Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on a car that Revenue don't recognise

Options
  • 22-05-2017 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a road-legal, correctly register kit car on Ebay, going for about £8k.

Now, when I went to get a VRT quote from either ros.ie or from Motorcheck by type or by the UK reg (V933 NRH), it draws a blank, giving no notion of how much they'd be likely to want to let me put Irish plates on it.
    I could calculate the rough value from the CO2 of the donor engine x market value, but there's no way to establish what they think it's worth until you present it, at which point they have you over a barrel.

Obviously Kit cars are a bit niche here, but someone's got to know someone who brought in a slightly odd car they don't have in their database.

Is it a case of if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You will have to contact revenue for a value really.

The Co2 of the donor engine is irrelevant now, if it has been through the UK IVA scheme there will be no Co2 figure recorded on the V5, also even though it has an age related 99 V reg it will have 2014 on the V5 so on importation will be valued as a 2014 vehicle with VRT at the top band of 36% of OMSP, it'll get a 142 plate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a revenue document stating a procedure for staff to value rare or seldom imported cars. I've quickly scanned over it previously but cannot put my finger on it now.
    Will be worthwhile following this through as building such a car here and getting it registered is next to impossible.
    Would be super rare and possibly quite valuable to have a proper road legal one.
    All being fair and reasonable if you let the average UK price converted to euros equal 64 percent, then omsp is 100 percent with vrt equal to 36 percent.
    Of course they are just as likely to multiply their shoe size by the engine cc divided by the number of wheels on the car.
    I'd say 4k to 5k vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭GSBellew

mickdw wrote: »
    building such a car here and getting it registered is next to impossible.

It's not really though, build it, apply to NSAI for an IVA, attend an approved test centre for required tests, get an IVA cert, make a VRT booking. Downside is a kit car built here is considered a new means of transport, so is subject to VAT and VRT, upside is a current reg.

Have you done it?
    I don't know anyone who has. I know of one person who considered it and dropped it as it seemed beyond onerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Are kit cars and one offs registered on a Q plate in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Hmm, I'll give them a call today so, emails to them in the past haven't proved too useful.
    GSBellew wrote: »
    You will have to contact revenue for a value really.

The Co2 of the donor engine is irrelevant now, if it has been through the UK IVA scheme there will be no Co2 figure recorded on the V5, also even though it has an age related 99 V reg it will have 2014 on the V5 so on importation will be valued as a 2014 vehicle with VRT at the top band of 36% of OMSP, it'll get a 142 plate though.

Id love to get a hold of that doc if you had it.

Of course they are just as likely to multiply their shoe size by the engine cc divided by the number of wheels on the car.

Hahha pmsl.

That said, €4-5k on VRT on a €10k car... its such a p1sstake
    There is a revenue document stating a procedure for staff to value rare or seldom imported cars. I've quickly scanned over it previously but cannot put my finger on it now.
    Will be worthwhile following this through as building such a car here and getting it registered is next to impossible.
    Would be super rare and possibly quite valuable to have a proper road legal one.
    All being fair and reasonable if you let the average UK price converted to euros equal 64 percent, then omsp is 100 percent with vrt equal to 36 percent.
    I'd say 4k to 5k vrt.

Just found it there. Search Google for vrt section 8. 24 page document with small section re cars where there are no direct comparisons for sale within the state.

Just found it there. Search Google for vrt section 8. 24 page document with small section re cars where there are no direct comparisons for sale within the state.

Thanks!
    This is it for future ref: http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Don't forget that motor tax will also be at the top rate of €2350, if they have no EU COC for the vehicle, it defaults to the highest amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And I presume you have a reasonable insurance quote in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Don't forget that motor tax will also be at the top rate of €2350, if they have no EU COC for the vehicle, it defaults to the highest amount

I'm having issues with this at the moment with an Aus import. No CO2 figure on the rego papers so the guy in VRT office registered it as 999 for emissions without saying anything about it. Have been trying to get it changed for the past 2 weeks and it just keeps getting passed over and back between Applus head office and VRT centre with both saying the other will call me. Anyone had an issue like this?

Unlikely, Motortax have a bit on their site, I'll dig it out when I get home, on calculating the CO2 from the donor engine, which would be no worse than 212g/km (the most polluting Blacktop they made, the ST170).

There's a much more hopeful sum on their site that factors in weight, cylinder count and capacity, which gives a Rocket like this something of the order of 178gkm, which would be about the same as an old 2.0l

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Fair fox for even trying to get one of those rare unusual cars, hope it works out for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I'm looking at a road-legal, correctly register kit car on Ebay, going for about £8k.

Now, when I went to get a VRT quote from either ros.ie or from Motorcheck by type or by the UK reg (V933 NRH), it draws a blank, giving no notion of how much they'd be likely to want to let me put Irish plates on it.
    I could calculate the rough value from the CO2 of the donor engine x market value, but there's no way to establish what they think it's worth until you present it, at which point they have you over a barrel.

Obviously Kit cars are a bit niche here, but someone's got to know someone who brought in a slightly odd car they don't have in their database.

Is it a case of if you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it?

Probably not a lot of help... I have a car that wasn't on their database, bought it from a friend , he put it through and its 'make Unknown, model unknown 'on the reg cert :)
    I don't recall him saying if he had any major issues with the process, probably because getting it through the NCT gave him lots more grief to complain about..

GSBellew wrote: »
    It's not really though, build it, apply to NSAI for an IVA, attend an approved test centre for required tests, get an IVA cert, make a VRT booking. Downside is a kit car built here is considered a new means of transport, so is subject to VAT and VRT, upside is a current reg.

NSAI now seem to have their own version of the UK IVA, it's lighter at 157pp rather than 299.

https://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services-(1)/Certification/1--Automotive-files/ROI-IVA-Vehicle-Inspection-Procedure-Rev1.aspx

What it doesn't do that the UK one does is tell you what the acceptable values are! The noise test describes the procedure, but not the thresholds, making it not-terrible-useful. I've emailed the NSAI to see if there's a cheat-sheet with the values on that they've omitted.

Aaand it still won't force Revenue to be in any way reasonable about how they treat the car when it's done.
    If a car has been registered in 2014 in the UK, it would have had to have used a new engine, gearbox (recon would do) and steering rack, if they were donor parts, it'd have an age-related plate (2004 for the last-model blacktop Zetec Focii).
    For us that'd have to be the sweet-spot, because no matter what OMSP they came up with, or insane Co2 value (should be from donor as that's what UK V5C would have), the 15 years of depreciation ought to reduce value by 70-90%.
    So I'd be really interested to know if anyone had imported an unknown car, particularly if it's plate was older, how much VRT you had to pay, and did they just magic the figure?

Advertisement