Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Bay 10k | Dun Laoghaire | Monday, 7th Aug, 10:30

Options
  • 23-05-2017 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭

A popular race round these parts, held on fully closed roads on a scenic but challenging course.

Not too involved this year as I'll be away, but as always can field questions or get back with feedback.

Race info here
    Registration here - early bird discount at €20 until the end of the month.

18582341_1809087589106337_2032199783242059757_n.jpg?oh=f26384482904ac7e5cd689246d999530&oe=59C2716A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I see no mention again this year on age cat prizes. Last year over 60's were lumped in with the over 50's, hardly fair that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I see no mention again this year on age cat prizes. Last year over 60's were lumped in with the over 50's, hardly fair that !!

Not sure tbh, I've mentioned it several times over the years based on feedback here and other outlets.

I'll see the RD this week and ask what the categories are for this year and can they add to the website.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Not sure tbh, I've mentioned it several times over the years based on feedback here and other outlets.

I'll see the RD this week and ask what the categories are for this year and can they add to the website.

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bump

Reminded him last night

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Reminded him last night

Another bump !!!. Even tried a message on the facebook page. It would appear that nobody bothers reading them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭romteilly

Doing this race on Monday, can anyone tell me where to park also what kinda terrain is the race, I'd expect hills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

romteilly wrote: »
    Doing this race on Monday, can anyone tell me where to park also what kinda terrain is the race, I'd expect hills

Parking is free on street on the Bank Holiday Monday. In around the peoples park. Is close to the end line and not to far from the start.

From what I remember most of the climbing is in the first 5 km. Particularly at about three km climbing from Dun Laoighaire up to Monkstown as far as the water stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

romteilly wrote: »

Regarding parking, they sent out an e-mail with info during the week about it. Helpful enough and at least tells you what car parks are affected by the race so you know to avoid them. Only been there once before and on that occasion, I was public transporting it, so haven't a clue about it other than the info listed. At least picking up the numbers tomorrow with the missus will allow me to know where to aim for on the Monday morning and not been giving myself extra hassle before it!
    Parking Information

We would encourage everyone to use public transport if possible. However, if you are driving, parking information can be found here; https://www.dunlaoghaire.ie/about-dun-laoghaire/parking/

On Race day, Avoid the following Car Parks are there will be disruption due to Race route and finish;

Carlisle Pier Car Park

Dún Laoghaire Harbour Underground Car Park
    LexIcon
    Pavilion

Bank Holiday Monday is treated same as Sunday for Public Parking, Although please check parking signs in the area you park.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Does anyone know if there's any way possible to enter this race? Completely forgot to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Feenix wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's any way possible to enter this race? Completely forgot to do it.

There's late registration tomorrow at the Royal Marine I'd imagine you'd want to be there for half 8 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Brilliant race, extremely well organised and a lovely day for it.
    Hilly enough course but well supported, really enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone involved, will be doing this again next year for sure.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Brilliant race, extremely well organised and a lovely day for it.
    Hilly enough course but well supported, really enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone involved, will be doing this again next year for sure.

Yeah wont say its enjoyable due to the hilly course but it is a great event. One I like doing. Big screen at the finish line is a nice feature. Start was a bit unexpected. The gun went off and nobody moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Delighted with today, took my time down 10 minutes from 2 years ago and a first sub 40, great event as always and nice to be able to walk to a race every now and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Another great event this year.

Hot day though - thank feck for that kid with the hose around Elton Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

As a club we provide helpers for this race, give out water for the start, medals at the end. I can't understand why the water can't be closer to the finish line. Otherwise looks like a fun race, nearly counts as a hill run ;)

Hopefully the organisers might have a look at designing a new tee shirt for next year, the current one has been around for a few years now. A change would be nice.

Really enjoyed the run, and I managed to knock nearly 40 seconds off last year's time.The kids with the water were much appreciated.

As an aside, anyone else notice the Garda armed response unit at the run?
    Has it now become standard practice to have the unit around when there is a large crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

As an aside, anyone else notice the Garda armed response unit at the run?
    Has it now become standard practice to have the unit around when there is a large crowd?

They heard Andy was gonna race it

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

First time to run in Dun Laoghaire myself in my second 10K race to take part in. Happy enough with my own run coming in just a minute over the best I've ever ran a 10K. The inclines provided an interesting challenge out there, that is for sure!

For myself I was delighted to get around without any hiccups. My first 10K race was the SPAR Fitlive one a few weeks back and I hit the wall there towards the end. Approached this more measured which was important for me with all those inclines. Happy to come in underneath the 55 minute mark. Also probably didn't help I had a few impromptu pints with the lads the night before!

Warm day for a run. I was only saying to the wife (who also ran it) when we were picking up the numbers on Sunday that the overcast conditions would have been prefect a run. That been said, I think I most enjoyed the trek back down the hill, the bay in sight over the roof-tops and that lovely breeze hitting the face. That, along with the kid with the hose, was tonic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

Great weather. If anything it was a bit hot for me.

Knocked 90 seconds off last year which I am happy enough with although I missed breaking the 50min mark by a hair. I blame a miscalculation with breakfast coming back to haunt me forcing me to be a bit more careful in the second half.

Other then that. Yeah. I agree current t shirt is ugly as sin and its been around a few years and in desperate need to a change. I guess they got them in bulk huh?

Also the MC at the start of the race completely missing the start time and just randomly going "GO!" with no count down or nothing was also pretty a tad annoying. Dude just wanted people to sing whatever naff song they where playing. LOL.

I love the course though. Hills in the first half give it a bit of a challenge and then its mostly downhill for the second outside of one two little bits and the sprint to the finish. For a 10k it has a lot of variation to keep the legs interested.

• Advertisement

Also the MC at the start of the race completely missing the start time and just randomly going "GO!" with no count down or nothing was also pretty a tad annoying. Dude just wanted people to sing whatever naff song they where playing. LOL.

Nothing naff about Bagatelle

Advertisement