Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    I agree. It gave me a marathon time (3:32) 10 mins slower than I actually ran, only 5 or 6 weeks after the ‘predictor’ HM (1:34).

Might be more accurate for first timers however.

It gives a 3:49 for me off a 1:40 half which I did last year. I ended up doing it in 3:47 so that adds credence to it being more accurate for first timers.

I was particularly interested in the fact that women convert half times into better fulls than men and also the huge difference in those who beat their predicted time depending on their training paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Just on the point of the long slow runs, I got the feeling when I am doing them how can I all of a sudden go from running slow over long distances to instantly switching to a faster pace come race day, how do people handle it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

kilns wrote: »
    Just on the point of the long slow runs, I got the feeling when I am doing them how can I all of a sudden go from running slow over long distances to instantly switching to a faster pace come race day, how do people handle it?

It’s a secret we are not supposed to ask about, I don’t get it myself either but I know it works having ran 2.75 marathons. TTT(thrust the training) as some say around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you should also be doing some faster runs during your training - races, or intervals, or tempos, or marathon pace runs, or...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

RayCun wrote: »

you should also be doing some faster runs during your training - races, or intervals, or tempos, or marathon pace runs, or...
    I do yes, during the week I run a various paces including hill sprinting etc but its just running for nearly 2 hours at a slow pace then being able to switch to running for 2 hours at a quicker pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

kilns wrote:
    I do yes, during the week I run a various paces including hill sprinting etc but its just running for nearly 2 hours at a slow pace then being able to switch to running for 2 hours at a quicker pace

It's more of a fine tuning the body process than switching to running fast. The long slow run forces body adaptations that don't happen at a faster pace as I understand it, like building mitochondria, increasing the blood volume, improves your muscle strength and endurance. That, combined with the other speed training all adds up to a more efficient racing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It gives a 3:49 for me off a 1:40 half which I did last year. I ended up doing it in 3:47 so that adds credence to it being more accurate for first timers.

I was particularly interested in the fact that women convert half times into better fulls than men and also the huge difference in those who beat their predicted time depending on their training paces.

I get a predicted time of 4:12 off a 1:52:31 HM (curiously that would be 4:22 if i was male). Most other calculators are giving me around 3:55. Seems quite conservative but i like it as an alternative to the many optimistic calculators available, might help me keep my ambitions realistic anyhow. I expect i will run somewhere between 3:55 and 4:12.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I must say I always found the optimistic calculators motivational, even if they turned out to be inaccurate. And in the end I used to get within a few minutes of the optimistic target that I had trained for. Pessimistic target = pessimistic training paces = self fulfilling prophecy?

The fact that the calculators are more accurate for women is interesting, and tracks well with the UCD research in recent years that showed women tending to run more even splits, probably because they chose more reasonable targets to begin with. Male runners, on the other hand, seem to have an unrealistic view of their ability, and therefore tend to start at a pace they can’t sustain. Sounds familiar to me anyway! So I suppose the sweet spot is in choosing a challenging target that is within the realms of possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

boydkev wrote: »
    I am looking for suggestions, For my last few marathons i have placed 2 gels in my shorts pocket and carried 1 in each hand as i usually only consume 4 during the races. I am toying with the idea of wearing a gel belt to get the ones out of my hands.
    I have looked at some in shops and online but cant decide, or would people suggest the flip belt classic. Looking for something simple and not intrusive.

I've just bought a pair of these from sportsshoes.com:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hst1070/higher-state-trail-5-inch-race-short/

There a bit on the long side for me for racing, but they are very very light. They have a big zip pocket that could comfortably fit 2 gels and 4 mesh pockets - you could fit a gel in each one. If you fold over the top of the gel it should stay in the pocket no problem. Ronhill had a similar pair that I've worn for 4 marathons and I never had an issue with the mesh pockets - but they are discontinued now. Caveat - I haven't worn them yet, as they only arrived this morning and they only have large sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Fueling:

I've been trialing out a few things, thought I'd give you guys an update for anyone else in the same situation. Here is my first post.

So I was racking my brain trying to come with better ways to top up and keep me going for the marathon/

I'm going to trial this bottle this for the 3/4 marathon in Kilkenny on Saturday:

https://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/TWFLSK.html

I have two of them. Plan is to have them full of powder, no water and squished into my flipbelt. When I need them, out they come and fill with water at the station. Fingers crossed plan works, if so I'll be in heaven. Will be NO need to even slow down on DCM day. No excuses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I've jumped on the Tailwind train
    Doing intervals tonight and doubled over with stomach cramps.
    I switched from a make it yourself maltodextrin/glucose mix to something pre mixed. Been drinking it the last few weeks. I wanted that little edge but wound up with the stomach from hell. I'm dairy intolerant so it stands to reason I'd react to other stuff.
    If Tailwind doesn't sit well it'll be back to home mixing

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I've jumped on the Tailwind train
    Doing intervals tonight and doubled over with stomach cramps.
    I switched from a make it yourself maltodextrin/glucose mix to something pre mixed. Been drinking it the last few weeks. I wanted that little edge but wound up with the stomach from hell. I'm dairy intolerant so it stands to reason I'd react to other stuff.
    If Tailwind doesn't sit well it'll be back to home mixing

I have an illness that badly effects my stomach and wasn't able to take anything. This is the only thing that works, I feel like a new person so very grateful to everyone on here for recommending it as I had never heard of it.

It says it's 'free of wheat, gluten, soy and dairy. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.' so I imagine you'll be fine. Best of luck with it/

Who’s running an Autumn marathon? Any goal times in mind yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

OOnegative wrote: »
    Who’s running an Autumn marathon? Any goal times in mind yet?

Amsterdam - target 4:00

Hamburg a possibility. < 3:20.

Hamburg a possibility. < 3:20.

That’s Autumn 2019 I take it D?

That’s Autumn 2019 I take it D?

I’m told it’s in April. :pac:

I’m told it’s in April. :pac:

Get ya D.

Get ya D.

Oops. Thought you said spring marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Dublin < 3:10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Classic21

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Dublin < 3:10

Good target, I will try to join you!

Classic21 wrote: »
    Good target, I will try to join you!

You're going very well at the moment, it should be a breeze for you.
    I see you are surrounding yourself with some top class runners on your long runs, some tasty faster finishes too...

I'd be glad of the company in Dublin, it will keep me from giving up at the first sign of a struggle ☺☺☺

I see you are surrounding yourself with some top class runners on your long runs, some tasty faster finishes too...

I'd be glad of the company in Dublin, it will keep me from giving up at the first sign of a struggle ☺☺☺

Or first sign of a pub!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Classic21

Going OK but it’s early yet, we will see after Charleville.
    Long runs are an eye opener. Each week a few more greyhounds are out. Hopefully the quick finishes will stand to me.
    You are getting into a good vein of form too I see, we should be near each other in Dublin

Any build up races planned Marty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hey, folks, ye want to improve your marathon times? Cool Youtube clip here of a fairly decent session. Admittedly the pace would probably have to be adjusted a bit. Ok, a lot. Like a couple of mins...... per rep!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHb2tbKoZR8

Any build up races planned Marty?

I'm in for Charleville next week. Not 100% on how to approach it.
    1. Go with sub 1:30 pace and be happy if it doesdn't take to much out of me.
    2. Go at sub 1:28 pace and try hang on if/when I struggle.....

My problem is I don't really know where I'm at with HM distance plus the fact I will not be doing any real taper for it just an easy day Saturday....

I'll probably do my usual decision making on the start line....... :o

Will do the Galway bay 10k in Oct for a last blast......

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I'm in for Charleville next week. Not 100% on how to approach it.
    1. Go with sub 1:30 pace and be happy if it doesdn't take to much out of me.
    2. Go at sub 1:28 pace and try hang on if/when I struggle.....

My problem is I don't really know where I'm at with HM distance plus the fact I will not be doing any real taper for it just an easy day Saturday....

I am exactly the same, I might go with 1.30 pacers and see if i can push on after 10 miles.
    I had a similar brain freeze leading up to the cork 10 miler and managed to get a 66min PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

boydkev wrote: »
    I am exactly the same, I might go with 1.30 pacers and see if i can push on after 10 miles.
    I had a similar brain freeze leading up to the cork 10 miler and managed to get a 66min PB.

Just saw a post on the event thread about a possible weather warning for Sunday so think best to decide on the start line!

• Advertisement

Have decided to pull out of Charleville. Niggling knee problem has curtailed my running this week. I'm gonna take the weekend off totally and take it from there.
    Hope to get going again next week...

Advertisement