Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Shotgun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cross train day. Short Concept 2 erg. 20mins including a 2k in 7:23.7. I'll get this under 7 by year end. Some stretching after. Had a salad and chicken & chorizo pasta earlier. Really bloated after it. Wont be getting again. I prefer the spinach & ricotta version instead.

Yesterday's 13km planned run turned into a 60 minute Zumba class followed by 3.33k run with backpack back to my car. All in it was 78 mins decent cardio (I don't have 2 left feet so I can give the Zumba some!).

Zumba is not going to get me around 42.2km in Dublin in October but I was really pressed for time and the class was at work

Been off the radar for a while. Very nearly packed it in. Hit the restart button for the umpteenth time this year.

Sunday: 16km on the Concept 2 rower. Aerobic. I have an outstanding goal form a few years back and a few logs back where I wanted to do a hat trick of sub 3 marathons, a swim, a run and a row. I did the swim, the run will have to wait until I'm ready and fit to give it a go but I have a rower at home so no excuse there. Expecting to complete that one by Christmas.

Monday: Crossfit. Good Jesus. It is just the Foundation course this week. So checking my squat technique for a range of different squats (perfect) then a WOD workout of the day. Since I was a newbie and getting 1 to 1 coaching I got off "lightly"

WOD
    5 narrow release press ups
    10 Wall balls 8kg
    15 sit ups over a pad thingy

5 set of the above with no rest as fast as possible with full range of motion. 5mins 54secs but my heart rate hit 184! All squats are below horizontal, full ROM. I must have done over 120 of those last night and was near cramping. Feeling it today. An that was just the newbie mini introduction! It was body shocked, plain and simple

A very ginger run planned for later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Are you still doing DCM?

Are you still doing DCM?

Yes. I plan to start running this weekend. Still have time for a half dozen long runs. Which would be a half dozen more than I did for the last marathon! Honestly. The Marathon is just 1) a goal to get me moving and "fit to train". I haven't put in a winter in a couple of years and winter is coming :-) and 2) Sean and I planning to do the AON.

• Advertisement

I'm actually a little scared of going back to crossfit this evening. My quads are smashed from the other night, my abs hurt if I move. Walking and getting into my car is a problem let alone even attempting a squat. I want to bail but cannot. This will be interesting...

Survived the crossfit. Foundation set 2 of 3. Had company tonight. A Mountain runner. Anyway thankfully more of a shoulder focus. First a press up game snatching a cone from each other. She was up for it. Next, went through techniques then a short workout called Fran. The beginners version.

Thrusters - only using the 20kg oly bar (standard is 42.5kg)
    Ring pull ups almost horizontal (standard is horizontal)
    21 - 15 - 9 reps of each.

Only a few minutes but enough to rapidly jack the heart rate up and hurt. 20 minutes yoga afterwars which felt great.

I wanted to run yesterday but simply couldn't. Quads got a break tonight so run tomorrow is a must.

Run didn't happen. Not because I didn't want to but down to Ab DOMS. OMFG. Severe isn't the word. Feel's like my stomach is badly sunburned or was hit with a bat a few dozen times. At least it's confirmed there are some abs hidden in there under the weight I've put on. It's a good hurt though right? I was doing something right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Hey Mike- its great to see you back at the coalface and I hope you keep logging here and lots of races!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey Mike. Fair play to you for keeping on trekking, I'm on a similar journey too. Not sure sometimes why I keep trying but I think it's important that we do :) My motto is similar, "do something, anything"

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. Well great intentions dashed again this weekend. I'm just not synced up with the universe.

1. Strained left bicep. Obviously from doing those Crossfit ring pulls like a madman last Wednesday. Thought it was just DOMS on Friday but could not straighten my arm on Friday night and even worse Saturday morning. Caz recommended I get a tub of "Ritchie's Rub". Apparently as popular with cyclists and runners as it is with horses. Massaged it in 3 times a day and although the natural healing took effect, it was good stuff. Pretty minty and you really need to rub it in but it helped.

2. Vertigo. I get it often but never for days. Had it all weekend and having 2 tiny kids, you really feel it.

So, feeling fairly normal this morning. I did 20 minutes paddling on the erg. Then had to give it up as my almost 3 year old wanted a go :-)

I really am trying to get back on the horse, honestly

The Vertigo was a symptom of another underlying problem. Left work feeling dizzy Monday and symptoms escalated quickly from there. I thought I knew physical pain from pushing to the limit in a race or breaking bones, cutting open flesh, but this was a different kettle of fish. Imagine a vice like cramp on the back of your calf, you know the ones. Takes a minute to tease it out. Now multiply that to your entire body including your face. I was mid seizure #2 when the ambulance arrived and I was literally under the mercy of the 3rd one. I was vomiting violently also.

Anyway it lead to a couple of rough days in hospital and today it almost feels like a distant memory as I went for a walk in the sunshine. I couldn't walk for 3 days. I have never had the feeling of not having control of my body and it scared me enough to ring for help. The root cause was a viral labrynthitis coupled with the usual craic I have to monitor. Made for a nasty cocktail. I can't drive yet until the Vertigo bit clears up but I should be good to do some exercise (not running or cycling or anything outdoors) soon.

I was in 2 minds whether to share this as its deeply personal but just writing it out is helping to alleviate the remnants of the scare. Plus it will get lost here easily unlike any other social media. Got to say the Nursing Staff at Limerick University Regional are amazing. There is just not enough of them there. 23 hours on a trolley in the shiny spanking new A&E! Anyway, I'll get back to logging more positive stuff soon, promise :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Jeez Mike you've been through the wars! I hope you get fixed soon- you seem to be in good hands with diagnosis etc.

