Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Shotgun

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That run was actually yesterday
    Today Wednesday 10 October

Plan: Row
    Actual: Row 10,000m R20 with 4x1k intervals

Heart rate of 160/181 indicate this was tough. Basically a km easy and a km hard holding rate 20 times 5. Very late by the time I got on the erg. First night for Evan in a bed vs cot so took a while for himself and his big sister to get over the novelty and fall asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Great to see your back running! But from an objective point of view, this is what you said in your last log:

'Row 10,000m R20 with 4x1k intervals' (I don't know anything about rowing but that sounds long and tough!)

'Heart rate of 160/181 indicate this was tough'

'Very late by the time I got on the erg'

Do you think the sleep/recovery might have been a better option than the row session the day after your first run back in a while? Or even a shorter, less intense session?

joey100 wrote: »
    Great to see your back running! But from an objective point of view, this is what you said in your last log:

'Row 10,000m R20 with 4x1k intervals' (I don't know anything about rowing but that sounds long and tough!)

'Heart rate of 160/181 indicate this was tough'

'Very late by the time I got on the erg'

Do you think the sleep/recovery might have been a better option than the row session the day after your first run back in a while? Or even a shorter, less intense session?
    Hey Joey, thanks for popping in :)
    So to translate
    10k row at a rate of 20 is usually a short base aerobic session. 20 spm is slow and controlled, takes technical focus to hold it there. I did the 10k at base only a few days ago. I didn't want to run 2 days straight too soon.

The intervals were not all out. I started at a steady effort and built it every 200m for the 1km while holding 20spm. You keep the same control but drive the legs and pull harder. By the 5th 200m you are pulling hard but its still controlled. (like running a 1km interval starting at steady aerobic and building to 10k tempo gradually)

For reference. At a steady effort I would row about 15km or paddle 8-9km

Ideally I would rather not train at 10-11pm but sometimes with small kids its a necessity.

Thursday 11 October

Plan: Easy Run
    Actual: Easy 6.33 miles at 8:34

Its supposed to get wet and windy on the West coast so I figured I'd shoe this in between meetings. Despite looking grey and ominous out my window, it turned out to be fresh, bright, mild and breezy. No metrics only heart rate on the watch. Yes back to capped aerobic stuff again for a while to put some control on the enthusiasm! Hopefully I can get some consistency going, get fit and not have to do it all the way up to the programme.

HR of 143/154 indicates it was easy, but could be easier. I had to practically walk up hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Good to see this and back running.

Torn glute, from the physio exercises for the hamstring? Ouch!

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Good to see this and back running.

Torn glute, from the physio exercises for the hamstring? Ouch!

Thank you and yes. Was too soon to put the weaker left glute under more pressure. Especially for a type A!

3.5 hours last week. Not much of a summary but its something!

Did an early 4 mile run on grass at about 8:30 pace yesterday then ran up and down an excited rugby touchline with a flag for an hour. Cracking day. 14 degrees and blue skies, in mid-October. Such a contrast from the washout and cabin fever Saturday.

The 3.5 hours all in was
    3x runs and 15 miles.. woop!
    1x row and 10,000m
    1x Yoga

So again, tiny week , barely the minimum weekly exercise a human being needs but no sign of a hammer or glute giving out! I weighed in at 83.1 kg this morning so thats about a half stone gained over the course of the injuries. Not enough to damped the mood though. Its a beautiful blue sky again today and I have my running shoes in my bag...

Monday 15 October

Plan: Capped Easy Run 5-6m
    Actual: 5.71 miles @8:12

What a gorgeous day out there! Blue sky, a hint of warmth from a low sun and a chilly slight breeze. Kind of warm and cool at the same time. Perfect for a run. I ran straight towards and through town and out the other side along the bank to the first pier. Its a landmark km from a rowing club under the last bridge out. I used to row on this stretch in another lifetime and after a long spin out towards the estuary and back this pier was a welcome marker to see against a going tide. I stopped just to look back down river towards town and cherish those memories, the pain of some of those session long forgotten. The run back uptown has hills so I had to sloooow down to keep the effort in check. Happy to get the bright daylight vitamin D. Sure beats doing it at 9pm in the dark later.

Tuesday October 16

Plan: Capped Easy Run 5-6m
    Actual: 6.25 miles @8:25

Same run but a little alternative to the route out. "Fresher" conditions today. It was raining leaves in a blustery swirling wind. If one didn't stick to my face it smacked me in the face. I was not alone. Other runners were wincing into the wind along the bank and stepping gingerly over a carpet of wet leaves. I struggled to keep the heart rate under cap. The cardiac drift was significant with the last mile over a minute slower than the first. Its all good though, that is to be expected for a while.

Monday 22 October

Capped Easy run, 6.57 miles @8:25
    55 minutes but it felt longer as I got progressively slower. Capped runs and cardiac drift are the battleground for a while until I can run comfortably "easy" and not feel like I'm dragging my reluctant feet behind me. It is a cracking Autumn day and I took in a couple of miles on the river bank towards UL which is always a pleasure.

I decided last Friday to do a bout of burpees, press ups, sit ups and chin ups after a 10k easy row. It felt good but boy were the DOMs vicious. My upper body still feels like I spent the weekend playing rugby with mammoths.

Overall I'm not going on a week to week plan. The objective is simple. Be fit enough and fresh enough to start a Marathon program after Christmas. For that I need to be at 50 miles a week for a couple of weeks with a long run of at least 90 mins. So, build to that ove rteh next 6 weeks. Since the program will use pace I need to be able to hold PMP for a couple of miles very early. While sub3 is the mission I'll do a few test runs at marathon effort before I start the program just to see what pace that yields. Need to be realistic about it too.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 23 October

Capped Easy Run 6.45 miles @8:28
    Last week trips up and down the motorway to the big shmoke got the better of the new start. Similar week in store this week so a different tactic. Get out of bed! To do that I need to get to bed earlier, eat earlier, be more organised getting the kids bathed and to bed, collecting them earlier, finishing work earlier.. dominoes!

1 small change in a busy life means other things move or you are kidding yourself. At least that what I tell myself.

So, out the door at 0540 for this one. Pitch dark, cloudy so no stars. Stayed under the urban lights. The first mile was almost 10 minutes. My body was still asleep, legs quite reluctant to participate. The next 2 miles were into a cold wind. The following 2 with that wind at my back should have been a surf but I was wrecked from running into it. A couple of other runners out after 6 and we mostly all acknowledged each other. All except for a guy with an M Dot on his calf who zoomed passed me. He seemed to be moving fast so I match his pace once he was a bit ahead to see. 7:20 pace. I wouldn't have called that fast before but thats where I am now. Running slowly, as I should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Think that might have been me that passed you by the regional (Maybe).  Tapering this week for Dublin on Sunday.  Was a tempo run this morning so was 5 min warm up + 4 x 3 mins @ 4:15/KM with 2 mins recovery in between and a 9 min cool down this morning, nothing too fast with Dublin around the corner.  Running in the same direction so didn't get a chance to acknowledge you.  Apologies.

Hey Wackoy2k - seems it was you! In fairness pre dawn warriors, doing reps, visualizing a sub 3, running around a bulky guy plodding down the middle of the path, I'd be guilty of same! Easy when you make eye contact running in opposite directions.

Thanks for stopping by, your form looked good and best of luck for Sunday! Is it a proper Marathon program effort or a post Tri season blow out?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Following a  program alright but a bit limited on time.  Ran Limerick in May and lack to toilets in the last 4-5 KM meant I missed out on Boston so had to prolong the season for Dublin.  Was meant to be finished after a 70.3 back in July so an extra big Christmas present for the Mrs's for putting up with the extra few months.

Wednesday October 24

Silly O Clock Capped Easy 10k Row
    10,000m in 42:07 keeping rate at 20 and hr under 150. I have a little challenge with sconhome on this. Exact same result as last time I did it last week. Differences this time:
    1) I started at 0440 before travelling to Dublin
    2) 2 big dying helium birthday balloon basically floated down and attacked me. Got caught in the flywheel, all resistance dropped so I had to get off and pin down with cushions. It would otherwise have been a few seconds quicker despite stupid o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

This is getting serious now .... nothing like a bit of inter-team rivalry to get the motivation going! Also good entertainment for me :D

For what it's worth, I think you would benefit from having a run plan. It's a fair jump from where you are now to 50 miles a week in January. At least if you had a plan done out you could structure the increased mileage and maybe lessen the chances of over training and getting injured. #teammom #youknowitmakessense

LOL Kate are you seeing the tweets? Only 40 secs or so between us and Sean has gone and taken on the trial Zerg monthly plan!

You are right about a plan. But you know me I'm never without a plan. I just mean that I don't have a precise structure. I set my weekly objectives in the hand written diary version each week.

Wednesday October 24 Session 2

Steady Run 5.34 miles @7:26
    If I don't get out of the Capital and onto the Motorway by 4 its a nightmare on the M50 and roadworks from J8-11. So, I usually work on and leave later. I was fairly tired though and knew a coffee before a long drive would not suffice. Solution, a run :) As the hordes were exiting the Business Park on foot, bikes and buses I hit the Seafront path around Clontarf for a few miles in the fading early evening autumn sun. There are trails in the grass parallel to the path and groups of runners/triathletes doing their thing. The idea was to wake myself up so I opted for a steady to LT effort over a capped plod. It worked. Really enjoyed it. A no rush shower and onto the road for a less stressful commute home.

pac_man wrote: »
    You've every right to tell me to mind my own business but why would you do a run like that after coming back from injury? The impression I get from reading your log is that, you've bags of potential and a good work ethic but if you reined yourself in a bit, you'd benefit more.

I've said it before but this is one of the reasons I like this place. Fair question and my eternal problem!

Long day and I was feeling sleepy. I had a long drive ahead and needed to wake the body up. There was no plan. Just run 30-40mins. Not hard but not easy either. Rest day today and back to easy tomorrow

Friday October 26

Easy Capped 10k Row
    41:46 hr 144/150 rate 20
    20 second improvement and cardiac drift didn't win. Felt reasonably good after a rest day yesterday. I have a decision to make about Joining Limerick Masters swim club. I haven't swam since the summer but I've been on a waiting list all year.

Sunday 27 October

Capped Easy Run 8.2 miles @7:54
    I felt great. Cold, dark, calm evening. I had beats in my ears for once and found a metronomic rhythm. Just plugged away a nice loop of the city taking in the Quays, King John's Castle, Thomond Park and the bank by night. I kept a lid on it effort wise.

Delighted to register just over an hour running. My longest in ages. With all the talk of DCM my memories flicked back to it and I've promised myself I'll do it again next year. Limerick may not be the sub3. I've just lost too much prep time. Still, I have 8 weeks before I start the plan and I still intent to go through with it. Whatever it will yield.

5hrs for the week.
    4x runs for 26.56 miles
    2x rows for 20,000m

Still small change but it's progress nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I have a decision to make about Joining Limerick Masters swim club. I haven't swam since the summer but I've been on a waiting list all year.

In my humble opinion shotgun this would be a great move for you, and would help your running for a few reasons:

1. Non impact high intensity sessions
    2. Competitive atmosphere that would suit a type A without many injury risks
    3. Hopefully convince that brain of yours to run s-l-o-w when required
    4. Strengthen core/physique and work muscle groups that seem to break down from running stress
    5. You're bloody good at it and its great fun!
    (6. Irish Open Champs on your doorstep March 1st/2nd)

;) I'm sure you'll make the right choice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Sunday 27 October

Capped Easy Run 8.2 miles @7:54
    I felt great. Cold, dark, calm evening. I had beats in my ears for once and found a metronomic rhythm. Just plugged away a nice loop of the city taking in the Quays, King John's Castle, Thomond Park and the bank by night. I kept a lid on it effort wise.

Delighted to register just over an hour running. My longest in ages. With all the talk of DCM my memories flicked back to it and I've promised myself I'll do it again next year. Limerick may not be the sub3. I've just lost too much prep time. Still, I have 8 weeks before I start the plan and I still intent to go through with it. Whatever it will yield.

5hrs for the week.
    4x runs for 26.56 miles
    2x rows for 20,000m

Still small change but it's progress nonetheless
    I've said it to you before,give me a buzz,and we can do a few long runs for Limerick.Do not chalk the sub 3 off,just yet.Rakes of time to get in shape.I pulled off a sub 3 today in Dublin,despite not running for the last15 days.(sore ankle).Just do lots of easy miles until Xmas,and you can step it up then.

Cheers Lads
    @KG - Decision made :)
    @Kerrylad1 - Will do for sure, and well done on your sub3 DCM!

Monday 29 October

Easy Run 6.55 miles @8:08
    Daylight trot around suburbia and through a few rivers of leaves. That is some bitter wind out there! Brrrrr. This was a a hillier route than yesterday and as such more challenging to keep a cap on the effort. Did it for all except 2 long hills that I was just too stubborn to walk. I stretched the legs a little for the last half mile home. Just feels good to be running again. Aiming for 30 miles this week in between other things. Weigh in this morning was 82.2kg. Seems I've stemmed the tide. Now to drop a bit before the mince pies appear!

Tuesday 30 October

Yoga & Bootcamp
    30 mins early yoga with Adriene before the motorway. Then at lunchtime a short intense boot camp class.
    5mins dynamic warm up
    12mins 500 reps as 5x 20 squats, mountain climbers, shoulder tips, lunges and half burpees. No rest
    15mins as 3x 60sec burpees, 60 sec low side to side lunge and 60sec ab scissors. All out with 30sec recoveries

The quads and glutes are going to feel this tomorrow!

Happy Halloween! October 31

Recovery Run 5.22 miles @8:45
    Nearly excused myself out of it. Forgot shoes. Cold and wet out and I had short shorts and tee. My glutes and hamstrings were in bits from boot camp yesterday. I always keep an older pair of shoes stored away in work so that can never be an excuse. The first 2 miles were more of a controlled falling. The sore muscles didn't loosen up much. Cold downpours added to make this a pretty miserable run. Good to get it done as this evening is for trick or treating

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement