Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Advice please

Options
  • 22-05-2017 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I have into a house last year, just finished some renovation so want to beef up security. As you can see from the picture below the house is a nightmare to cover. A lot of break in's in area

I have attached image of house, to explain
    A : This section has no window/door security, one PIR covering hallway coming up to main section of house. Two sets of french doors
    B: This is one large room with PIR covering it, 3 sets of French doors lead out to garden
    C: Sun room, has security glass installed. I have installed a large sliding door to create a wall between sun room & house. One PIR is installed in the small room now in house. One set of french doors out to garden
    D: Renovated section of house, all windows/doors are now hard wired to system
    E: Electric gates, just with standard buzzer and phone in house, no video

Some other changes, inside front door I have put another set of sliding doors. All of the locks on door I have changed to security locks. All of the trees are removed around the house and fence/wire will be installed but you will be able to jump this if you want......

The alarm is HKC and alarm guy said it is one of the best, can connect to wifi devices etc.

The previous owner seemed to have camera installed. In the hot press is a load of cables marked with name but I can only see one place with cables coming out(at B).

What would be recommended next? Try and get someone in to set up camera's again?

For the electric gates is there option to put in video camera I can answer on phone? according to Garda, they are ringing the buzzer/door bell. Once nobody answers they get in.

Any other idea's? I have no monitored system at the moment

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What I would be looking for in total for the alarm is to cover all accessible perimeter windows /doors with inertia sensor & contacts that will alert on opening or forced entry. After that PiRs covering the hallways & a duel tec Pir to cover the conservatory.
    Do you mean there is a HKC system there already ?
    Is this an older model? or is it the 1070? (Female voice)
    The newer one you can add wireless devices to .If its the older one (Male voice) you should look at upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I agree with what KoolKid said, you should also have that alarm system professionally monitored.

I would not really regard automatic gates as part of a security system, yes they look the part but in my mind they are called automatic gates for a reason as opposed to security gates. They are convenient but are easy to climb over and easy to bypass.

Cameras could give you great peace of mind but I would not advise fitting a DVR into a hot press, the heat in there would not be ideal for hard drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KoolKid wrote: »
    What I would be looking for in total for the alarm is to cover all accessible perimeter windows /doors with inertia sensor & contacts that will alert on opening or forced entry. After that PiRs covering the hallways & a duel tec Pir to cover the conservatory.
    Do you mean there is a HKC system there already ?
    Is this an older model? or is it the 1070? (Female voice)
    The newer one you can add wireless devices to .If its the older one (Male voice) you should look at upgrading.

I had a guy out to alarm, it is HKC, he replaced the system board on alarm because we couldn't get access to codes. He said it was new and it was top of range. Fully supports wireless devices. Woman voice

The issue is the house is full of windows, quick count is 18 windows and 6 sets of French doors. I have wired 6 sets of these windows.

The sun room I would have to try and just cover off the sliding door giving you access to the house. Too many windows/doors in it to cover

The guy I got out said they went with PIR because of the amount of doors/windows in house. He said he could do wireless points on windows but it would be expensive and a lot of batteries??? I have no idea

kub wrote: »
    I agree with what KoolKid said, you should also have that alarm system professionally monitored.

I would not really regard automatic gates as part of a security system, yes they look the part but in my mind they are called automatic gates for a reason as opposed to security gates. They are convenient but are easy to climb over and easy to bypass.

Cameras could give you great peace of mind but I would not advise fitting a DVR into a hot press, the heat in there would not be ideal for hard drives.

In reference to the gates. What I would like to do is if someone buzzes and I am in work/away I can answer, just to make out someone is in.....is this possible?

From what the Garda are saying, the guys doing our area(which is mostly electric gates at houses) they buzz. See if someone answers, wait around, buzz again, if no answer then into property.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    In reference to the gates. What I would like to do is if someone buzzes and I am in work/away I can answer, just to make out someone is in.....is this possible?

From what the Garda are saying, the guys doing our area(which is mostly electric gates at houses) they buzz. See if someone answers, wait around, buzz again, if no answer then into property.

You can get a GSM type gate intercom system, this can firstly ring your house phone, if that is unanswered then it will automatically divert to your mobile but the caller will have no idea that this diversion has occurred. You will also be able to open the gate should you wish from your mobile.

• Advertisement

I had a guy out to alarm, it is HKC, he replaced the system board on alarm because we couldn't get access to codes. He said it was new and it was top of range. Fully supports wireless devices. Woman voice

The issue is the house is full of windows, quick count is 18 windows and 6 sets of French doors. I have wired 6 sets of these windows.

The sun room I would have to try and just cover off the sliding door giving you access to the house. Too many windows/doors in it to cover

The guy I got out said they went with PIR because of the amount of doors/windows in house. He said he could do wireless points on windows but it would be expensive and a lot of batteries??? I have no idea

Each wireless device requires a battery which will last around 3 years. To be fair that guy should have given you a quote and let you decide what is or not expensive.
    I think doing all the windows and doors will give you peace of mind, but the lack of notification on the intruder system will have to be addressed.

Each wireless device requires a battery which will last around 3 years. To be fair that guy should have given you a quote and let you decide what is or not expensive.
    I think doing all the windows and doors will give you peace of mind, but the lack of notification on the intruder system will have to be addressed.

Next question, do I pay for a monitoring company? or can I set up the HKC to ring/text me if it goes off?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Having too many windows is a poor excuse not to have decent security installed. What I was recommending was the minimum in my professional opinion.
    Anything less and you risk your alarm not activating untill after you have been broken into.
    The system you have is probably a HKC 1070. This could be set up to text or call you in the event of an alarm. This could also be set up with an app & push notifications. Although with the charges for each app and the annual charges for using them you would be on you way to getting professional monitoring.

Next question, do I pay for a monitoring company? or can I set up the HKC to ring/text me if it goes off?

If you are that concerned about the security of your home, in all honesty, professional monitoring is the way to go, speak to your installer about getting it connected to one of the dozens of monitoring stations in this country.

If you get it to text you or ring you, then good luck with trying to get The Gardai to respond to it.

Having too many windows is a poor excuse not to have decent security installed. What I was recommending was the minimum in my professional opinion.
    Anything less and you risk your alarm not activating untill after you have been broken into.
    The system you have is probably a HKC 1070. This could be set up to text or call you in the event of an alarm. This could also be set up with an app & push notifications. Although with the charges for each app and the annual charges for using them you would be on you way to getting professional monitoring.

Sorry if I said incorrectly, I wanted points on each door/window. The guy I had out said I had too many windows/doors and using PIR was the best way. This was already in place so I didn't do anything to the section I was not renovating.

The section I was renovating I have hard wired in all windows etc to have points.

As I can use wireless is there a maximum amount of points you can connect to system? I think he mentioned something about this.....

In my previous house I had it set up so I could turn on alarm and then walk around in house. It would only go on if someone tried to get in. My wife wants the same as I work away a good bit and she hates been in house with kids on her own, with the PIR she cannot walk around or bring in dog

• Advertisement

If you are that concerned about the security of your home, in all honesty, professional monitoring is the way to go, speak to your installer about getting it connected to one of the dozens of monitoring stations in this country.

If you get it to text you or ring you, then good luck with trying to get The Gardai to respond to it.

I would prefer to go monitored if possible.....

My current installer is really not up to the task

Apart from Phonewatch or whatever they are called now(I think they are a joke), what companies are providing a service? I am on outskirts of Dublin

Your installer is giving you very poor advice. He should be advising you on the best options, not stating you have too many windows to protect.
    Shop around would be my recommendation.
    Any licenced company can set up monitoring for you.

I would prefer to go monitored if possible.....

My current installer is really not up to the task

Apart from Phonewatch or whatever they are called now(I think they are a joke), what companies are providing a service? I am on outskirts of Dublin

Phonewatch would not work on your new panel anyway, they would want to put their own system and lock you into a contract and besides their one is not capable of giving you the coverage you require.

It is quite simple to get what you have monitored, the panel you have can handle 70 wireless devices.
    So it is simple to upgrade that system and have what you had in your last house.

Your installer is giving you very poor advice. He should be advising you on the best options, not stating you have too many windows to protect.
    Shop around would be my recommendation.
    Any licenced company can set up monitoring for you.

Any recommendations? I have no idea where to start?

Thanks

Shop around in your local area Search the psa register for licenced installers.

Shop around in your local area Search the psa register for licenced installers.

Thanks, I guess the main stream(e.g. Wilson and Phonelink) would be too big for standard user?

I found them via a quick google

None of them, or any other company, are too big for the standard user.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Ok, so I have into a house last year, just finished some renovation so want to beef up security. As you can see from the picture below the house is a nightmare to cover. A lot of break in's in area

I have attached image of house, to explain
    A : This section has no window/door security, one PIR covering hallway coming up to main section of house. Two sets of french doors
    B: This is one large room with PIR covering it, 3 sets of French doors lead out to garden
    C: Sun room, has security glass installed. I have installed a large sliding door to create a wall between sun room & house. One PIR is installed in the small room now in house. One set of french doors out to garden
    D: Renovated section of house, all windows/doors are now hard wired to system
    E: Electric gates, just with standard buzzer and phone in house, no video

Some other changes, inside front door I have put another set of sliding doors. All of the locks on door I have changed to security locks. All of the trees are removed around the house and fence/wire will be installed but you will be able to jump this if you want......

The alarm is HKC and alarm guy said it is one of the best, can connect to wifi devices etc.

The previous owner seemed to have camera installed. In the hot press is a load of cables marked with name but I can only see one place with cables coming out(at B).

What would be recommended next? Try and get someone in to set up camera's again?

For the electric gates is there option to put in video camera I can answer on phone? according to Garda, they are ringing the buzzer/door bell. Once nobody answers they get in.

Any other idea's? I have no monitored system at the moment

Ive seen a few like yourself who has so much open space outside using perimeter beams connected to your alarm system.
    Not cheap but are used as a first line of defense in conjunction with windows and doors.

Thanks for advice. I am concerned about sheds at back of house, what would recommendation be to bring the alarm up to the shed? I guess the wireless would not cover he distance. To the shed I want to cover which is furthest one it is circa 35m from board. Board is in middle of house so would have a number of block walls in way.

Running a wire is probably a bit mad as someone could just snip the wire?

35m is not far.
    If need be a range extender at that end of the house should cover it OK.

• Advertisement

Thanks for advice. I am concerned about sheds at back of house, what would recommendation be to bring the alarm up to the shed? I guess the wireless would not cover he distance. To the shed I want to cover which is furthest one it is circa 35m from board. Board is in middle of house so would have a number of block walls in way.

Running a wire is probably a bit mad as someone could just snip the wire?

In clear line of sight 35 meters would not be an issue but only way of knowing would be to use a range tested since you have a few block walls to contend with. If thats ok then you would be looking at a RF dual tech for the shed.
    Less prone to false alarm in that type of area.

I will bring this back up.....

I want to change electric gates to GSM station. Asked my supplier. First of for a new buzzer they want 40 euro for the buzzer and then 150 to program it which seems expensive. I got two new buzzer last year off them with a service for just 200 quid so seems high

I asked to change to GSM and got the following prices

Cost to supply and install is € 780.00 + Vat
    Or with keypad € 925.00 + Vat
    GSM-3ABK (Standard Architectural model with Keypad)
    GSM-4ABK (PLUS Architectural model with Keypad)

This seems high? would this be correct?

I will bring this back up.....

I want to change electric gates to GSM station. Asked my supplier. First of for a new buzzer they want 40 euro for the buzzer and then 150 to program it which seems expensive. I got two new buzzer last year off them with a service for just 200 quid so seems high

I asked to change to GSM and got the following prices

Cost to supply and install is € 780.00 + Vat
    Or with keypad € 925.00 + Vat
    GSM-3ABK (Standard Architectural model with Keypad)
    GSM-4ABK (PLUS Architectural model with Keypad)

This seems high? would this be correct?

A quick google search brings up high enough prices for the unit so the price seems fair considering installation.

altor wrote: »
    A quick google search brings up high enough prices for the unit so the price seems fair considering installation.

Thanks, I should have been clearer, is there an option for cheaper unit to do same job?

Thanks

Thanks, I should have been clearer, is there an option for cheaper unit to do same job?

Thanks

Have you had anyone else look at it for you?

Have you had anyone else look at it for you?

I had another guy today come out. He hasn't priced anything but is going to send on quote

I had another guy today come out. He hasn't priced anything but is going to send on quote

Shopping around is your best option, at lease you will end up with a few options to choose from also.

Shopping around is your best option, at lease you will end up with a few options to choose from also.

Thanks, I know shopping around is but was looking for recommendations is possible? Dont want to waste 3-4 peoples time coming out to price

Advertisement