Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pigeons hooting?

• 22-05-2017 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not with an 's'.....anyone else notice an increase in these sounds or am I going mad? never used to notice it before but of late it's fking non stop morning noon and night ........was in my brothers house and there it was too 'woo hoo hooo hoo hoooo' ......and it always seems to end with a kind of question mark
    'huh?' :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They sound the same as they always do at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lots of them flying very low on Henry Street in dublin, I need a cat launcher to shoot at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

They sound the same as they always do at this time of year.

I honestly never heard it much before , thought it was owls in the trees till I saw a pigeon on a power line outside my house giving it large.....and another bugger down the road answering it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Pigeons don't hoot. Pigeons coo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Little do people know but pigeons are in fact not real birds. They are government transmitters, like numbers stations. That cooing sound they make is transmitted from pigeon to pigeon like a relay, transmitting coded government messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Little do people know but pigeons are in fact not real birds. They are government transmitters, like numbers stations. That cooing sound they make is transmitted from pigeon to pigeon like a relay, transmitting coded government messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Maybe they're laughing at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

sonofenoch wrote: »
    'woo hoo hooo hoo hoooo' ......and it always seems to end with a kind of question mark

Wood Pigeon. The sound of Summer :)

Collared Dove is the one who sounds like a Manchester supporter, losing the will to live. World weary, " United. United ".

Feral (Rock Dove) 'Town' Pigeon is the one Kayne West can't stand. " Lookadacoon! Lookadacoon! "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

They don't even move/fly out of your way anymore. Getting brave so they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    They don't give a flying ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

That's probably just the Godpigeon. The Godpigeon don't move for no man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There needs to be a cull of pigeons and seagulls in all major cities in the country, something like €10 per bird until the numbers normalise.

That's feral pigeons. The OP described the Wood Pigeon call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

There needs to be a cull of pigeons and seagulls in all major cities in the country, something like €10 per bird until the numbers normalise.
    I don't agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

That's feral pigeons. The OP described the Wood Pigeon call.

this might be a stupid question but are all pigeons feral? (wild?)

Lots of pigeon hoo hoos around here too op, I love the sounds of birds especially at this time of year, morning chorus is amazing. (starts at about 4am)

Coo COO coocoo. Coo.
    Coo COO coocoo. Coo.

hoooo hoooo hoo *deep voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

koumi wrote: »

Koumi; " Feral " refers to that which was once domesticated and has since taken to living 'wild'. To that end, 'Road Hackers'. the street pigeons are Feral. They're the descendants of Rock Doves (Columba livia) and, of course 'Racing Pigeons' that have gone awol.

Then, there's genuine, full blooded, wild as the wind Rock Doves. They're localised and generally coastal. Ye not likely to run into them.

Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus) is the big, rotund thing ye may see in parks and gardens. Big, rolling sort of bird. One whose lovely call the OP was describing so well. Completely wild.

Then there's the Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto). Smaller, cement like coloured bird. The football supporter. They get everywhere. Wild too. Comparatively recent arrival.

Stock and Turtle Dove are wild too. But, really not worth discussing here.

koumi wrote: »

Lots of pigeon hoo hoos around here too op, I love the sounds of birds especially at this time of year, morning chorus is amazing. (starts at about 4am)
    No. Feral pigeons refers to domesticated breeds like domesticated stock dove, or racing pigeons, loose in the wild. Wood Pigeons are a truly wild and separate species altogether.
    The pigeons people complain about in cities are feral pigeons.

• Advertisement

I did not know that. Plenty of wood pigeons up here (the big round ones) and a lot of other feathered friends, I should probably start taking notes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Noisy pigeons outside my apartment are doing my head in every morning. If I could press a button to kill all pigeons instantly I would gladly do it. Horrible things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have a couple of wood pigeons nesting near me. Don't particularly notice the noise but the greedy ****ers will empty the bird feeder in one go. The dog usually scares them off but doesn't bother the smaller birds for some reason. Clever girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There used to be a wood pigeon outside the back of my house, I haven't heard him in a while though, I like their call, it's really laid back.

I didn't think the wood pigeon went into cities, I always thought of them as city pigeons posh cousin and that they'd see city pigeons as scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I love the sound of wood pigeons. It reminds me of late summer evenings playing on the road as a kid, with the slowly setting sun blinding you while you tried to fit in one last game of British Bulldog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

How wonderfully random. I love it OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I like pigeons. Of all kinds. I don't discriminate.

KungPao wrote: »
    I like pigeons. Of all kinds. I don't discriminate.
    Well...Coooeee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

How wonderfully random. I love it OP :)

How's this for random ......listen carefully next time and you'll hear what they're actually saying, it goes 'My leg hurts Betty....my leg hurts Betty' ....I'm not making it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The wood pigeons are really pleasant. Seem laid back.

Came home once and the glass door had an obvious print of a pigeon. Went outside and saw feathers everywhere and a wing. Two very full dogs with feathers in their mouths. The bones appeared from the dogs over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

How's this for random ......listen carefully next time and you'll hear what they're actually saying, it goes 'My leg hurts Betty....my leg hurts Betty' ....I'm not making it up

No, no you 've got that wrong, they are trying to woo a lady pigeon into maybe moving in with them so what they are actually saying is:

'I loooove you, baby.... I loooove you baby"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Not with an 's'.....anyone else notice an increase in these sounds or am I going mad? never used to notice it before but of late it's fking non stop morning noon and night ........was in my brothers house and there it was too 'woo hoo hooo hoo hoooo' ......and it always seems to end with a kind of question mark

It's not birds at all, it's silly wánker VAG drivers that have fitted a thing called a 'pigeon pipe' to their silly little VW/Audi/Seat cars so that makes the sound of a very large pigeon on each gear change. Apparently they think it's 'cool' but in reality it's not and they sound stupid and ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You sure its not some stupid young fella going round in a 01 Passat with a straight through pipe..."some boo off her lad"

It's not birds at all, it's silly wánker VAG drivers that have fitted a thing called a 'pigeon pipe' to their silly little VW/Audi/Seat cars so that makes the sound of a very large pigeon on each gear change. Apparently they think it's 'cool' but in reality it's not and they sound stupid and ridiculous.
    :pac: I feel like an idiot now.:p lol

Advertisement