Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

GBX wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm trying to decide between this or the xiaomi mi a1 but that has a lower battery.

I thinks there's a wait time for the A1 and the only major difference I can see is the twin camera feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Select Officical international version. It comes from EU warehouse so no customs. Delivery cost 29.95. You should get €5 discount when you sign up. I ordered the 4g 64gb in Gray colour last Wednesday, had it delivered Friday morning.

thanks for that. I was adding a screen protector which was screwing everything up. once I removed this everything worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I thinks there's a wait time for the A1 and the only major difference I can see is the twin camera feature.

The A1 has stock android for those not into Miui

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Got the Moto G5s Plus last week myself. I would highly reccomend it, got the phone, good case and screen protectors for under €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got the Moto G5s Plus last week myself. I would highly reccomend it, got the phone, good case and screen protectors for under €300.

The girlfriend ordered a Moto G5S Plus from Amazon.it last Thursday for €229. Arrived today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The girlfriend ordered a Moto G5S Plus from Amazon.it last Thursday for €229. Arrived today.
    Great price, to be fair . No stock back when i was ordering you cant go wrong for that price.

Great price, to be fair . No stock back when i was ordering you cant go wrong for that price.

She had got a Moto Z Play from Amazon Warehouse but it won't charge unless she reboots the phone so we've returned that one and replaced it with the G5S plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

emmetkenny wrote: »

Seem to be 299 now.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Seem to be 299 now.

It went back up the day after she'd ordered. I had posted in the Moto Thread about the reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Select Officical international version. It comes from EU warehouse so no customs. Delivery cost 29.95. You should get €5 discount when you sign up. I ordered the 4g 64gb in Gray colour last Wednesday, had it delivered Friday morning.

Hi dsaint1, how is the camera in it compared to your iphone?

• Advertisement

so i ordered a note 4 international

arrived today (very fast delivery) box says global version

any ideas as to what the differences is

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

cannot get the exact lin but this is the product description of what was meant to be sent

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 International Version 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Gray - Option : Official International 4+64GB Gray

It probably just means you got the version with band 20 which should give you 4g in all areas. The non global doesnt have this band. You're good to go.

It probably just means you got the version with band 20 which should give you 4g in all areas. The non global doesnt have this band. You're good to go.

thanks for that. have queried with honorbuy. if i hear anything back i will let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I noticed on Honorbuy that the link says "international version" but the photos say "Global Version".

Mine arrived yesterday and says "Global Version" on the box, but the paperwork inside confirms that it has the required Band 20 so it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I was looking at the Nokia 6 (out of stock) and Lenovo P2 (price increased), so I'm now having to either wait or set my sights on something else.

How are you guys finding the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Same here , just setting it up now ... step 2 - choose your region , there's no option for Ireland or the UK , was yours the same ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

cathalj wrote: »
    Same here , just setting it up now ... step 2 - choose your region , there's no option for Ireland or the UK , was yours the same ?

Mine arrived today. Same issue. Googled it.Found an australian forum. They all set to Hong kong. People in the Uk set to France. closest country on the list. Good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I set my wife's to Germany. Apparently it makes no odds at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Anyone have any joy in setting up the Apn settings for data browsing with a Virgin Mobile SIM card?.... Have tried googling it but not having any luck.

With the xaiomi redmi note 4

thanks for that. have queried with honorbuy. if i hear anything back i will let you know

Response from honorbuy

Hello,
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Please don't worry.
    The international version and the global version are the same version.
    You can call it international version or Global version.
    Have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevin700

uote="Alanstrainor;103589630"]Hey guys, I'm sure this is a common request, but as per title I'm looking for something sub €300.

I currently use a smart ultra 6, which I've had for almost 2 years. It has served me well and is still going just fine. My main issue with it now is the lack of RAM. 2GB just doesn't cut it any more. I generally use it for web, reddit, and whatsapp. Some snapchat/insta etc thrown in. I find that switching between apps now means relaunching every time which is tedious.

Requirements are as follows:
    5-5.5" screen, would potentially go a little bigger.
    3GB of RAM at least.
    Large all day battery.
    USB C would be preferred.

Outside of that I'm pretty easy really. I had been looking at this:

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-platinum-7-pay-as-you-go-black

It's a tad old though, and only just meets RAM requirements. Perhaps there will be a new version 8 soon too... I've been looking at Xiaomi options but there's so much choice there. Anyone have any ideas?[/quote]

Hi I have a Xiaomi redmi 4 for the last year and consider it an excellent device. Have a look on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I have a Smart Platinum 7 for over a year now and am pretty sick of it. It's slowed down considerably and I'm still on Marshmallow. Vodafone still haven't rolled out Nougat.
    Also, this week the battery has started dying ridiculously quickly. Went to bed last night with the battery at 100% at midnight and it was down to 20% at 7am.
    I'm hoping it's a rogue app. Checked the battery stats and it said it was all down to Android OS.
    Build quality is reasonable although it's started to fall apart a bit in the last few months. Doubt I'd go for something similar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't read the whole thread so I apologise if the info I'm looking for is here somewhere.

Basically, I planned on going out tomorrow to pick up the Samsung Galaxy J5 for my partner whose birthday is coming up. I read reviews online and it seemed grand. My budget is strict at €300 and I cannot stretch it anymore. The Samsung Galaxy is €279.99 from Tesco.

But then I found reviews online for the Moto G5S (€249.99 on Tescomobile.ie-my partner is with Tesco) and now I'm torn.

Which phone would you suggest is better?

His current phone is the Motorola 2nd Gen (2015 edition) and it's a pile o'sh*te with the worst camera and no flash; eff-all memory and loads of lag and I vowed never to buy a Motorola again, but people are raving about the G5S and I'm wondering should I go for that instead of the Samsung Galaxy J5?

Also, silly question, but if I do buy the phone from Tesco's website (not available in-store), does it come with earphones and a charger?

Thank you in advance guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

The G5S is a better buy. The J5 is pretty average. Both phones are worth closer to 200eur. Is there any reason you're buying from Tesco? Do you need it now? I'd definitely buy something far better with the 300eur budget from Asia.

tedpan wrote: »
    The G5S is a better buy. The J5 is pretty average. Both phones are worth closer to 200eur. Is there any reason you're buying from Tesco? Do you need it now? I'd definitely buy something far better with the 300eur budget from Asia.

Hiya, thanks for your reply!

I was sticking with Tesco because my fella is with Tesco. I know you can get phones unlocked in certain shops but the last time I did that, it was a disaster and it put me off, so I just thought I was best off staying with Tesco for purchasing (fella doesn't want to leave the network).

Yes I do kinda need it this week; his birthday is next weekend.
    Do you think I would be doing good buying the Moto G5S?
    Would you say he'd be happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

fussyonion wrote:
    Yes I do kinda need it this week; his birthday is next weekend. Do you think I would be doing good buying the Moto G5S? Would you say he'd be happy with it?

All the phones would be unlocked from Asia, but if you need it quick, get it from Tesco.

My mate has the the Moto and loves it. It will do everyday stuff with ease. I'm sure it'll do the job! Definitely no point in spending extra on the J5, not worth it.

tedpan wrote: »
    All the phones would be unlocked from Asia, but if you need it quick, get it from Tesco.

My mate has the the Moto and loves it. It will do everyday stuff with ease. I'm sure it'll do the job! Definitely no point in spending extra on the J5, not worth it.

Thanks so much, tedpan; just reading back some pages in this thread and you're so helpful to everyone. I really appreciate your help, thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Info on European release dates and prices for the Xiaomi Mi A1 in the link, looks like Italy will be the cheapest at €220, hopefully Amazon.it will have good pricing

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1_goes_on_sale_in_europe-news-27595.php

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement