Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SW812 Panel best replacement ?

Options
  • 23-05-2017 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I am looking for advice on what is the best and easiest for a diy replacement for my HKC SW812 panel. I currently have a digi dialer on it and it is connected to my phone line, since Eir stopped supporting texts on their fixed phone lines I pay a monthly charge 3 euro to HKC so I can receive texts for alarm events.
    My goal is to cancel my phone line a monthly cost of 35 euro plus. Phone is only used for the alarm we only ever use our mobiles. I only have mobile BB as no chance of anything decent on my phone line as I am 9kms from exchange.
    The plan would be upgrade the panel to something that can either use the mobile BB or have its own sim or better still both to alert me of alarm events.
    This would potentially save me 40 euro month.
    What alarm would be the best fit for my needs ?
    I have 8 zones all hard wired back to panel and three keypads but guessing these would be redundant with an up to date panel. I fitted the alarm myself so would hoping to do same with a replacement.
    Any advise on panel to go for ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The GSD i1070 would be a good straightforward swap out. They have a WiFi card which will give you free apps and free notifications without any monthly or annual charges.
    Siemens Vanderbilt SPC 4320 would be another good choice. As above that system also has free apps with no ongoing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

hatchman wrote: »
    I am looking for advice on what is the best and easiest for a diy replacement for my HKC SW812 panel. I currently have a digi dialer on it and it is connected to my phone line, since Eir stopped supporting texts on their fixed phone lines I pay a monthly charge 3 euro to HKC so I can receive texts for alarm events.
    My goal is to cancel my phone line a monthly cost of 35 euro plus. Phone is only used for the alarm we only ever use our mobiles. I only have mobile BB as no chance of anything decent on my phone line as I am 9kms from exchange.
    The plan would be upgrade the panel to something that can either use the mobile BB or have its own sim or better still both to alert me of alarm events.
    I have 8 zones all hard wired back to panel and three keypads but guessing these would be redundant with an up to date panel. I fitted the alarm myself so would hoping to do same with a replacement.
    Thanks

The newer HKC 1070 with a GSM-SC for app control and text. It's the best and most reliable system out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    The GSD i1070 would be a good straightforward swap out. They have a WiFi card which will give you free apps and free notifications without any monthly or annual charges.
    Siemens Vanderbilt SPC 4320 would be another good choice. As above that system also has free apps with no ongoing charges.

But neither will be capable of transmitting alarm events when your electricity is switched off. All you will get is a failure notification.
    You are better off with some sort of a system that will use external providers signals so some system with a SIM card is the way to go.

I don't know of any manufacturer that will provide free SIM maintenance, I would also recommend the HKC 10/70 as it ticks all the boxes and is tried, tested and reliable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Both panels I recommended can transmit mains faults and any other events via numerous other paths.
    Both panels I recommended can also notify you within 5 minutes of total comms failure.
    HKC notify of poll fails after 8 hours.
    I wasn't getting into these options as the OP appears to want to get away from ongoing costs.
    If he does require sim /GPRS back up I would recommend the GSD system also. Total charges are €40 per year. Poll fail time can be 5 minutes. Apps are free and if you want to cancel payments you do not lose app usage or any notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    Both panels I recommended can transmit mains faults and any other events via numerous other paths.
    Both panels I recommended can also notify you within 5 minutes of total comms failure.
    HKC notify of poll fails after 8 hours.
    I wasn't getting into these options as the OP appears to want to get away from ongoing costs.
    If he does require sim /GPRS back up I would recommend the GSD system also. Total charges are ?40 per year. Poll fail time can be 5 minutes. Apps are free and if you want to cancel payments you do not lose app usage or any notifications.

But you are relying on something that is not part of a security system to relay alarm events, sorry, but i find that a weakness. Normal routers are not good enough in my book and I never rely on them and neither do i promote them.
    You only mentioned the 'free' word, which is surely via the customers own router, the other numerous paths have to involve some sort of a cost to the client.
    With regard to comms failure, well that is something i am sure no professional installer wants to happen, therefore again multiple paths should be utilised.
    With regard to HKC, you are correct, yes 8 hour notification is correct but that is on their cheapest package, i do not promote this instead i go for other options.

When i read:
    That suggested to me that the OP is prepared to pay something for notification.

• Advertisement

No matter what comms path you use you are relying on something that is not part of the alarm system.
    We argue this over and over again. Even paying the higher fees from HKC the notification is 90 minutes in the event of all comms lost.
    I, d prefer five minutes or less for my money. I'd also prefer to have the choice of free apps and notifications if I want that.
    Remember, the majority of domestic systems out there are still standalone. If someone doesn't want monitoring or apps we still sell them a decent alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks

Another option instead of taking out the panel you have would be to install the http://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/gsm-sw-sc/communicators/#.WSSUZuvyuM8.

This is connected to the HKC App service.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Lads many thanks for all the advise lots to think about.
    I don't mind paying but like it to be a lot less than 40 euro a month I am currently paying i.e. paying for landline and paying for HKC securetext.

The reason I started to think about it is due to the fact that the secure text feature on the alarm stopped texting and started calling my phone. I contacted HKC and they informed me of an issue with some SecureText lines.
    I was thinking it maybe time to update but Altor has me thinking now that as a temporary stop gap I could get GSM-SW-SC. Is it possible for a DIYer to install this ? I installed the alarm and I believe it to be working without issue for the last 6 years apart from text side obviously so thinking I could manage but do you have to be an installer to set up on SecureComm ?

Informed that hkc securetext is now only working if your landline is with Eir directly. As I have mine through sky I won't receive texts in the event of an alarm. It will phone me but i wont know the exact event. Guessing most installers are aware of this change.

There's a lot of issues with a lot phone lines coming. Seems many of the traditional landlines are being switched to VOIP in the background. Time to get away from them I reckon.

• Advertisement

Lads many thanks for all the advise lots to think about.
    I don't mind paying but like it to be a lot less than 40 euro a month I am currently paying i.e. paying for landline and paying for HKC securetext.

The reason I started to think about it is due to the fact that the secure text feature on the alarm stopped texting and started calling my phone. I contacted HKC and they informed me of an issue with some SecureText lines.
    I was thinking it maybe time to update but Altor has me thinking now that as a temporary stop gap I could get GSM-SW-SC. Is it possible for a DIYer to install this ? I installed the alarm and I believe it to be working without issue for the last 6 years apart from text side obviously so thinking I could manage but do you have to be an installer to set up on SecureComm ?

If you have no other issues with the alarm plus have engineer access it is straight forward to add to your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Informed that hkc securetext is now only working if your landline is with Eir directly. As I have mine through sky I won't receive texts in the event of an alarm. It will phone me but i wont know the exact event. Guessing most installers are aware of this change.

I have the same issue as you and I am with Vodafone for the landline. Have you tried ringing Sky to get them to fix it? I'm going to ring Vodafone as I contacted them on here and they said nothing was changed on my line.

I have the same issue as you and I am with Vodafone for the landline. Have you tried ringing Sky to get them to fix it? I'm going to ring Vodafone as I contacted them on here and they said nothing was changed on my line.

Its just another nail in the coffin for my landline I'm afraid I don't reckon sky can change my line back or would be bothered. It has now become an unnecessary bill in my house so as soon as I get sorted with an alternative for the alarm I will be canceling landline.

Called sky today they said nothing has changed on my land line. Said there was a hiss on line and I will have troubleshoot that first with them. Going to do that tomorrow as i need a corded phone. Has there been a change with non eir customers or not I wonder ?

altor wrote:
    Another option instead of taking out the panel you have would be to install the

altor wrote:
    This is connected to the HKC App service.

Also could some one give me a ball park price of the hkc gsm-sw-sc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Could I also get a quote please for the above GSM dialler.

Thanks

Also could some one give me a ball park price of the hkc gsm-sw-sc ?
    Could I also get a quote please for the above GSM dialler.

Thanks

We do not give out prices on here.
    Here is a link to the suppliers list who will be able to price it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Has there been a change with non eir customers or not I wonder ?

Would also be curious to know this. Had a SecureText system stop working recently with Vodafone. Had opted out of their VOIP changeover. Latest phone bill shows when the alarm goes off, it's dialing out to the HKC number over and over again, until it presumably gives up.

Would also be curious to know this. Had a SecureText system stop working recently with Vodafone. Had opted out of their VOIP changeover. Latest phone bill shows when the alarm goes off, it's dialing out to the HKC number over and over again, until it presumably gives up.

Id get back onto Vodafone, its their end that has changed meaning its stopped the text working. Its all about a cheaper option for them to get you to go VOIP.

All phone lines are eventually going like this.Too many providers & too many variables.The landlines days are numbered.Time to move on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement