Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has your enthusiasm waned?

• 23-05-2017 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My excitement for the books has waned.

The TV series hasn't been as good as earlier seasons, three or four episodes aside, but that is also fairly reflective of the books. The books are really badly written in parts, poorly edited and could be seriously condensed.

I think I am putting more faith in the TV series at this point because:

1. It's more likely to actually finish
    2. They do a pretty decent job of cutting the crap parts from the books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Kinda. Either way I won't be watching it until all released and we can binge watch it over a few days. It's definitely a programme for dark evenings, fire lit sort of viewing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I washed my hands of the series when they killed Stannis, the one true King.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought the last season was a real step up from the previous two but I agree it's hard to keep enthusiasm for something 6 seasons in when they've deliberately milked the fans for so long. I'd hoped they were delaying this season because they knew for sure that the next book would be out in spring but that doesn't seem to be the case.

GRRM's clear lack of interest in writing the next book means that he's forfeited the right to decide how people will remember his own characters' outcome.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I'm really pissed off re the books, he is a bollix.

Looking forward to S7 but agree it's not like b4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The fact that this will be a short season, like the one after, has dampened my enthusiasm a bit although the story is going to be as long as it needs to be and not fluffed out and that's a good thing.

I don't mind getting an episode at a time at all. Letting the last one sink in and anticipating the next is a very important part of the fun for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

I don't mind getting an episode at a time at all. Letting the last one sink in and anticipating the next is a very important part of the fun for me.

I agree with this...gives some time to come up with your own theories and ideas about how it's going to play out too. Especially now the books are behind. A full week of anticipation and debate with friends really is enjoyable.

I'll admit I am looking forward to the new season but not as much as earlier ones. Maybe as the due date is closer the excitement and anticipation will grow. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

GS11 wrote: »
    I'm really pissed off re the books, he is a bollix.

Looking forward to S7 but agree it's not like b4.

GRRM is interested in doing everything but finishing the series.

Dunk and Egg got your fancy? What about a Wildcards novel? Winds of Winter... what was that again? Sorry, have to get to a conference.

---

My enthusiasm for the series has waned as many of the best characters have been killed off and I can't sustain disbelief for the continuation of the war in Westeros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The TV show has pissed me off for a while. I started watching after reading the first 2. Season 1 did a decent enough job and seemed to be well planned and intricately​ linking the stories with a few threads. After that it just seemed like they started dropping in random storylines with no plan to how they were going to bring it together in the future.

Now it's just 3 minutes with this character, 3 minutes with the next and they seem to be really struggling to find a common theme over episodes rather than just moving the story forward. One big set piece after another and just a rush job without any real characterisation.

It's well acted enough to keep me watching and as above I'd rather not have the ending spoiled by some wanker on buzzfeed or whatever so I'll continue to watch. Maybe there is hope yet, sure they've killed or omitted most of the interesting characters left in the book so I'd hope (probably in vain) for a vastly different outcome between the 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Grrm is waiting for the show to finish to see how it ends as he cant end the books himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Grrm is waiting for the show to finish to see how it ends as he cant end the books himself

The ending is the least of his problems imo, its the intricacies of the plot to get there that's his problem. The TV program can just ignore any logic or continuity if they want something to fit the plot (Arya blithely wandering around Braavos in contravention of everything that was established re her character being one example of many hundreds of possible examples). I suspect GRRM tortures himself to make sure every sentence 'fits'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

With the books? Yep. Happened years ago. Read the first three as they were published. The gaps were so long that I'd go back each time to read the previous before I read the new one. Just to refresh. Gave up in 2000, thinking 'I'll just wait till they're all done. 5 year gap. Then 6 year gap. And still not finished. I've given away my first three books. Won't bother at this stage finishing the others,

So, a roundabout answer..... No. my enthusiasm hasn't waned. It's not there at all. I do enjoy the tv show, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement