Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

tedpan wrote: »
    The Global Version is your safest bet. They have the black in stock, but is 20eur more.

There's also this, which is closer in size to your 5x.. Superior processor too for 213e :)

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_706441.html?wid=4

My V20 just arrived. The fun begins..!

Going to go for this since the other one won't fit in my pockets! :) Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

podgey1992 wrote: »
    Going to go for this since the other one won't fit in my pockets! :) Thanks for all your help.

I have it about 4 months now. Really like it. Screen is excellent, Camera above average. Fast charge is v handy. Paid €290 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

podgey1992 wrote:
    Going to go for this since the other one won't fit in my pockets! Thanks for all your help.

Awesome! It's 210e now. Let us know how you get on. Also remember it's a two week wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Bykobap

So i am going to get v20 from eglobal. Any codes going and which version should i choose.
    Tia.

Bykobap wrote:
    So i am going to get v20 from eglobal. Any codes going and which version should i choose. Tia.

Use buybe4leave for 6.99 off

They are all the same, just depends which colour you like. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ordered the V20 from Eglobal yesterday. Came in about 325 inc extra battery kit and delivery. Been using Oneplus 3 for the last 10 months, it's grand but just a bit bored of it now. Gonna sell it so should hopefully break evenish. Is anyone using the v20 without a case. I'd like to considering it's size but the reports on the rear camera breaking very easily would have me nervous of placing it down on any surface. I see you can get replacement kits for about a fiver on ebay, might do that as a precaution also it will probably be months coming from China anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Ordered the V20 from Eglobal yesterday. Came in about 325 inc extra battery kit and delivery. Been using Oneplus 3 for the last 10 months, it's grand but just a bit bored of it now. Gonna sell it so should hopefully break evenish. Is anyone using the v20 without a case. I'd like to considering it's size but the reports on the rear camera breaking very easily would have me nervous of placing it down on any surface. I see you can get replacement kits for about a fiver on ebay, might do that as a precaution also it will probably be months coming from China anyway

I'm using it without a case for now, but have ordered a couple.

I think the screen size is making it sound like a beast I was expecting a huge phone and it isn't. Its the same width and no more than 5mm taller than my oneplus2.

It dropped in the floor the other day from about 2ft and the back and battery separated. So I think a cover is defiantly recommended.

I'm using without a case. I have a vinyl skin on it at the moment, but I think I'd rather have nothing and will remove it tomorrow.

The phone cost 300e so not the end of the world if it gets a scratch or two. It's military graded so can definitely take a drop. Phones feel and perform better without screen protectors and cases too.

Awesome! It's 210e now. Let us know how you get on. Also remember it's a two week wait!

went for DHL shipping, ordered Monday and it arrived today! Phone seems great, but the only issue is the download speed over wifi on the play store and using internet browser is crazy slow (150kb/s on a 900MB/s connection), it struggles to load simple things and downloads are taking an age - apparently it's a problem with xiaomi being set up for china and not here - Does anyone know of a solution to this as it's very frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

My wife's old Samsung is on its last legs and she wants a new Samsung phone, but nothing too fancy - what would people recommend around the €200-€300, if any exist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Maybe this one..

Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 SM-A320F

https://pricespy.ie/product.php?p=4068701

Komplett are showing at 259 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

VikingG wrote: »
    Maybe this one..

For an extra 30/40 euro you can get a brand new sealed sim free A5 2017, a much better choice for the couple of quid extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Where can
    rizzee wrote: »
    VikingG wrote: »
    Maybe this one..  

For an extra 30/40 euro you can get a brand new sealed sim free A5 2017, a much better choice for the couple of quid extra.
    Where can you get the A5 for €300? Seeing it for €350+

ionapaul wrote: »
    My wife's old Samsung is on its last legs and she wants a new Samsung phone, but nothing too fancy - what would people recommend around the €200-€300, if any exist?

The A5 is less than 280e too

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/#/product/20123

went for DHL shipping, ordered Monday and it arrived today! Phone seems great, but the only issue is the download speed over wifi on the play store and using internet browser is crazy slow (150kb/s on a 900MB/s connection), it struggles to load simple things and downloads are taking an age - apparently it's a problem with xiaomi being set up for china and not here - Does anyone know of a solution to this as it's very frustrating :(

That's a strange one alright..

I've read the below and people are saying that if you get a Xiaomi dongle(less than $10) which plugs into your router, you will get vastly increased speeds over WiFi.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max/help/max-wifi-speed-wifi-extremely-slow-miui-t3532305/page1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I was going to suggest adverts.ie , good few shops selling for 289 and 299 there.

That's a strange one alright..

I've read the below and people are saying that if you get a Xiaomi dongle(less than $10) which plugs into your router, you will get vastly increased speeds over WiFi.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max/help/max-wifi-speed-wifi-extremely-slow-miui-t3532305/page1

I installed the MiUI update and all is well. It's a great phone, no lag, very fast, excellent screen resolution. MiUI is excellent! Really happy with it :) just scared I'll drop it so waiting on a cover from aliexpress now. Thanks again for the recommendation :)

podgey1992 wrote:
    I installed the MiUI update and all is well. It's a great phone, no lag, very fast, excellent screen resolution. MiUI is excellent! Really happy with it just scared I'll drop it so waiting on a cover from aliexpress now. Thanks again for the recommendation

No worries at all mate, glad you're happy! :) Xiaomi will be taking over the world soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My wife drowned her Samsung S6. She's stuck in a contract for another 18 months so I'm looking to get her a relatively cheap replacement. The Xiaomis look like great phones for the money but there are so many of them and global/international versions and different 4G bands so I'm kind of overwhelmed with choice.

Could someone please recommend one to me? Budget is around €200 (could stretch to €250) and minimum screen size is 5". She doesn't use the phone for anything too intensive, no games or anything, mostly just Reddit/Facebook/YouTube.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Vojera wrote: »
    My wife drowned her Samsung S6. She's stuck in a contract for another 18 months so I'm looking to get her a relatively cheap replacement. The Xiaomis look like great phones for the money but there are so many of them and global/international versions and different 4G bands so I'm kind of overwhelmed with choice.

Could someone please recommend one to me? Budget is around €200 (could stretch to €250) and minimum screen size is 5". She doesn't use the phone for anything too intensive, no games or anything, mostly just Reddit/Facebook/YouTube.

Thanks in advance!

This one has been recommended a few times on here. Probably going to order one myself. https://www.honorbuy.com/1103-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-international-version-64gb-black.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Guys I'm looking at the Moto G5 in Argos for €190 - anyone any thoughts/experiences:

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=motorola+g5&authToken=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

dsaint1 wrote: »
    This one has been recommended a few times on here. Probably going to order one myself. https://www.honorbuy.com/1103-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-international-version-64gb-black.html
    Cool, thank you! Will this be okay with Tesco Mobile 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

steve_r wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking at the Moto G5 in Argos for €190 - anyone any thoughts/experiences:

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=motorola+g5&authToken=

Got one myself recently from Argos. Nothing spectacular but good value for the price. Got a case on Amazon as the phone is very slippery. Micro SD card can be put in for storage if you run out of space.

I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

If you dont mind me asking how much was the import duty on the phone?

Automan wrote:
    If you dont mind me asking how much was the import duty on the phone?

Don't think anyone's had to pay any additional charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Don't think anyone's had to pay any additional charges.

Are they not coming from China? Is GearBeast paying the duty?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

steve_r wrote: »

not bad the app tray is not great . Motorolas are not my favourite

will be getting android 8 in coming months

Automan wrote:
    Are they not coming from China? Is GearBeast paying the duty?

Yep, they ship into a European warehouse and then ship express post to Ireland. Takes up to 10 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Yep, they ship into a European warehouse and then ship express post to Ireland. Takes up to 10 working days

GearBeast?

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote:
    GearBeast?

Yep

Advertisement