Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Shotgun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Strictly my ar$e :pac: :D

Nice going. From the pictures I saw it looked amazing. One for me to try given it's on my doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

LOL no excuse P
    Where did you see pics?

I'm in the same running club as Lonan and Sinead. There were some pics posted on the WhatsApp group.

How are the quads today?

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'm in the same running club as Lonan and Sinead. There were some pics posted on the WhatsApp group.

How are the quads today?

I walked into work. Fine
    Then I sat at a desk. Not Fine.

I have a strong muscle rub stuff they give to horses at home. Been rubbing that on. Its minty enough to make your eyes water but its doing the trick.
    I'm now motivated to get out and get running fit. Took some ragged Mountains to wake me up. Some craic in that club so I'd say!

So why haven't you wondered into the mountains yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I walked into work. Fine

I have a strong muscle rub stuff they give to horses at home. Been rubbing that on. Its minty enough to make your eyes water but its doing the trick.
    I'm now motivated to get out and get running fit. Took some ragged Mountains to wake me up. Some craic in that club so I'd say!

don't mind that horses stuff. get some decent homemade poitin. they rub it on greyhounds. greyhounds are faster than horses. so by that logic...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great report M, and it was so much fun catching up with you on Saturday - what a day on the hills, it's something else meeting everyone and enjoying the views. Seriously, if that's your pace when you're unfit, I wouldn't like to be trying to keep with you when you're fit :) and you were most certainly not slowing us down. You know many don't finish that challenge on their first attempt - the Col is a beast. Some poor English fell runner, on his hands and knees going up Maam Tuck Mór, was telling us that he'd never seen the like of it before :D

Sorry we missed you at the end, the first bus was leaving to go back to the cars at 2:20ish so we hit for home.

I tagged you in some of Kevins (the dude with the beard and the shorts) photos - you were grinning ear to ear at the checkpoint at the Col so I figured you made it home in one piece. I'll send them through to you on FB.

Gibbo ... I'm taking names from club members to replace Lonan when he leaves - happy to put you on the list :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Sorry we missed you at the end, the first bus was leaving to go back to the cars at 2:20ish so we hit for home.
    :)

Ha I arrived back at 2:22! Literally missed ye by 2 minutes.
    Your rite of passage Pgibbo will be to do this Challenge next year you know!

Lonans report from the two weeks of racing/training is here :) You feature in there.

I don't need to write any Turks report :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I really enjoyed that report and 7.5 hours that is great going well done

I walked into work. Fine

Time would be the main issue Mike. Once Barca is done this year I'll be turning my attention to some of this as I've enjoyed chatting with Lonan about it at the cross country races. Plus I really enjoyed the mountain runs in WAR when I did it.

P.

• Advertisement

16-22 April. Time is flying by...

The Summary Numbers
    Mon: 36min commute
    Tue: Row Aerobic 36:09 8,862m and 33min commute
    Wed: Row Aerobic 41:30 9,997m
    Thu: 45min commute, Run 8.22km at 5:30 pace and 20min Yoga
    Fri: Run 10.32km at 4:54 pace and 34min commute
    Sat: Run 8.11lkm at 4:55 pace and 20min Yoga
    Sun: Row Aerobic 1:27:37 21,097m

Comments
    8 hours for the week not great but 3 runs and 3 rows is ok. No swimming for the 4th week running is not ok. Plus commuting to Dublin on Wednesday this week so I'll miss that swim booo.

A few years ago I set a task of 3 sub 3 marathons. A swim, a run and a row. To date I've only completed the swim (10k in 2:50) and the goal for the row and run are 2:55. I decided that I'd keep the base training capped until I could complete a half marathon on the erg below the cap (156bpm) or 10km running at marathon base below the cap. Happy to check off the rowing one this week although that is easier than the running one. It just means now I'll add some interval work and longer rows on top of the base. Unfortunately my right forearm has been giving me trouble and is very stiff today. Feeling old!

For running I still have a lot of aerobic base miles to put in before I hit the 10km milestone. Then there are 2 other milestones to hit before I start a marathon plan. Its a mountain to climb but I like mountains.

More numbers
    I set some training volume goals. 2,000km running and 2,000km rowing plus some other smaller bits n pieces, 1,000km on the bike and 150km swimming etc..
    I'm tracking
    280km behind the run goal
    190km behind the row goal
    10km ahead of the swim goal
    I haven't started cycling yet

I guess its customary to knock on the door with a run posted!
    6km easy in the cooling sunshine on my lunch break. Felt wooden.

This excuse for a log has moved over from the TDAR forum. I've existed there through various logs since originally migrating from this Forum. The breakaway bunch of triathletes... the dark side as it was called. Well, that stuff is done and I'm more run focused so it makes sense to hang out in this neighborhood.

Short history beyond this log
    2010-2015 lots of triathlons, adventure races, swim events, MTB races...
    30-35km running per week
    2016 Broken Bones and a Big Adventure Race
    352km total or 7km running per week
    2017 Illness and Life excuses
    386km total or 7.5km per week
    2018 306km done or 17km per week.

The Goal is Sub3. Clear and simple. Despite the lack of running the last 2 years there is probably enough in the tank to finish a marathon with a few months of volume. However I have that T Shirt so the plan is to do it properly for once. Give it 12 months. Focus on building a base and layering a decent marathon plan on top of it. Most likely an attempt at Limerick next year as its on my doorstep so zero logistic headaches and I should know the course backwards. I'll also plot some milestones backwards from there to benchmark progress.

2012 the last time I was run fit. My PBs hail from 2011 and 2012. My 2 legitimate sub 3 attempts were failures. Mixed into triathlon training or too soon after a long triathlon. Limerick 2012 was a DNF after 20 miles and Berlin 2011 was a 3:15 after 2 hours on track. My last marathon was a 4:19 in 2016

Cramps is an issue for me. I have to manage them carefully. I just cramp and I've tried everything. So, putting all the training in is one thing, actual execution is another. I most recently cramped heavily in the quads for the best part of 3 hours on some mountains in Connemara.

The other issue is Balance. Travel with work, My Sons Rugby Schedule, 2 Toddlers, Caz's Tennis and general Life like everyone else. My running windows are generally <6am and >9pm with an occasional window to get a short one done at work. I also cannot let go of the odd swim, bike, row, yoga or mountain hike...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome :D:D

Get a plan. Get some structure. No bother to you :D

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome :D:D

Get a plan. Get some structure. No bother to you :D

Thank you thank you!
    You know me. A plan is there or at least a skeletal plan. At least I've been close before so I know what weight I need to hit, what volume I need to hit and what PBs I need to hit to be on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

I guess its customary to knock on the door with a run posted!
    6km easy in the cooling sunshine on my lunch break. Felt wooden.

This excuse for a log has moved over from the TDAR forum. I've existed there through various logs since originally migrating from this Forum. The breakaway bunch of triathletes... the dark side as it was called. Well, that stuff is done and I'm more run focused so it makes sense to hang out in this neighborhood.

Short history beyond this log
    2010-2015 lots of triathlons, adventure races, swim events, MTB races...
    30-35km running per week
    2016 Broken Bones and a Big Adventure Race
    352km total or 7km running per week
    2017 Illness and Life excuses
    386km total or 7.5km per week
    2018 306km done or 17km per week.

The Goal is Sub3. Clear and simple. Despite the lack of running the last 2 years there is probably enough in the tank to finish a marathon with a few months of volume. However I have that T Shirt so the plan is to do it properly for once. Give it 12 months. Focus on building a base and layering a decent marathon plan on top of it. Most likely an attempt at Limerick next year as its on my doorstep so zero logistic headaches and I should know the course backwards. I'll also plot some milestones backwards from there to benchmark progress.

2012 the last time I was run fit. My PBs hail from 2011 and 2012. My 2 legitimate sub 3 attempts were failures. Mixed into triathlon training or too soon after a long triathlon. Limerick 2012 was a DNF after 20 miles and Berlin 2011 was a 3:15 after 2 hours on track. My last marathon was a 4:19 in 2016

Cramps is an issue for me. I have to manage them carefully. I just cramp and I've tried everything. So, putting all the training in is one thing, actual execution is another. I most recently cramped heavily in the quads for the best part of 3 hours on some mountains in Connemara.

The other issue is Balance. Travel with work, My Sons Rugby Schedule, 2 Toddlers, Caz's Tennis and general Life like everyone else. My running windows are generally <6am and >9pm with an occasional window to get a short one done at work. I also cannot let go of the odd swim, bike, row, yoga or mountain hike...

Best of luck Mike. Glad to see you having another cut at this goal, you are well able. I was only thinking this weekend that I may aim for Limerick 2019 myself as my first attempt at the distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this seems apt.

farewell to our fallen brethern. via taps from his (new?) type of race.

you're always welcome over on on the other side mike, but enjoy the retirement.

mossym wrote: »

this seems apt.

farewell to our fallen brethern. via taps from his (new?) type of race.

you're always welcome over on on the other side mike, but enjoy the retirement.

So appropriate M :)

The very best of luck with your goal M, I've no doubt that you'll smash it with your determination and knowledge. Come back soon though, I know you won't stay away from swim, bike, yoga, row, hike, etc for too long :)

LOL thanks guys n gals. Sure the Open Waters Open Mountains will lure me back but got to keep the priority checked. I'll still wonder over as I follow all your logs and adventures. @Medefo and if you need a place to stay you are welcome!

Out at the crack of dawn this morning as I had to head to the Big Smoke for work. Thankfully schools are sort of off and the M50 and Naas were moving.
    10.86km done as my first dawn session in a while. It was chilly and calm to start and wet and breezy to finish. Mainly flat route through town and along the bank. I need to get used to these early sessions to make the plan work. Pace was 4:57 which I'll take for an aerobic effort. Heart rate 145 average but 161 max. Basically controlled enough but I couldn't keep it in the zone for the last hill and it took a while to come back down after the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

What a waste of a good set of broad shoulders:D

Best of luck with the sub3 Mike!

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    What a waste of a good set of broad shoulders:D

Best of luck with the sub3 Mike!

Don't worry. Rowing and Swimming will feature. The Guns will take shape again! Still the sub3 row to do too

• Advertisement

Wednesday 9 May Session 2

Aerobic row. Z2 row at 2:55 Marathon pace for 10k or 156HR cap, whichever came first. Actual: 10,108m max HR 153. Happy enough with that considering I felt tired starting. Long day.

Might do a benchmark run this weekend. Park Run 5k on Saturday or Mungret 10k on Sunday. I'm leaning towards the Park Run as I've never done one and I think I'm too unfit and overweight to not be dejected at the end of a 10k plod. When I did my Marathon PB back in 2011 I was 75.8kg. I'm 84kg at the moment and its mostly spare tyre :-(

Thursday 10 May

36min commute (walk-jog) and 30min yoga today. Almost nothing but its still something. The yoga is a 30 step home session. Zoe (3) joins me sometimes. Decided I'll do the parkrun this Saturday.

Saturday 12 May

Limerick parkrun results for event #118. Your time was 00:21:36.
    Congratulations on completing your 1st parkrun and your 1st at Limerick parkrun today. You finished in 9th place and were the 8th male out of a field of 104 parkrunners and you came 1st in your age category VM40-44. Take a look at this week's full set of results on our website. Well done on your first parkrun. We have set this as your PB.

It was a gorgeous morning for anything. Even a little warm for running. 2km easy before the parkrun and 5.54km after. 12.54km all together for just over an hour of running. The parkrun itself was a hole opener. Think it was 6 years ago I last did a 5k. Overall happy with the return from the current state I'm in. Its a start and that was this weeks objective.

Splits were 4:02, 4:11, 4:27, 4:35, 4:15. Clearly off too fast. There was just a group of 6 ahead of me. Dialed it back as I started to wheeze. Pacing and breathing all over the place. Had to settle myself by 3km or I'd have needed the inhaler. Loops helped to break it down. The buggy with bells behind me for most of it gave me the incentive to just push the last lap. I felt horrible but it was a nice event and I met friendly familiar faces. The aerobic run after was a plod but enjoyed the sunny trot around my old uni stomping grounds.

35min Yoga with Zoe on the decking when I got home. Chest was a bit raw but legs are OK. Lawn and hedges next and I'm done for the day

Sunday 13 May

Medium long run 1hr22. Well, long from my current perspective.
    16.38km at 5:02 pace. HR 153 avg 169 max.

Nice route around town instead of estates. It was cool and cloudy. The first 8k were OK but my legs were a little fatigued from yesterday. By 12k I had salty lips. The last 4k were hilly and my heart rate just would not come down to Z2. It was nowhere near as comfortable as a long(ish) run should be but that's going to be the case for most runs until my body adapts. It was not fuelled, as in I headed out before breakfast. I felt pretty ropey afterwards as I have a bit of vertigo and fatigue made it worse. Its just something I have to deal with.

Happy to get a longer run done. The target this week was 4 runs with one longer. That's done. 45.8km for the week is a good start for me as its been more like my monthly average up to now. Consistency and conditioning is my new mantra.

Monday 14 May

Swim session 2,600m. After the drills to warm up the main set was
    3x(200m, 3x100m, 200m)
    It was March 23 I was last in the pool so I was happy to see the lanes were across the pool this morning making it a 25m pool. I lead out the first 2 sets and immediately found a lovely balanced rotation. It just clicked and I felt the higher elbow acceleration at my hips. It felt right on the sweet spot. This rarely happens when you are in a zone. I lost it toward the end of the 2nd set as I tired so I dropped to the back of the lane group to re focus. My own sets same in on
    3:09, 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 3:12
    3:12, 1:33, 1:36, 1:36, 3:14

Good swim. Another "Finding Shotgun" objective I have this year is to join the Limerick Masters, If they will have me. I tentatively sent them a message last night.

Quick note on running. Was at a christening party at a mates over the weekend and met a lad I knew from mountain running years ago. Turns out he is aiming for sub3 at Limerick next year too and lives around the corner from me. Training partner for long runs and tempo stuff sort or sorted s it won't all be on my own. That's a good thing!

Another thing is I went over my training diary from 2011. I was focused on my first Ironman and had a very good winter behind me. My approach to marathons that year was lunacy.
    1. You don't need to do a practice marathon for an Ironman. There is one at the end of it which will do!
    2. I did 3 marathons altogether, 1 surprise and 2 failures. My long run pace and general aerobic pace was generally much too fast. I did too much volume at PMP.

The Marathons.
    1. Connemara on 10 April. 3:00:20. Shocked at that. I just ran "easy" barely above aerobic zone to go through the half in 1:27 ahead of the mass half marathon start. Was simply enjoying the remoteness of it until the big hills at the end. It dawned on me I might make sub 3 but I met a wind on that hill and didn't make it. Still a huge unexpected PB though
    2. Limerick 19 days later. I went out with a 2:56 and 2:58 pace band on my wrist. Ran with 2 friends of mine (inc the eventual Ladies winner) and we passed half way in 1:25. It was madness. I crashed at 18m and dropped out at 21m afraid I'd do real damage to my Ironman A goal.
    3. Berlin 6 weeks after the hardest race I'd ever done to that point. A 10 hour Ironman with a 3:59 marathon on a river bank in unshaded 35 degree heat! I felt good and loved the atmosphere in Berlin. On 2 hours I cramped badly in both quads. Couldn't get rid of them and came in 3:15 dejected and angry with myself.

So many mistakes. The Marathons were done in the midst of lots of cycling and swimming (I cycled from Galway to Limerick the day after Connemara!). I was light and in good shape but never gave any of those marathons proper attention. The risks I carried into each one was stupid. No recovery plan and it was just crazy to do them in between triathlons. In 2012 I came back an got PBs for 10k and half marathon but left it at that. Over 5 years later I'm targeting a marathon again but I think I have my head screwed on this time...

Monday 14 May session 2

Aerobic row Z2. Row 10k or stop when the HR hits the aerobic cap (156bpm).
    Actual 9,952m in 39:48 so the drift won. The erg is not just good cross training but a good barometer for fatigue etc. At worst I've only hit 5k and fully fresh 21k. 10k is middle ground and either side tells me something.

In Dublin for the next 2 days so gotta get up early and get the run done. If I miss it window is gone.

Tuesday 15 May

Ooh didn't hit the snooze but very nearly fell back asleep. Reminded myself that I have to make these windows. Out for 6am for an aerobic 9.27km in 46:56. It was a capped base hr run so hr was avg 147 and max 155. Pace 5:04. It was 4:55 ish on straights but climbed on any incline. There were 2 decent drags that I had to slow right down and a short sharp flyover that I had to actually walk for a few seconds to keep my heart rate in zone.

It was cool, cloudy and humid enough to sweat. The first km was slow, sleepy and sluggish. Once I woke up I just about ran slow enough to keep the heart rate at the upper end of the base zone but disciplined enough too to walk on the last hill. I know if I get consistent this will feel easier in in a few weeks but for now it felt like a run. Quick shower, swallowed some Weetabix, hugged the kids and onto the road.

Wednesday 16 May

Early run again. 11.44km out and back on a cool sunny busy Dublin City morning. Out and back so I would not get lost. I still missed the turn for my hotel and did an extra km around the block to find it. Pace was 5:00 but heart rate was 148 avg and 156 max. Right at the top end of base cap, and a beat over. There was a long pull up the Drumcondra road where I had to run pretty slowly to keep it down. It was that last km when I was more focused on finding my hotel than my watch, that it crept over the cap. Nice run and I felt good, except for feeling the weight on any inclines.

Thursday 17 May

Interval Run 10x400m with 1 minute active recovery.

Figured I'd go off my recent 5k time as that's all I have. 21:36 hmm... 98-103secs per rep then. About 4km base warm up and it was warm and humid. Then the set. 94, 93, 90, 97, 91, 91, 100, 94, 94, 96. A bit all over the place but I need consistency to get consistent. Average 94 which was 3:57 pace. I'll take that.

I needed the recovery though and had to stop after a couple of them that I pushed too hard. My max heart rate was 179 which is not really pushing too far into Z5. More there but not fit enough to push into it. I spent 7 minutes in the red zone though and that was enough quality without over doing it. The jog home under the base cap again had me walking on the Motorway Flyover by my house. Looking forward to when I can run over it with my heart rate in check. I looking forward to not carrying this weight up the hills. Discipline Mike! Overall 13km in 1:02:22

• Advertisement

Friday 18 May

Swim Session 1,500m. Short 33 minute swim with the morning group of which only 24 was actually swimming.
    The set: 3x100m easy, 6x150m steady, 3x100m fast
    The main work was the 900m (6x150m). I lead out the lane and hit 1:33-1:35 pace for them. I felt good.

Since I was catching the back of the lane group by the end of reps I hopped into the Shark lane for the fast 100s. 1:22, 1:26, 1:29 and I was done. The coach called 6x but I was just beating the water by the 3rd and gaining nothing. I have a rule with myself that if my form/technique goes to pot I drop back or get into a lane by myself. I see no benefit in flogging the water. This morning I just hopped out for an early shower happy with the little I did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement