Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel/cafe - comfortable - tea & scones

Options
  • 22-05-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

As the title suggests. Looking for a cafe or hotel lobby type area where I can sit in comfort and have tea and scone, relax with a newspaper or do some work on the laptop. Would be there from 9 -10am. Any good suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Faze11 wrote:
    As the title suggests. Looking for a cafe or hotel lobby type area where I can sit in comfort and have tea and scone, relax with a newspaper or do some work on the laptop. Would be there from 9 -10am. Any good suggestions.

In the city? I would suggest the Clayton, the meryick (old great southern) the ardilaun or also the house hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

JillyQ wrote: »
    In the city? I would suggest the Clayton, the meryick (old great southern) the ardilaun or also the house hotel

Yes. In the city. Thanks for suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Meyrick

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

House hotel is the first place that came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or the Radisson.

Any of the Mocha beans should be fine at that time, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Faze11 wrote: »

The Ardilaun is perfect for this. Large but very cosy and relaxed hotel. It is a little bit out of town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    The Ardilaun is perfect for this. Large but very cosy and relaxed hotel. It is a little bit out of town though.

The food (inc. even scones) would be well below the standard of any of the others mentioned on this thread though...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

sadly no place akin to the merrion or shelbourne in galway city, best places for tea and scones in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Or having breakfast at Tiffany's, NYC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The food (inc. even scones) would be well below the standard of any of the others mentioned on this thread though...

I've eaten in the Ardilaun several times and I was impressed. Not in the last year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If it's good enough for our politicians to use to make shady backroom deals it's good enough for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The D?il Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If it's good enough for our politicians to use to make shady backroom deals it's good enough for you.

Yeah, Brian Cowen stayed there once I believe . He seemed to have had a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

The Meyrick is perfect for your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    ?Cee?view wrote: »

Have you been there recently?

Had tea and scones in the Ardilaun a few times in the last few months and the standard was good. They also do afternoon tea , for those into that.

The Ardilaun recently took on Michelin Star Chef Ultan Cooke (formerly of Aniar) as their head chef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

J o e wrote: »

The Ardilaun recently took on Michelin Star Chef Ultan Cooke (formerly of Aniar) as their head chef.

Thanks. This is great news. I live close to it and wouldn't even consider eating there if I can avoid it, as their food in my experience has been one step up from school dinners. It's the sort of place where you eat if you have to go to a wedding or conference. I could never understand how they could throw away the opportunity of being the only option in the area, short of going in to town. Having said that, I ate at a small dinner last year (approx 30 people) and it was surprisingly not too bad, but that's the problem I suppose; it's a surprise when it's not bad!

If they've finally improved things it will go very well for them. I don't know of Ultan Cooke, but if he can change things, he and they will hopefully do well. If I can persuade my wife to brave it we may even try it out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

House Hotel is the first that springs to mind, lovely lobby area with a good few couches and tables and would be quiet enough in the mornings (maybe not so much Sunday morning - full of hungover hens).

Advertisement