Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been jumped or mugged while walking in South Dublin?

• 22-05-2017 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Once in a while, I hear awful stories of some lads I know getting assaulted. Knowing that I'm a minority makes me feel luckier. A guy I know in my school got robbed in Stillorgan during daytime. Another group of Spanish lads got jumped in Cabinteely.

This was surprising, as I always thought that South Dublin areas were reasonably safe provided you weren't too small, female, walking late at night, and or draw attention by your race or clothing.

Is it just a chance encounter or are there some 'unsafe' areas even in places like Deansgrange or Blackrock? Also heard for some reason that Dun Laoghaire is not 'unsafe' but 'not safe' if you get what I mean. Lots of neighbours of mine have relatives who get burgled 'regularly'.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

It can happen on every Street in Ìreland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I thought it just happened on the North side.

I am of course joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Once in a while, I hear awful stories of some lads I know getting assaulted. Knowing that I'm a minority makes me feel luckier. A guy I know in my school got robbed in Stillorgan during daytime. Another group of Spanish lads got jumped in Cabinteely.

This was surprising, as I always thought that South Dublin areas were reasonably safe provided you weren't too small, female, walking late at night, and or draw attention by your race or clothing.

Is it just a chance encounter or are there some 'unsafe' areas even in places like Deansgrange or Blackrock? Also heard for some reason that Dun Laoghaire is not 'unsafe' but 'not safe' if you get what I mean. Lots of neighbours of mine have relatives who get burgled 'regularly'.

What an odd post is south Dublin some sort of fabled place of safety and untold wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yes in Knockylon and in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What a ridiculous notion. Muggings, robberies, or attacks can happen in any street of any town in the country; indeed in any country.

Do you sit thinking up this kind of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No, never. Always felt safe in Stillorgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is it cos I is black?

How does someone 'draw attention to themselves by race' some-sort of native dance?

Good to heat SCD is perfectly save as long as you're white, male and dress correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

What a ridiculous notion. Muggings, robberies, or attacks can happen in any street of any town in the country; indeed in any country.

Even Dalkey? :eek: Surely you jest.

mariaalice wrote: »
    What an odd post is south Dublin some sort of fabled place of safety and untold wealth.

'The legendary 46A'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

'The legendary 46A'...

A drunk on that bus told me how to get rich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Wow! Generalizing at its finest OP.

Places are the same world over. You have the good and the bad areas...regardless of the silly north/south side divide

Use your common sense and have your wits about you.

Good and bad people everywhere.

PS I am a Northsider. Ya better watch out, I might mug you. FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Collie D wrote: »

I was glad we weren't going too far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Collie D wrote: »

Did you?

I work in D4 and I have to say the pressure is kept on 24/7. You go for a stroll along the canal to unwind and women are constantly asking if 'I'm looking for business'. Worse than my boss frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes, was mugged in Blackrock. Not too far from the Garda station actually. A group of guys came up to me and said "give me your phone". I handed it to them without hesitation, wasnt interested in any trouble. Asked for my Sim Card back and they gave it to me.

I was only 18 at the time and didnt report it. I probably should have as the Garda probably would have gotten it back in a few minutes.

I haven't been assaulted in my adult life. A few incidents in my teenage years, one quite badly by the same person that bet up that Autistic man in Bray. Again, I should have reported it to the Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Once, after a match.

I got charged 6.50 for a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mugged once in south Dublin and held up in work on one occasion, also south Dublin. Shock horror the second person was actually from south Dublin himself!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Thankfully not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

eviltwin wrote: »
    Mugged once in south Dublin and held up in work on one occasion, also south Dublin. Shock horror the second person was actually from south Dublin himself!

Never been mugged and been in some awful states all over the city. Lucky I guess.

Poster is correct re South Dublin, feels much safer than the North. Lived in both places, no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Beyondgone wrote: »

Even Dalkey? :eek: Surely you jest.

Worse thing that happened to me in Dalkey was being challenged to a duel. Suffice it to say, I had the last laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

eviltwin wrote: »

What did the work hold up involve?

Threatened with a particularly sharp piece of quiche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A guy came into the office and held it to a staff members throat, demanded cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Threatened with a particularly sharp piece of quiche.

Lorraine?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Had my bag snatched outside a cafe on the south city centre.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was getting off the bus in Templeogue a few years ago. I took my last beer outta my pocket and from nowhere a scummer was trying to start me for it. We had a bit of a scuffle but I got to keep my can and he disappeared as quick as he arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

mariaalice wrote: »
    It can happen on every Street in Ìreland

What a trite response, guys. No one thinks it's fundamentally impossible to happen on some streets.

The North-South dichotomy is obviously false, but in places like Dalkey, Sandycove, Malahide, etc, being jumped or mugged is actually an irregular occurrence!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I'm a small woman who has walked late at night in south dublin. I've never been as much as looked at crossways there, or in any other city or town I've been in anywhere in the world.

Does that mean nothing ever happens to anyone in any town or city? Nope.

(actually, just remembered one place I was....waterford city. Had to get the bouncers in the bar to get us a taxi because we were being started on for absolutely no reason, myself and another girl. I don't brand waterford for it though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yes, was mugged in Blackrock. Not too far from the Garda station actually. A group of guys came up to me and said "give me your phone". I handed it to them without hesitation, wasnt interested in any trouble. Asked for my Sim Card back and they gave it to me.

I was only 18 at the time and didnt report it. I probably should have as the Garda probably would have gotten it back in a few minutes.

I haven't been assaulted in my adult life. A few incidents in my teenage years, one quite badly by the same person that bet up that Autistic man in Bray. Again, I should have reported it to the Garda.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was on the Luas once, my only time in fact and some young lad about 7 stone wet walked up to me and said " here give us your phone or i'll break your face" I replied " eh how about no" ,
    He literally shock his head in disgust and moved to the guy beside me who was about 14 and he gave him the phone so I had to use the scumbags originally line on him , he handed it back and got off the Luas total chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Even before I clicked on this thread, I could have guessed who had started it.

(well, I knew it was going to be either one of two particular posters).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Got my phone snatched out of my hand on Westmoreland street by some scrote running full pelt. Chased after him in a suit whilst shouting obscenities at him and what I was going to do to him once i caught him and obviously put the fear of God into him and got it back :-)

I was one of many targeted that day according to the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I was walking home through Ballybough one day after work (about 8pm) when it was still broad daylight. A guy put up his hood and crossed the road. It was a particularly wide footpath and he was drifting over to my side as he was walking over to me. It struck me as odd. I went over more and he continued to go over more too. As I passed him he took a swing for me, but since I was expecting something I ducked and he just brushed the top of my head. I looked back and he just kept walking. If I hadn't ducked I'd have had a full force punch to the face.

I'd be interested to see a poll on this on what percentage have and haven't and what percentage are men and women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I've never been jumped or mugged anywhere in Dublin, and I've (don't tell my mother!!) often walked home from workmans after a night out to d7. I always make sure to put a face like a slapped arse on me though :pac:

There used to be a phone snatch a day minimum up at Stephen's green on 02 alone. We must have come across as right heartless bastards but it was so regular you just got so blase about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I used to work in the ifsc where I worked with some girls that spoke with a heavy inner city Dublin accent who used to take orders for phones people wanted

I'm a small woman who has walked late at night in south dublin. I've never been as much as looked at crossways there, or in any other city or town I've been in anywhere in the world.

Does that mean nothing ever happens to anyone in any town or city? Nope.

(actually, just remembered one place I was....waterford city. Had to get the bouncers in the bar to get us a taxi because we were being started on for absolutely no reason, myself and another girl. I don't brand waterford for it though!).

Stared at or 'started on'. If the latter, what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Never in South Dublin. Once in Smithfield after a night out. The guy told me to give him my wallet. Told him to **** off as he was on his own and I was drunk. Opened my eyes and I was lying on the ground, one guy with a knife to my throat and another going through my pockets. Worst part about it is that I wouldn't even recognise them if I saw them.

• Advertisement

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Never in South Dublin. Once in Smithfield after a night out. The guy told me to give him my wallet. Told him to **** off as he was on his own and I was drunk. Opened my eyes and I was lying on the ground, one guy with a knife to my throat and another going through my pockets. Worst part about it is that I wouldn't even recognise them if I saw them.

how tall were they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

Same here. Small female. Nothing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Nope. I've also never been jumped or mugged in North Dublin. Or anywhere else for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I heard of a fella got mugged in LA south central. Maybe that is what you heard op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

riemann wrote: »
    Never been mugged and been in some awful states all over the city. Lucky I guess.

