until 9am. The winter night-rate hours are from 11pm until 8am.

The time-clock does not change. As the night-rate hours change with the clocks, this should account for the difference in the hour. If your time-switch has stopped, or is at the wrong time, you can report a time-switch fault by calling our colleagues on 1850 372 372 to request a visit by a technician. Their phone-line is open from 8am to 8pm from Monday to Saturday. A visit can be arranged if necessary.

Should you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Registered Users Posts: 7 32Kathryn

Hi Aoife, yes two meters.  I've seen the arrow pointing at the night meter change and point at the day meter from 8 am.  And this happens at same time as clock in with meters changes to 8 am.  So I'm guessing they are linked. What I'd noticed initially is the heaters coming on sometime after 11pm so I've been trying to see what's happening to understand.  I've also turned heat off at wall.  I'd been putting on washing machine in the mornings (after 8 and before 9) to avail of the cheaper tariff but if I'm understanding any of this right then at that stage the meter is back on the more expensive day tariff.  So while still getting same number of hours at the cheaper tariff, it's not necessarily at the times I'm expecting.  It depends how the clock is set up.  Is the time-clock and time-switch the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi 32Kathryn,

Yes - that is correct.

You will have the same number of hours on the night-rate even if the time is an hour out.

Do you have a Night Storage Heater meter and a 24 hour meter, or do you have a Night Storage Heater meter and a Night Saver meter?

We do need to make you aware that night saving hours on the Night Storage Heater meter only are applicable for the storage heaters.

If you are unsure if your second meter is a 24 hour meter or a Night Saver meter, we can check this for you.

We require the following information to do so:

- Your full name
    - Your account number
    - The first line of your address
    - Your contact number or date of birth
    - Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)

Thanks,

Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 7 32Kathryn

Thank you - I will try to send PM to you now with the details needed.  thank you.

Advertisement