Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JTMan wrote: »
    I had a truly awful experience with eGlobal about a year ago. Shipment was fine but a return for a fault was beyond a nightmare. Took months to process a return and bananas amount of chasing their beyond useless CS.

Never want to deal with eGlobal again. Not keen buying off eBay either. Amazon.es have the V20 but it is 400 EUR.

Is there another recommended site for where to purchase the V20?

Thanks.

Just swallow the surcharge and pay with PayPal. Two/three weeks in resolution centre and you have your money back. Return shipping is covered by PayPal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

The V30 is out next month, these might get a price drop soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

rizzee wrote:
    The V30 is out next month, these might get a price drop soon?

I don't think it can go much lower than 300. I'd say they're trying to clear stock before the V30 launch. It's less than 300 with a discount code at the moment on eglobal

tedpan wrote: »
    I don't think it can go much lower than 300. I'd say they're trying to clear stock before the V30 launch. It's less than 300 with a discount code at the moment on eglobal

Thanks , will check it out

Have checked out lots of review about the v20 and mostly positive.

Its between this, A5 or Xz.

Does the lack of waterproof or dustproof put anyone off? I've never needed it and I'm still trying to convince myself that!!

Also future proof wise compared to the other 2 phones? Is it quite bulky?

I take the odd snap, my main thing in a phone is a battery to last me through the day and something that is fast, fluid through apps.

Mainly just chrome and Facebook.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote:
    Does the lack of waterproof or dustproof put anyone off? I've never needed it and I'm still trying to convince myself that!!

That doesn't really bother me, although it did take a few splashes when on holidays and still works perfectly.
    rizzee wrote:
    Also future proof wise compared to the other 2 phones? Is it quite bulky?

The still processor and ram outperform mosr phones on the market. It definitely is not a small phone, with the secondary screen, it's basically a 6.0" device. I use mine without a case and it looks smart. Nobody knows what phone it is too.
    rizzee wrote:
    I take the odd snap, my main thing in a phone is a battery to last me through the day and something that is fast, fluid through apps.

Yep, the screen is great but does use battery if playing games. Everyday use, you'll easily have a day's charge.

rizzee wrote:
    Mainly just chrome and Facebook.

It should be faster than anything you've used before. I haven't seen lag

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

rizzee wrote: »
    Its between this, A5 or Xz.

The A5 is a great phone if you like Samsung.
    Very bright Super AMOLED screen, waterproof and lag free from what I've seen.
    It has received official nougat and I'd imagine next year will receive Oreo at some stage (Samsung aren't the fastest in that regard though).

One downside is that the main camera doesn't have OIS on the latest model. Might be an important aspect to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I've taken the plunge with an LG V20 after reading the thread. At €295 with a code on eGlobal it seemed good value. Is the charger much hassle seeing as you need an adapter for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I've taken the plunge with an LG V20 after reading the thread. At €295 with a code on eGlobal it seemed good value. Is the charger much hassle seeing as you need an adapter for it?

No hassle at all and comes with the adaptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »

Cheers, just a waiting game now to see when it ships. I'll update when I get it.

kwestfan08 wrote:

Nice one, several boardsies got this deal. Great all round phone, the stereo DAC just makes listening to music class.

Just as an aside, I see CEX will give you €374 store credit for a LG V20. So if you had your eye on something you're getting a good deal on a €295 phone.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLGH990DS64GTUNLB#.WZytISh97IU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Currently looking at moto G5, E4 plus & G4 plus. Need a sub 200 euro phone. Is there a clear winner from these three or other that I am missing?
    Non bill and buying in ship would be much preferred (as I need it asap)
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Just bought another V20, for myself this time :) The Black looks really smart. For 295e including delivery, it had to be done. The display on my Mate 8 has been replaced twice now and it's not great in sunlight.

Anyone interested in the Mate 8? All working apart from the screen's not ultra bright.

Just bought another V20, for myself this time :) The Black looks really smart. For 295e including delivery, it had to be done. The display on my Mate 8 has been replaced twice now and it's not great in sunlight.

Anyone interested in the Mate 8? All working apart from the screen's not ultra bright.

It arrived in the UK on Wednesday, it is now in Belgium for some reason??

Ah well, another few days to wait I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

It arrived in the UK on Wednesday, it is now in Belgium for some reason??

Ah well, another few days to wait I suppose

It's ok don't worry. It must be accompanying my one.:rolleyes:
    It was cleared customs in UK for 2 days and now also in Belgium this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mines in belgium after being in Middlesex. Waht cases are ye going to get for it, i cant find an otterbox for it?!

T-Bird wrote:
    It's ok don't worry. It must be accompanying my one. It was cleared customs in UK for 2 days and now also in Belgium this morning.

Nice one! Phones haven't gone that way in the past.. Did you get it for 295e too? The price has gone up again!

Nice one! Phones haven't gone that way in the past.. Did you get it for 295e too? The price has gone up again!

Yes with discount. I took out insurance as its the first time I actually got anything from eglobal.

If it all works out and customs seems to be cleared by them (which it was), I will be buying from them more often. This 10 euro handling fee by anpost is a bit of ripoff..

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote:
    Yes with discount. I took out insurance as its the first time I actually got anything from eglobal.

Nice one. Unfortunately the insurance is a bit of a rip off. They ship the same either way. I've learned from ordering at least 10 times at this stage.
    T-Bird wrote:
    If it all works out and customs seems to be cleared by them (which it was), I will be buying from them more often. This 10 euro handling fee by anpost is a bit of ripoff..

True, eglobal cover the customs charges so all's good :) hopefully get it Monday/Tuesday!

Mines in belgium after being in Middlesex. Waht cases are ye going to get for it, i cant find an otterbox for it?!

This is probably closest but mite make it a bit bulky considering its size already

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32811418717.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32811418717&productSubject=32811418717&shortkey=3MRji2yy&addresstype=600

I just ordered a couple of covers for a couple of dollars each. I'll probably keep doing that until I find one I like.

The V20 is military grade for drops, so not going to get a case, it will just be too big. Got this instead, it arrived in 3 days, waiting to install it :)

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/282255948008

The brushed black 3d option

Cheers, just a waiting game now to see when it ships. I'll update when I get it.

LG V20 arrived yesterday. So just 7 working days delivered which isn't bad at all. Seems a great phone for that price so thanks everyone who flagged it up.

This is what I picked up. I'm afraid its going to make it very bulky but I'm a serial breaker of phone screens so I'm just going to have to deal with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRR0VCE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Seems to be nearly impossible to get a Nokia 6 right now. All three stores in Dublin seem to be out of stock, and can't say when they're getting any more.

ZeroThreat wrote:
    Seems to be nearly impossible to get a Nokia 6 right now. All three stores in Dublin seem to be out of stock, and can't say when they're getting any more.

You could still buy sim free from eglobal for 230euro?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Small bit of advice needed.

A new android phone is needed today. Budget is €200 firm. Argos have a Moto G5 sim free in stock locally.

Is there anything better than that around?

A new android phone is needed today. Budget is €200 firm. Argos have a Moto G5 sim free in stock locally.

Is there anything better than that around?

I don't think you'll get anything comparable for your budget locally, unless you find a decent used phone on adverts.ie, which tend to be overpriced anyway.

Argos, carphone warehouse, phone shop are your only options if you need something today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't think you'll get anything comparable for your budget locally, unless you find a decent used phone on adverts.ie, which tend to be overpriced anyway.

Argos, carphone warehouse, phone shop are your only options if you need something today.

Thanks. Carphone warehouse don't offer sim free phones. Called in there yesterday.

Advertisement