Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading Photos to iCloud Very Slow

Options
  • 22-05-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Ive purchased some icloud space as my iPhone 6 16gb was getting full and i was having to delete stuff. Ive set photos to back up to icloud automatically but it seems very slow. On Friday there were 2255 photos to upload, today there are 2248. Is this normal? My WiFi is slow enough, but I've also got 4g mobile data. Is the lack of free internal memory hindering the upload speed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

If you wifi is slow than I'd say that's the issue, do you leave your phone connected to wifi and charging overnight so it can upload

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Uploads to iCloud will only ever use wifi. I suggest plugging the phone in beside your router. However your broadband speed just might not be good enough and you'll just have to wait for the upload to complete over a couple of nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

Plug the phone into your computer and move your photos across, do this every few weeks

Seen too many icloud problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Download Google photos. I used it on all my iOS devices. Was using iCloud, but it's a piece of garbage. It's too slow for purpose. Moved everything to Dropbox in the end.

With Google photo's there's a 'High Quality' option - free but your photos will be compressed. You won't be able to notice it though. They've a really good compression algorithm.

Then there's the 'Original' option which counts against your 15GB free allocation. If you use up 15GB, you'll have to pay for storage - 20e for 100GB for a year. So better value than iCloud's lower option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Technique wrote: »
    Ive purchased some icloud space as my iPhone 6 16gb was getting full and i was having to delete stuff.  Ive set photos to back up to icloud automatically but it seems very slow. On Friday there were 2255 photos to upload, today there are 2248. Is this normal? My WiFi is slow enough, but I've also got 4g mobile data. Is the lack of free internal memory hindering the upload speed?

Thanks in advance.
    Creamy Goodness' advice here is good.

I've also found that if there's a bogey image in the photos (e.g. sometimes a downloaded photo rather than one you take yourself) it can prevent icloud syncing.

I've used iCloud for years - it works very very well - I trust it completely at this stage, rather than screwing around with local storage, NAS' etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Also I think you have to be in photos and have the phone unlocked? Given the amount of photos to upload it might be best to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Also I think you have to be in photos and have the phone unlocked? Given the amount of photos to upload it might be best to do that?
    You don't. As long as the phone is plugged in and connected to wifi it will upload. You don't need to have the photos app open.

The same can't be said for other photo apps like google photos which do need you to open the app for it to upload.

Advertisement