Poster is correct re South Dublin, feels much safer than the North. Lived in both places, no comparison.
    I had the opposite experience, has a trespasser in my D9 garden one night, had "pot purchasers"(many many fights between them) lining up outside our house for next door in D6.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

Standing waiting for someone at the main entrance to stephens green shopping center, middle of the day, plenty of others waiting too as usual at that spot.

Id say I was about 12, maybe 13. Approached by two older "boys", probably 16 or 17....which of course is a big difference at that age!

I knew what the game was as soon as they came up to me. Start asking questions like "where are you from?" etc.

Being too naïve to do anything more sensible, they manage to push up right against me, pushing me outwards into plain view of everyone, directly in front of the main entrance. One starts sticking his hands in my pockets, demanding that I hand over money. I was lucky enough that day to have a fiver or a tenner. I wouldn't let go, being told "I have a knife, I'll stab you!"

Still wouldn't let go, eventually hit one of the knackers in the face, still a nice reminder on my knuckle where I hit the c--t. They managed to wrestle the money off me, and made off. I suppose either they didn't want to be seen hitting me, or just wanted to make a quick escape.

Left there, standing in front of everyone, feeling distraught, not knowing what to do.

And do you think anyone standing there said anything? Do you think anyone tried to intervene, stop it from happening in the first place? It probably lasted a minute or so, a LONG time for a drama like that to play out.

That was one of my first lessons that irish people, and no doubt some tourists too, are, generally, a spineless bunch of sh88tes. All I got from them were a few awkward looks. a 12/13 year old getting mugged, right in front of them. What a let-down. And I suppose for the sake of completion, no, I wasn't a rough looking kid in the slightest (does that make any difference?)

I'd love to meet them two again, and actually recognise them. Oh boy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Nowhere is safe in Dublin, junkies get free travel. Just you wait until the red and green Luas lines are joined up, brass monkeys shuffling around in Cherrywood and leopardstown.
    On a positive note it might serve as a natural regulator for property prices.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I have lived and worked in and around the south side (Blackrock, Monkstown, DL and Dalkey) for the last 8 years and the only physical interaction / intimidation I've encountered was outside Killiney Dart Station (freeborn men of the travelling people)

Nowhere in Ireland is ever too far from a "rough" area but overall they are all fairly safe areas in comparison to other places I have lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

I have lived and worked in and around the south side (Blackrock, Monkstown, DL and Dalkey) for the last 8 years and the only physical interaction / intimidation I've encountered was outside Killiney Dart Station (freeborn men of the travelling people)

Nowhere in Ireland is ever too far from a "rough" area but overall they are all fairly safe areas in comparison to other places I have lived.

Well the other simple part is that knackers and scumbags aren't glued to one place, they too have the ability to travel anywhere. Those two that mugged me, they could have been from anywhere, or travelling anywhere. If anything, they are MORE likely to go elsewhere, to where they aren't known, and don't have to worry about being recognised later.

There was another time I had an attempted mugging, but it was on the northside of the city (Dublin city is great!). But I'm sure, having read again my last post in this thread, people would assume I'm talking tales from my arse. The two situations were so unlikely seeming, I wouldn't blame anyone for doubting it. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

pangbang wrote: »

Well the other simple part is that knackers and scumbags aren't glued to one place, they too have the ability to travel anywhere. Those two that mugged me, they could have been from anywhere, or travelling anywhere. If anything, they are MORE likely to go elsewhere, to where they aren't known, and don't have to worry about being recognised later.

There was another time I had an attempted mugging, but it was on the northside of the city (Dublin city is great!). But I'm sure, having read again my last post in this thread, people would assume I'm talking tales from my arse. The two situations were so unlikely seeming, I wouldn't blame anyone for doubting it. Oh well!

Absolutely I agree. Some of the dirtbags I see jumping onto buses/dart with free passes is scary. Not that the driver can do much about it anyway but the whole system is crazy.

I was just pointing out that people from the country (like me) often have a warped view of parts of South Dublin. You can buy a house for 10 million quid on Vico Road and still have some rough neighbours not too far down the road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement