Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the PME

Options
  • 22-05-2017 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, I am just looking for opinions on something. I did the hdip (secondary teaching) a few years back and dropped out half way through as I got the feeling that teaching wasn't really for me for a myriad of reasons and it wasn't what I thought it would be (I had an idealized version of it), however there is a nagging little thought at the back of my mind that maybe if I went at it again it might be different, I know it is a two year course now and that you would be looking at over 10,000 to do it, in short am I mad to be even thinking about it given how it worked out for me the first time. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

creamdog88 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am just looking for opinions on something. I did the hdip (secondary teaching) a few years back and dropped out half way through as I got the feeling that teaching wasn't really for me for a myriad of reasons and it wasn't what I thought it would be (I had an idealized version of it), however there is a nagging little thought at the back of my mind that maybe if I went at it again it might be different, I know it is a two year course now and that you would be looking at over 10,000 to do it, in short am I mad to be even thinking about it given how it worked out for me the first time. Thanks

As I say to other posters, see if you can shadow a teacher for a week or so. Teaching isn't an easy job and you really have to be cut out for it. You don't want to spend 12,500 and realising that you don't like it. If teaching wasn't for you before - what has changed? Did you enjoy teaching practice? Also think about your subject(s) - are they in demand??

Advertisement