Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extortionate Electricity Bill on Vacating

Options
  • 23-05-2017 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

I have just left an apartment I was renting.
    I am already in dispute with the landlord over an illegal rent rise and a seperate withholding of deposit.
    I have just received an electricity bill for more than double what I would expect in the depths of winter.
    The landlord conducted the reading after I lodged my complaint with the rtb.
    I rang electric Ireland and they said there is nothing they can do because it was a customer reading. I know the answer I will get if I ask for access to the meter box and I don't want to have any contact with the LL until after mediation.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is adding this to the rtb complaint the only way to go?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ask for a copy of the bill and compare it to the bill before?
    It might have been all estimates:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

....... wrote: »

I know, I know. I thought we were on good terms and that the Landlords were, at minimum, honest. Lesson learnt the hard way.
    ....... wrote: »
    I'm living nearly an hour away. I don't think I'll gwet a chance before mediation. I'll just ask for a picture as a part of that process. Although it will be nearly a month after the reading at that point, it seems the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Call the management company for the apartment and asked for the apartment cleaner/janitor to read the meter for you. A lot of companies do it no problem, as in a fair amount of complexes, they are often the only person with the meter access

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm living nearly an hour away.
    Well, is it worth your money?

• Advertisement
Advertisement