Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €300 Android device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, I know its for sub 300eu phones thread, but what would you recommend for 500eu and if possible a bit less? Would like to get misses a surprise xmas present.
    She was always iphone user, but time for change. She likes sony, but xperia xz premium is sold out in komplett and it was lowest price at 569eu. Xz1 compact has rubish screen that is not even 1080p. Xz1 does not look like a good deal compared to premium.

So any suggestions? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lads, I know its for sub 300eu phones thread, but what would you recommend for 500eu and if possible a bit less? Would like to get misses a surprise xmas present.
    She was always iphone user, but time for change. She likes sony, but xperia xz premium is sold out in komplett and it was lowest price at 569eu. Xz1 compact has rubish screen that is not even 1080p. Xz1 does not look like a good deal compared to premium.

Amazon have it around the same price as 570

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

fritzelly wrote: »
    Amazon have it around the same price as 570

Cheers. Is it any good though? Any alternatives and possible a bit cheaper?

Water resistance would be major advantage. She droped her iphone in to toilet twice... this year.

Edit: just checked it, amazon does not ship it to Ireland for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Ryath

Cheers. Is it any good though? Any alternatives and possible a bit cheaper?

Water resistance would be major advantage. She droped her iphone in to toilet twice... this year.

mobile-phone-lanyards-1-1.jpg

Always liked sony's and last 2 phones were waterproof xperia's

oneplus 5T is a fantastic phone for €499

ticks all the boxes, screen (quad hd), camera, power...

https://oneplus.net/ie/oneplus-5t

it's not officially waterproof but the 5 (one before T) was and 5T expected to be same.

here's oneplus 5 fine after 5 minutes in water
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRFDA5zGxQI

for the money, no better phone imo.

sample review here
    https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/OnePlus-5T-Review_id4454
    some points on camera but only compared to 750 to 1000 $ phones.
    it's still a very good camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ore8hE2xKv4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

tedpan wrote: »
    Unfortunately it has no Google play, so you'll have to load it on yourself, which is not difficult, but not great either.

It also doesn't have the B20 LTE 4G band so won't pick up 4G in rural areas.

Does the Global version of the Lg v20 have this 4G band?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

room_149 wrote:
    Does the Global version of the Lg v20 have this 4G band?

Yes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote:
    Oneplus 5t screen is not quad HD. It's 1080p ish due to the aspect ratio. Xz premium is 4k and has a brilliant camera. The 960fps slow motion is incredible.

True, the XZ Premium uses the same SD 835 processor so performance is blistering. At 485e SIM free, it's decent for the money..

• Advertisement

room_149 wrote:
    Just on the Eglobal site here- they have 2 versions in stock

room_149 wrote:
    Are both Ok for said 4G band?

They only have one version, one comes with a screen protector, that's all :)

You're good to go!

They only have one version, one comes with a screen protector, that's all :)

You're good to go!

Sound- thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Use code GIVETHANKS for 9euro off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

fritzelly wrote: »
    Link posted earlier is for the G5 not the S version - would make the price about right for that model

Edit
    There was another link posted to the correct model but now 300

Decisions, decisions - want it before Xmas

Down to €239 on amazon.it now moto g5s plus

Use code GIVETHANKS for 9euro off

Thanks for all the info to date everyone- FWIW, I've still to pull the trigger on the V20!!
    Just this morning an Italian co-worker tipped me off about the LG Q8. It's essentially the same specs but smaller (ie not a Faux sized Tablet) but without the removable battery & is waterproof

https://www.amazon.it/LG-Smartphone-secondario-espandibile-Certificato/dp/B0742M9J86

Any opinions on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

room_149 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info to date everyone- FWIW, I've still to pull the trigger on the V20!!
    Just this morning an Italian co-worker tipped me off about the LG Q8. It's essentially the same specs but smaller (ie not a Faux sized Tablet) but without the removable battery & is waterproof

https://www.amazon.it/LG-Smartphone-secondario-espandibile-Certificato/dp/B0742M9J86

Any opinions on it?

5.2 inch same specs a v20, I'd also be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this

room_149 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info to date everyone- FWIW, I've still to pull the trigger on the V20!! Just this morning an Italian co-worker tipped me off about the LG Q8. It's essentially the same specs but smaller (ie not a Faux sized Tablet) but without the removable battery & is waterproof

room_149 wrote:
    Any opinions on it?

914 wrote:
    5.2 inch same specs a v20, I'd also be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this

Nice looking phone, more like a G6 in construction. Personally I'm used to a phablet and would not want to go back to a smaller device.

Q8 pros and cons Vs the V20

Pros
    Smaller display
    Waterproof
    Amazon customer service
    Newer device so will probably get new updates before older models

Cons
    Smaller display
    Lesser camera
    Smaller battery although smaller screen so battery life should be comparable
    Non removable battery
    Costs 100euro more than the V20

Costs 100euro more than the V20

If it hits the €350 mark or thereabouts in the new year I'll definitely make a move
    & ditch the HTC10.
    In saying that I might just wait and see if the HTC U11 drops any further in the coming weeks after the release of the U11+.......................is there a Sub €400 thread on here at all ;) !!!!

room_149 wrote: »
    If it hits the €350 mark or thereabouts in the new year I'll definitely make a move
    & ditch the HTC10.
    In saying that I might just wait and see if the HTC U11 drops any further in the coming weeks after the release of the U11+.......................is there a Sub €400 thread on here at all ;) !!!!

If you like HTC, the U Ultra could be an option for you? It has the 821 processor which is a slight upgrade from the V20/Q8, 295euro.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/#/product/20031

If you like HTC, the U Ultra could be an option for you? It has the 821 processor which is a slight upgrade from the V20/Q8, 295euro.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/#/product/20031

Thanks- I've considered it but just aint a Phablet/Fauxblet fan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nah, I've played with an in-store demo model, tis only a notch bigger than my HTC10 and felt very comfortable in the hand. Haven't checked the dimensions online but it seemed thinner (than the HTC10) and didn't feel any heavier. Should be fine for taking on runs/ the Gym etc.

Ordered the G5S on Monday and still not shipped from the amazon.it site - anyone ever used them for delivery to Ireland? I know Amazon can be a bit slow to actually ship stuff but 5 days is ridiculous.

I'm now at the point where I'm gonna cancel it and my brain is saying well you paid 240 for that what is another 50 for something better...angel/devil on my shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Looking for a phone for my girlfriend for christmas. Something around €250 or below.

Her current alcatel is a big phone, bogger than my s8 so i want it to be a big screen too. Any suggestions guys?

The g5s looks good but too small in size sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

My trusty Moto G3 2GB screen broke this morning. It dropped many times before and only dents on the edge. This time it's shattered although still functional.

I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi A1 as a replacement. Geekbuying (mentioned on previous page) have a good price especially with the discount. From reading up online they're (shop) not the most reliable though.

Any suggestions on where I can get the black Mi A1 at a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Dord wrote: »
    ......From reading up online they're not the most reliable though.

what have you read to suggest that? What issues are being reported?

Reddit and a few other sites. I didn't save the links. People reported receiving fake tracking numbers and then delays and excuses from the customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Reddit and a few other sites. I didn't save the links. People reported receiving fake tracking numbers and then delays and excuses from the customer service.

oh right, sorry, I misread your post, I thought you were referring to reports that the device itself was unreliable! I've 2 orders pending with Geekbuying, will post back it there's any issues.

I ended up ordering from thesolutionshop.group - theyre in the UK and import from HK then forward. Price was good and includes vat. Reviews of the shop seem ok also. Total for the Xiaomi Mi A1 in black with shipping was €231.

• Advertisement

I ended up ordering from thesolutionshop.group - theyre in the UK and import from HK then forward. Price was good and includes vat. Reviews of the shop seem ok also. Total for the Xiaomi Mi A1 in black with shipping was €231.

How long to arrive? Quick Google shows they ship from China and are not fast

Advertisement