Over the past few years many of the "old-timers" on the forum have had to take a step back from competition because of illness/injury. Its a difficult step when you're forced to take it, and those of us relatively fit need to count our blessings for the good days and make the most of them.

Good luck with the recovery and no doubt you'll be back at the coalface before you know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Crikey Mike, I'm really sorry to hear what you've been going through. That must have been a scary episode fro you and your family.

How are you recovering? Can only imagine how tough being sidelined is from a mental point of view as well as a physical one.

Is there anything us Boardsies can do to help? Social outing to the 12 O clocks or Moylussa when you're feeling up to it?

Thanks Paul and Neady a trek would be just the ticket. Planning on AON with Sean this winter so a few training treks before then.

Doc didn't sign me back to work or driving so depending a lot on family. Still on the recovery but the Vertigo is disappearing. At least I know exactly what happened, how to know the symptoms and what to do if it happens again.

Some exercise today: Concept 2 rower. 5x 1,000m with 2 minutes active recover. Not letting it hot the red zone. I'm well down on power and fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

really sorry for the crap Mike, hope you are on the road to recovery. If you need anything i am close by and its no problems.

Thanks BM must hook up for a run wen I get back running.

8,000m Z2 effort Concept 2 erg today. 34:14. 2:08.3/500m pace and 19spm. HR avg 146. Plan to do this a few times a week then build up a longer session once I feel some fitness

Another 8,000m on the C2 erg in 33:59. Avg HR 142 so better overall than last session. Felt almost normal today. A run isn't far away

Saturday
    8,000m Z2 Concept 2 rower. 33:49 and 138avg HR. Felt very comfortable and 100% aerobic, which is the point of it. Will keep plugging these in to tap into the Base fitness, if it is still there.

Avg pace was 2:06.8/500. For 8k. It's a long way off holding 2:02 for 42.2k. Small steps..

Seeing the doc tomorrow and expecting the green light to go back to work, driving and normality. Weigh in this morning was 83.7kg. Lightest I've been this year. Some running should help to get down to where I want to be.

2x 8,000m Z2 erg sessions today about 3 hours apart.

1. 33:49 avg HR 141. Was going grand until my mum called in. Had to stop a few seconds while the pace boat kept going. Pushed a bit to catch it for a dead draw by the end but overall effort closer to cap

2. 33:45 avg HR 145. Usually I cross from Z1 to Z2 around 1.5 to 2k. I was there after 500m this time which meant staying up at the aerobic cap for most of the last 3k and higher overall avg HR

• Advertisement

Another 8,000m Z2 erg in 33:38. Avg HR 143. Really enjoying these short sessions. Trying to keep up with my best pace boat without crossing the Z2 aerobic cap.

Got the green light from the doc today to 'slowly' get back to normal busy life.

8,000m erg in 33:29 avg HR 137. Rock solid session and 7 minutes in Z1 and max HR 149 is best session yet. You might think it boring to do the same thing every day but I'm enjoying it. It's slowly getting me back to a rhythm and some variety coming soon.

What else but 8,000m C2 row in 33:22 avg HR 141 max 153.
    Dropped another 7 seconds. First one last week was 34:14 so good progress at a capped aerobic level. Aiming for a longer one this weekend.

Still not 100% so need to be certain before I go for a run. Frustrating but health is #1 and need to be careful. DCM is 46 days away so not on. Waste, as well as the money I spent on the Crossfit but I'll get back to both.

Very unoriginal 8,000m Z2 row in 33:16 avg HR 142 max 153. A few more seconds off. At least I'm doing something every day. If I get a longer one done Sunday. I'll slowly add stuff from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hope you don't you mind me asking Mike, but how much sleep are you getting? Giving you're posting updates at 23:xx regularly I'm guessing not enough. Given the importance of sleep in recovery, should you be trying to get a bit more? I know, it's not easy with kids in the house but something that caught my eye with your posts.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hope you don't you mind me asking Mike, but how much sleep are you getting? Giving you're posting updates at 23:xx regularly I'm guessing not enough. Given the importance of sleep in recovery, should you be trying to get a bit more? I know, it's not easy with kids in the house but something that caught my eye with your posts.

Hey P - observing as always. You are right , Sleep is the best recovery. Its a very good question.

In short: Kids are 1 and 3! I'm working on it!

8,000m Z2 capped aerobic row again in 33:12 avg 142 HR max 154. So another 4 seconds off but it was at more or less the Z2 limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

8,000m Z2 capped aerobic row again in 33:12 avg 142 HR max 154. So another 4 seconds off but it was at more or less the Z2 limit.

Before 11pm tonight ........ Big Brother is watching you :)

Oh well Neady. 8,000m again on the rower in 34:37. Avg HR 129 max 138. Easy tonight mostly Z1 because hopefully will get a longer one tomorrow. Family calling over and I'm cooking. 8 adults and 8 kids so if it's not done early it won't get done.

Actually had this session done before 9. Watching the Women's triathlon Grand Final now. I'll be in bed before 12 Neady!

• Advertisement

Longer one done this morning. 16,000m in 69:14 avg HR 140 max 154. Sometimes hard to concentrate when the kids wanted to jump on too. Long and boring. Need toons for these ones...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement