Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Ambulance Service Student Paramedic

• 23-05-2017 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Thought I would make a dedicated thread for Student Paramedic recruitments, news, rumours, questions etc.

With a few different threads sometimes the same thing is being discussed, but in two different threads and theres an odd back and forth between which thread is active.

Idk if the mods want to lock the other threads or say this is pointless but we'll see how it goes.

There is a lot of really good information and advice in the previous threads though so I'll link the biggest one here for future reference.

Currently active recruitment:
    May 2017
    Stage: Accepting applications, closing date June 7th 2017.

Next class: Tallaght September 2017 EOI not posted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Hi hope its not off topic but as regards applying for student paramedic I have foundation Maths done for my leaving cert. Have my EMT so I know the science subject is covered.

Is going back and doing my maths again the only way of making my application eligible or is their any other courses that once completed would supersede or at least be on the same level at the leaving?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Parapara2017

mojopin10 wrote: »
    Hi hope its not off topic but as regards applying for student paramedic I have foundation Maths done for my leaving cert. Have my EMT so I know the science subject is covered.

Is going back and doing my maths again the only way of making my application eligible or is their any other courses that once completed would supersede or at least be on the same level at the leaving?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Be in possession of a minimum of six passes in the Leaving Certificate Examination Ordinary Level or higher including Mathematics and a Science subject (i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Agriculture Science)*
    *A Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) EMT Certificate is acceptable in lieu of Science subject

Or

(ii) An equivalent qualification

Or

(iii) A Degree at QQI L7 or above from a recognised Higher or Further Education Institute

So yes as long as you have the other passes in the other 4 subjects (EMT in lieu of a science) you can do ordinary maths and meet the educational requirements.

Or doing a level 7 diploma, which usually are 1-2 years afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

Would anyone recommend doing the aptitude preparation course? Are they worth spending the money for or can you do without it? I've done aptitude tests before.

Would anyone recommend doing the aptitude preparation course? Are they worth spending the money for or can you do without it? I've done aptitude tests before.

I wouldn't. Use the practice links they give you and if you're struggling to get your head around in google free ones to practice or watch some youtube videos.

Interview prep courses would be more beneficial use of your money imo. Competency based interviews aee very different from a standard interview a lot of people would be used to. The key thing to do is research everything to make your own choice. Only you can really knoe if a course would be beneficial for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

I personally would recommend doing them. I did a one day course in The Morgan hotel in Dublin after failing the aptitude test on my 1st time applying. I don't think I would have passed second time around either if I hadn't a done it. I'd of had no previous experience with aptitude test and you only get 2 samples off the HSE in preparation. At least with the courses if you've never done aptitude testing before they go from the real basics and you will do samples that are extremely like what you can expect from the HSE test.

But thats my opinion, I thought it was €150 well spent as I felt much more confident in myself going in for the test the second time around.

• Advertisement

And we are go!

EOI for Tallaght is live.

32(!!!) Places! Start date September 11th 2017.

Feb 2017 guys can now ring up and find out their overall place on the panel and from that work out how many people were put on from December 16.

Wasn't expecting such a high amount of places, I'd heard Tallaght can hold that much but the last few have been the low 20s!

This changes things, looks like top of the December panel will be going to the first ballinasloe class in the new year. Should now only be a maximum of 7 left from pre Dec panel. Number one from December will now be a minimum of 8th overall.

Great end to the bank holiday weekend and start of Summer for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jodster85

Hi guys,

Totally new to posting on this. Got an email about Tallaght today for sept. I live in galway and was wondering if I do not accept Tallaght in the hope I would get ballinsloe in January. Or is that crazy , just accept Dublin for Sept. Cannot get in touch with the office. Any advice would be grateful, thanks.

Jodster85 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Totally new to posting on this. Got an email about Tallaght today for sept. I live in galway and was wondering if I do not accept Tallaght in the hope I would get ballinsloe in January. Or is that crazy , just accept Dublin for Sept. Cannot get in touch with the office. Any advice would be grateful, thanks.
    If you're not interested just don't respond and your place on the panel will not change. You'll still be invited to express an interest for future classes.

Also, this email is not an offer. Its an invitation to express interest in a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mar2313

I spoke to two paramedics and they said there's a ballinasloe course this August ?

Yes EOI for the August class in Ballinasloe went out the 1st week of April.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. How many places were offered back then?

mar2313 wrote: »
    Ah, I see. How many places were offered back then?

23 ballinasloe is a smaller class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sanya12

Is anyone here starting in Tallagh in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Disappear

Did anyone who expressed an interest in the September tallaght class hear anything back.

Disappear wrote: »
    Did anyone who expressed an interest in the September tallaght class hear anything back.

Yes around 12 o clock this afternoon..

Yes around 12 o clock this afternoon..

Ah brilliant.....I'll be waiting till March so. Best of luck Olivia.......get saving for a new laptop

Why March? I wonder how far did they get with the February panel.

Sanya12 wrote: »
    Why March? I wonder how far did they get with the February panel.

Not supposed to be any more classes this year so I'm assuming March and April again next year........ballinasloe and tallaght.....

Got offered Tallaght!!

Congratulations! Are you February's panel or before that? When did you hear?

• Advertisement

Got offered Tallaght!!

Well done....got the offer myself....I'll see you there......😨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭PadraigPearse

Got offered Tallaght!!

Congrats man, see you there :)

Got tallaght too ! Super excited hope to see ye all in September :)

Got placed in feb applied Dec 16

• Registered Users Posts: 39 toger21

Congrats everyone & wishing ye all the best. I got placed 7th (had my interview in April) on my panel. I got the EOI and rang to see where I was overall and was told 90 but was 40 campaign wise with 32 places for Tallaght in Sept.. So i'm not sure does this mean I rise 32 places and for next class whenever that is i'll be number 8 or 58.. kinda confused on those two numbers.

Ok, that makes no sense! I am 9th on your panel, however I was told I was 53rd before they took the 32. So how come your numbers are so different if we are 2 places appart?

beats the hell outa me :)

Send them an email and see what comes back. At least it will be officially there

yea just done there now.

• Advertisement

Yeah... So it seems your own panel rank doesn't convert to the overall rank...

So perhaps is someone scored 100% they would be number 1 even if interviewed in April?

🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

toger21 wrote: »
    yea just done there now.

Did you hear anything back?

I also rang last week and was given two numbers. One overall panel placement number and an overall order of merit number. I'm on the same panel as yourself, a few positions after you.

So are we now going on the basis that your overall panel number is irrelevant and it all comes down to order for merit?

so from my reading if you express an interest in attending in whatever EOI that you reply to, you are placed dependant in order of merit (say if you were 101 overall, but you could be placed 52nd out of all candidates who expressed an interest with 32 places going to the top candidates.

So if you didn't get a job offer for this particular class you will rise 32 places on the panel. Your order of merit will be different for the next class depending on the location and if the candidates higher on the panel express an interest.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1 janekearn

Hi All,
    I had an interview on the 24th of July and heard back last week that i placed on the panel. I know this is the third panel to be created since February so does anyone know how quickly they are moving through the panels and making class groups? any word on any classes starting later in the year?
    Also do we have any say in the location or are you just offered whatever is available?

janekearn wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I had an interview on the 24th of July and heard back last week that i placed on the panel. I know this is the third panel to be created since February so does anyone know how quickly they are moving through the panels and making class groups? any word on any classes starting later in the year?
    Also do we have any say in the location or are you just offered whatever is available?
    No word. You could be waiting between 9-12 months. But maybe more.

You can accept whatever location you like. If you're offered Ballinasloe first but what Tallaght you just don't express interest and then express for the next Tallaght class.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dubs17

Anyone know when the next classes are coming up and how regularly they are run?
    Were the people who have been offered a place in a class waiting long?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I had my interview on the 3rd of May. I'm patiently waiting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanreadie

Anyone know when the next intake of student paramedics would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Liveandletdie

This boards is new to me but im wondering for any paramedics here. I have a son whose interested in becoming a paramedic when he does his leaving. Howsever he is colourblind and I tried to see online the medical standards for paramedics? Can any one tell me for definate can he try and pursue a career as a paramedic with being colourblind. Does anyone know of paramedics that are colourblind. Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Grahamfire

Is he protan or duetan colourblind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Liveandletdie

Grahamfire wrote: »
    Is he protan or duetan colourblind ?

He is red /green colour blind. Deuton I believe

• Advertisement
Advertisement