Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep

Good to know, I have never bought from them. They have a good selection of things other than phones that I might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

T-Bird wrote:
    Good to know, I have never bought from them. They have a good selection of things other than phones that I might be interested in.

Yep, I'm broke because of gearbest lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

steve_r wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking at the Moto G5 in Argos for €190 - anyone any thoughts/experiences:

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=motorola+g5&authToken=

Good experience here too. A great phone at that price level. Be wary of unsealed handsets from Argos however. I rejected 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep, they ship into a European warehouse and then ship express post to Ireland. Takes up to 10 working days

So did a little bit more digging into this and it seems to depend which warehouse the product is coming from, so if the EU warehouse then there is no import duty, if from China warehouse you must select priority line (Ireland express) as the shipping method as apparently GearBest have some sort of agreement with a logistics courier which is responsible for the clearance of the product in the UK and apperently no custom fees to the customer, see thread in boards sponsored GearBest forum for more details: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661342&page=5
    Unclear if you will get stung with import duty using any other warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

I bought a Xiaomi redmi note 4 from geekbuying.com from one of the european warehouses. It took 3 days to arrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ddx05

Thinking of buying a V20 from Eglobal, has anybody who bought a v20 from there had any problems with the shipping or the phone itself? Also, anyone have some eglobal codes? ;)

ddx05 wrote:
    Thinking of buying a V20 from Eglobal, has anybody who bought a v20 from there had any problems with the shipping or the phone itself? Also, anyone have some eglobal codes?

I think the majority of people have purchased their V20 from eglobal. No issues with shipping apart from delivery taking 6-10 working days. No additional charges

Code
    Buybe4leave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

ddx05 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a V20 from Eglobal, has anybody who bought a v20 from there had any problems with the shipping or the phone itself? Also, anyone have some eglobal codes? ;)

No problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

No problems from me either. Seems a great phone for the price. Only minor gripe is it may be slighter bigger than I'd ideally like but its my first phablet so I'd say I'm just getting used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ddx05

No problems
    kwestfan08 wrote: »
    No problems from me either. Seems a great phone for the price. Only minor gripe is it may be slighter bigger than I'd ideally like but its my first phablet so I'd say I'm just getting used to it.

Great, thanks! Im really only buying it as a replacement to my M8. Cant seem to find a non HTC phone with comparable audio quality other than the V20 or the Axon 7. I will order in the next few days probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm still waiting on mine having ordered from eglobal this day 2 weeks ago. Last update on the tracking from 18th indicates it isn't even in the country yet. Hopefully it arrives by end of this week coming. So yeah just be prepared for up to 3 week wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I'm still waiting on mine having ordered from eglobal this day 2 weeks ago. Last update on the tracking from 18th indicates it isn't even in the country yet. Hopefully it arrives by end of this week coming. So yeah just be prepared for up to 3 week wait

send them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Del007 wrote: »
    I bought a Xiaomi redmi note 4 from geekbuying.com from one of the european warehouses. It took 3 days to arrive

Can you post the link? How are you finding the phone ? Trying to decide between this and Moto G5 for girlfriend who needs a new phone. Would Moto G4 plus be decent even though a bit older? Would be hoping new phone would last 2yrs minimum. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Would be interested in peoples opinions on the Moto E4 Plus as well.

A-Trak wrote:
    Would be interested in peoples opinions on the Moto E4 Plus as well.

Very basic, but not bad for 150eur, maybe suitable for a first phone? Mediatek chip and screen are average. I'd recommend purchasing a phone with a Snapdragon chipset and more ram which will give a far better experience and future proofing for maybe 50 euro more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Del007 wrote: »

bought 1 on the 13th Sep. ... in Ireland since last wed. with no idea of delivery date.

DHL are an utter disaster if you live in the sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

orm0nd wrote: »
    bought 1 on the 13th Sep. ... in Ireland since last wed. with no idea of delivery date.

DHL are an utter disaster if you live in the sticks

well phone arrived to day, driver rang looking for directions and after some time & a lot of explaining got here

just wondering why they don't use eircodes?,

I almost a OAP, a farmer & use google maps and eircode, these guys are professional couriers and still looking for directions !!

Anyhow all's well & I,m happy with my wee purchase, mainly influenced by the advise on here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any suggestions for best phone for battery life? 5.5' screen and decent camera is all I'm looking. Don't use phone for music, watching films etc

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Hi all , just looking for a quick bit of advice here from those who are definitely more tech savvy than me !!
    After reading this thread I think I'm decided on a Xaoimi Redmi Note 4. I wanted the 4gb Ram/64gb , but the crowd I'm looking to buy from only have the 3gb ram/32gb version in stock. Is there much noticeable difference in these ? I'm not worried about the difference between the rom? - ie 32gb versus 64gb as I can can an SD card... it's the 3gb versus 4gb of ram that I'm unsure of ? Any advice gladly received.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

dsaint1 wrote: »
    This one has been recommended a few times on here. Probably going to order one myself. https://www.honorbuy.com/1103-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-international-version-64gb-black.html

thinking about ordering this but - have two questions
    1) did anyone get hit with customs charges. can not for the life of me figure out if I pay 36 euro for the dhl delivery (DHL From China -EU Warehouse Express) will I get hit with custom charges

2) should I go with the international or global version

thanks

• Advertisement

cathalj wrote:
    Hi all , just looking for a quick bit of advice here from those who are definitely more tech savvy than me !! After reading this thread I think I'm decided on a Xaoimi Redmi Note 4. I wanted the 4gb Ram/64gb , but the crowd I'm looking to buy from only have the 3gb ram/32gb version in stock. Is there much noticeable difference in these ? I'm not worried about the difference between the rom? - ie 32gb versus 64gb as I can can an SD card... it's the 3gb versus 4gb of ram that I'm unsure of ? Any advice gladly received. Thanks in advance.

There will be very little difference. The processor is the same. Maybe if you had 50 apps open, you'd notice. Just get an additional SD card for more storage.

tedpan wrote:
    There will be very little difference. The processor is the same. Maybe if you had 50 apps open, you'd notice. Just get an additional SD card for more storage.

Thanks tedpan , yeah not worried about the extra storage , because as you say , I'll just bang in an SD card...... I just wasn't sure what impact 3gb v 4gb of ram made..... good to know you don't think it'll be that noticeable. Can I ask, was it you that recommend purchasing from 'the solution shop' in the UK earlier in this thread ?.... their website seems to be down atm

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

thinking about ordering this but - have two questions
    1) did anyone get hit with customs charges. can not for the life of me figure out if I pay 36 euro for the dhl delivery (DHL From China -EU Warehouse Express) will I get hit with custom charges

2) should I go with the international or global version

thanks

Select Officical international version. It comes from EU warehouse so no customs. Delivery cost 29.95. You should get €5 discount when you sign up. I ordered the 4g 64gb in Gray colour last Wednesday, had it delivered Friday morning.

dsaint1 wrote:
    Select Officical international version. It comes from EU warehouse so no customs. Delivery cost 29.95. You should get €5 discount when you sign up. I ordered the 4g 64gb in Gray colour last Wednesday, had it delivered Friday morning.

Thanks also for this info....... happy with it so far ?

cathalj wrote:
    Thanks tedpan , yeah not worried about the extra storage , because as you say , I'll just bang in an SD card...... I just wasn't sure what impact 3gb v 4gb of ram made..... good to know you don't think it'll be that noticeable. Can I ask, was it you that recommend purchasing from 'the solution shop' in the UK earlier in this thread ?.... their website seems to be down atm

No worries, yeah it will be a negligible difference for nearly everything, even with gaming.

I can't recommend as I haven't purchased from them, but usually boardsies give good advice. I've used eglobal and gearbest from Asia without any issues. eBay and Amazon from Europe.

cathalj wrote: »
    Thanks also for this info....... happy with it so far ?

Yes, cannot fault it at this price or even twice the price. Very impressed, quick and responsive. Coming from an iPhone 5 it felt big in the hand but got used to it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes, cannot fault it at this price or even twice the price. Very impressed, quick and responsive. Coming from an iPhone 5 it felt big in the hand but got used to it very quickly.

How is battery life for you on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

With the Nokia 6 out of stock until late October, I'm still on the look out for a new phone. I did like the look of the Nokia 5 and when I used it right beside the Nokia 6 the speeds opening and using apps seemed very similar. If I was to call it I'd say the 5 was a little faster. I guess that could be down to the smaller 720p screen. To be honest I couldn't see much difference in the display when using them. Anyone with the 5, how has it been so far?

I did a bit of googling and it seems that a 1080 screen of the 5-5.5 inch size at the standard distance of use does not give the user any significant advantage. What is your personal experience?

I also looked at the moto g5. Seems good value with a 1080 screen and 5.2 display. Nice a fast also. I guess the stock Android on these moto and nokia phones also help in terms of performance. Seems to get good reviews also. My wife has a G4 and apart from the screen jumping from time to time, it seems solid. Anyone experience of the moto g5?

Pity the P2 has gone up in price.

GBX wrote: »
    How is battery life for you on it?

I've been using it more than usual (novelty of new phone) as I,ve been testing out settings/apps etc but it's showing between 40-50% left after a day and that's with screen about 80% brightness. So, no complaints. I'd expect to get 2 full days with normal use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've been using it more than usual (novelty of new phone) as I,ve been testing out settings/apps etc but it's showing between 40-50% left after a day and that's with screen about 80% brightness. So, no complaints. I'd expect to get 2 full days with normal use.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide between this or the xiaomi mi a1 but that has a lower battery.

Advertisement