Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Do-more wrote:
    Info on European release dates and prices for the Xiaomi Mi A1 in the link, looks like Italy will be the cheapest at €220, hopefully Amazon.it will have good pricing

Awesome phone. Has all the 4G bands too. The global version with OTA updates is 205euro at gearbest. If you can get it for 220 within Europe though, you're winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tedpan wrote: »
    Awesome phone. Has all the 4G bands too. The global version with OTA updates is 205euro at gearbest. If you can get it for 220 within Europe though, you're winning!

Looks a lovely phone. Xiaomi seem to make great products, I was tempted by the Air laptop when Gearbest had it on sale a while ago.

https://m.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_425390.html?wid=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Do-more wrote: »
    Info on European release dates and prices for the Xiaomi Mi A1 in the link, looks like Italy will be the cheapest at €220, hopefully Amazon.it will have good pricing

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1_goes_on_sale_in_europe-news-27595.php

Any idea what the battery is like and how long it takes to charge?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any idea what the battery is like and how long it takes to charge?

80 hour endurance rating on gsmarena, which is decent. Also has quick charge, so I'd imagine 1-1.5 hours to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Basil3 wrote: »
    80 hour endurance rating on gsmarena, which is decent. Also has quick charge, so I'd imagine 1-1.5 hours to charge.

you sure it has quick charge? i think it has usb3 but no quick charge. charge time is 1 1/2 to 2 hours going on one of the reviews i watched on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

south wrote: »
    Basil3 wrote: »

you sure it has quick charge? i think it has usb3 but no quick charge. charge time is 1 1/2 to 2 hours going on one of the reviews i watched on youtube
    I don't think it has quick charge, I have been considering the Mi A1 or a Moto G5S Plus for my next phone and any comparison vids I have looked at point that out as one of the main features that seperates the two.

Not that worried about the lack of quick charging myself as I don't think it is very good for battery life anyway.

Lenovo's poor record on software updates is more of a concern, whereas the A1 should get very rapid updates.

It's a pity that the A1 has poorer camera performance and no video image stabilization compared to the Moto, it could come in a future update but I wouldn't bet on it.

It's a difficult choice for me and will probably come down to price but at the moment I think I will go for the A1.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Torn between the Xiaomi mi A1 and the Moto G5s at this stage. Reviews for both seem positive.
    Anyone got any advice regarding which one to go for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

Heroditas wrote: »
    Torn between the Xiaomi mi A1 and the Moto G5s at this stage. Reviews for both seem positive.

I'm the same as yourself although I'm considering the g5s plus v mi a1.

Think I'll wait for a few more reviews on the mi a1. It seems to have mixed camera reviews, one review saying it's brilliant and another saying its terrible.

It could be the negative reviews are by people comparing it flag ship models like iPhone 7, galaxy s8 etc....

The girlfriend got the G5S Plus for €220 on Amazon.it recently and it's a great phone for the money. She loves it.

€220 is ridiculously good value for that. Next to impossible to pick it up now sub €300.
    I'll have to keep an eye out for bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Looking at picking up one of these. Looks to be on Honorbuy shipping from EU for a little less here. Anything I'm missing before I go ahead and buy I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It really looks like a great option tbh. Although I started this thread in May, I never made a jump. I suspect I'll hold onto my Smart Ultra 6 for the next while at least, but it's good to see some great looking options coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

emmetkenny wrote:
    The girlfriend ordered a Moto G5S Plus from Amazon.it last Thursday for €229. Arrived today.

Was that definitely the G5S Plus, can't find it on any Amazon site for that price,it's coming in at nearly €299,was it a special offer for one day only?

Was that definitely the G5S Plus, can't find it on any Amazon site for that price,it's coming in at nearly €299,was it a special offer for one day only?

Yup it was. It was on special offer for about a week.

https://it.camelcamelcamel.com/Lenovo-Moto-Smartphone-Memoria-Interna/product/B0744VXT19?context=search

emmetkenny wrote:
    Yup it was. It was on special offer for about a week.

Yeah,that was a good price for it,will keep a look out to see if it drops again,thanks for the link.

Yeah,that was a good price for it,will keep a look out to see if it drops again,thanks for the link.

Keep an eye on all the european amazon sites. The pre order Price was €229 on amazon.it I think.

Yesterday amazon.it had it for €248, today its back up to €299

Just keep checking them each day.

Amazon.it
    Amazon.de
    Amazon.es
    Amazon.fr

Back down to €249 today on amazon.it

914 wrote: »

I've ordered one at that price this morning. Bizarrely, it's €244.99 if you get it shipped to a UK address...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

I've ordered one at that price this morning. Bizarrely, it's €244.99 if you get it shipped to a UK address...
    Ireland / UK vat difference of 3%?

914 wrote:

Would it be a better buy than the Xiaomi mi A1,usually stick with the Moto,but that phone seems to be getting good reviews too.

• Advertisement

Would it be a better buy than the Xiaomi mi A1,usually stick with the Moto,but that phone seems to be getting good reviews too.

Not much between them, both pretty much stock android, similar specs. Will just come down to personal preference.

The only thing the mi a1 doesn't have is nfc, if thats not an issue for you then its a flip of a coin I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Just got my LG V20 from TobyDeals (seems to be a sister company of EGlobal for just the UK & Ireland market, as both offices right beside each other in HK going by google maps), and got it for £245 delivered.

Lovely phone so far, just gotta figure out how to root it, and didn't get the B&O headphones, just stock LG ones, but oh well. I have enough earphones as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭biebiebie

914 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on all the european amazon sites. The pre order Price was €229 on amazon.it I think.

Yesterday amazon.it had it for €248, today its back up to €299

Just keep checking them each day.

Amazon.it
    Amazon.de
    Amazon.es
    Amazon.fr

No need to keep checking every day... Unless you're OCD.

Just create a price watch on camelcamelcamel
    You can watch each item on each site individually.

It'll then automatically email you when the price hits your target price.

Simples.

ECookie13 wrote:
    Just got my LG V20 from TobyDeals (seems to be a sister company of EGlobal for just the UK & Ireland market, as both offices right beside each other in HK going by google maps), and got it for £245 delivered.

ECookie13 wrote:
    Lovely phone so far, just gotta figure out how to root it, and didn't get the B&O headphones, just stock LG ones, but oh well. I have enough earphones as is.

Nice one, it's a great phone. Think you saved 20euro, and I didn't need headphones either so was a good deal.

Not sure about rooting, don't think there is must android development available and if the bootloader can be unlocked or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ECookie13

tedpan wrote: »
    Nice one, it's a great phone. Think you saved 20euro, and I didn't need headphones either so was a good deal.

Not sure about rooting, don't think there is must android development available and if the bootloader can be unlocked or not?

Yeah, I saved a decent bit as at the time of ordering, it was like €310 delivered with code off Eglobal, so happy with that.

Looks a lovely phone, only issue is the slight light bleed on the secondary display at full brightness but I can live with that.

Yeah the android dev for the dual sim version is quite sparse and I spent most of last night trying to root and researching XDA, but I think i'll give up on it, as it's BY FAR the most convoluted method to root a phone I've ever experienced, and i've rooted and xposed many phones over the years.

It seems quite risky and you have to mess about with custom Kernels right now as rooting breaks laser focus and video playback.

Will only miss root for adaway really, as there's not much bloat on the phone as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

ECookie13 wrote: »

£245 sterling delivered is very good. Did you have a code? The cheapest I can see it on there site now is £257 which I assume doesn't include delivery.

I have been keeping an eye on the v20 as I love the audio side of it. Can I ask if the cameras on it are any good in real life ? The wife wants a decent camera and I want really good audio.

ra0044 wrote:
    I have been keeping an eye on the v20 as I love the audio side of it. Can I ask if the cameras on it are any good in real life ? The wife wants a decent camera and I want really good audio.

Cam is class. The wide angle mode produces fantastic shots.

Not such a big fan of the video recorder though.

Audio is decent too, but you need a really decent set of headphones for the quad DAC to work properly.

It works well my HD650s, but only really increases the volume level on my IE8s. Both Sennheiser.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Using the Moto G5S plus. Zero complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

ECookie13 wrote: »

Have you got a link to that phone, I can't see it for that price

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Using the Moto G5S plus. Zero complaints

I'll have my mitts on mine tomorrow. First new personal phone since May 2013!
    My Nexus 4 will finally be retired.

Advertisement