Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Teaching

Options
  • 22-05-2017 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am looking to apply for the PME in post primary education however I am having a difficulty understanding how to pick my second subject.

I have a business degree with over 60 credits so this would be my first teaching subject. However , I only have 10 credits for maths and 20 for economics & accounting! My question here is in order to be registered with the teaching council for two subjects would I have to undertake further study in Maths or Economics or Accounting in order to be able to teach those subjects?

I know that the teaching council only require you to have a degree in one subject (business in my case) in order to be registered, however I do not want to end up only being able to teach one subject as this would restrict me hugely when looking for a teaching position.

Any information would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Lou.K wrote: »
    I am looking to apply for the PME in post primary education however I am having a difficulty understanding how to pick my second subject.

I have a business degree with over 60 credits so this would be my first teaching subject. However , I only have 10 credits for maths and 20 for economics & accounting! My question here is in order to be registered with the teaching council for two subjects would I have to undertake further study in Maths or Economics or Accounting in order to be able to teach those subjects?

I know that the teaching council only require you to have a degree in one subject (business in my case) in order to be registered, however I do not want to end up only being able to teach one subject as this would restrict me hugely when looking for a teaching position.

Any information would be great

Yes unfortunately you need 54 credits in each subject you teach and I think you need 10 of those from first year. If you could get a job, you could do the free course in UL provided that you are teaching at least one class of maths per week and some study of maths. Now is also assuming that it is still running by the time you qualify and find a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lou.K

Yes unfortunately you need 54 credits in each subject you teach and I think you need 10 of those from first year. If you could get a job, you could do the free course in UL provided that you are teaching at least one class of maths per week and some study of maths. Now is also assuming that it is still running by the time you qualify and find a job.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have heard about this course but I can't imagine many schools would allow you to teach maths if you are not registered to teach the subject with the teaching council or would even look at you with just one subject - especially Business for which there are already a lot of teachers.

I rang Hibernia and they mentioned "the open university" as a way of getting the Maths credits but I have no idea how it works and worried it will cost a lot considering the PME is already costing 15k.

I feel like giving up on my application as it just seems so difficult to get any information from Hibernia or the Teaching Council. I would be leaving a full time permanent job.

Very Confused!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yes, Open University is very expensive. I did a history degree part time through Oscail. Cost about €5k. I got some back from the Marino return-of-fees scheme. It;s unlikely you'll get a job with just business so you should try to find some way to bring up the other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have heard about this course but I can't imagine many schools would allow you to teach maths if you are not registered to teach the subject with the teaching council or would even look at you with just one subject - especially Business for which there are already a lot of teachers.

I rang Hibernia and they mentioned "the open university" as a way of getting the Maths credits but I have no idea how it works and worried it will cost a lot considering the PME is already costing 15k.

I feel like giving up on my application as it just seems so difficult to get any information from Hibernia or the Teaching Council. I would be leaving a full time permanent job.

Very Confused!

Well the Teaching Council stance is: once you have a registered subject, it is up to the principal to decide what you teach to suit the needs of the school.

As you know business is over-subscribed so you may find it difficult to find work but you could always be lucky.

Yes you have a lot to think about especially having a permanent job already - I don't envy you. Best of luck with your decision and ask any questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Hibernia are only interested in getting you through the system. They don't really care about your job prospects after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

As you know business is over-subscribed so you may find it difficult to find work but you could always be lucky.

Anecdotally yes, in reality not sure. Early this year we had a 22hr vacancy for business. 2 applicants only.

Figure that one out if you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would be leaving a full time permanent job.

Honestly, if you were a relative of mine, I would say stay where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

spurious wrote: »
    Honestly, if you were a relative of mine, I would say stay where you are.

Also, take a look at this thread.... I know you have a big decision to make and I wish you all the best with it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057683320&page=2

Advertisement