Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 PRO12 Final buildup

13»

Comments

I don't think Scarlets are the best team in the PRO12.

They've absolutely peaked at the right time but I think they've benefited from the lack of knock out European rugby. I think they've a terrific squad and are playing with the same kind of belief Connacht had last season.

Leinster and Munster intrinsically seem to not respect the pro12 and their under performances against Scarlets are telling of this fact. Both teams seem to have faltered having dropped out of the European competition.

Next year should be interesting but I think it's good for the league that a Welsh team won. All countries have had a winner recently and that is not a bad thing.

They absolutely destroyed the knock out stages.

I am still unsure about the League -> KO setup.

But if you're someone who thinks it's a good setup, then you have to admit that Scarlets absolutely and utterly nailed the tournament as a whole.

Kept busy and interested throughout the season, with the intention of finishing the regular season and Playoffs on top form.

They crushed the competition structure. They might not be the best team, but they whipped two of the best teams in one-off games.

They absolutely destroyed the knock out stages.

I am still unsure about the League -> KO setup.

But if you're someone who thinks it's a good setup, then you have to admit that Scarlets absolutely and utterly nailed the tournament as a whole.

Kept busy and interested throughout the season, with the intention of finishing the regular season and Playoffs on top form.

They crushed the competition structure. They might not be the best team, but they whipped two of the best teams in one-off games.

Leinster were by far and away the best team in the tournament but their direction faltered at the final hurdle after a tough rebuilding season with a huge amount of novices and new coaching structure.

That said, tournaments are won at the business end and this is when Scarlets chose to deliver their best. It's just a pity it wasn't a more competitive final, Munster completely collapsed and didn't offer any passion or fight. It was a one sided affair from the outset.

Big job for Rassie next season. This was a difficult season in isolation and he did incredibly well.

Leinster second in the league table during regular season.

Fell at first hurdle at KO stage.

Not sure I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not sure I agree.

Leinster played a weakened squad against Ulster because of the knock outs though. That was the difference between first and second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »

Not sure I agree.

Leinster played a weakened squad against Ulster because of the knock outs though. That was the difference between first and second.

Don't forget Ulster played a weakened side as well.

The truth is Leinster's form dropped off at the point in the season when the Scarlets peaked. Given the way the season is structured I suppose we'd have to say the Scarlets managed it better so they played the season better than anyone else and are champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's a playoff situation. Everyone knows that and needs to plan their season accordingly. The Scarlets peaked perfectly and did so without their two highest profile tight forwards too which is all the more impressive given their front five is generally seen as their weakest area.

Leinster and Munster might be better teams 80% of the time but that doesn't matter if they don't win when the silverware is on the line. Toulon have made an art form from it over the past 3-4 years. Only on 3 occasions have the team that finished top of the table actually won the title. It's no coincidence that, from those 3 occasions, none of the champions were involved in the final 4 of the ECC/HEC:

- 2011 Munster eliminated from HEC pool stage
    - 2014 Leinster eliminated from ECC quarter final
    - 2015 Glasgow eliminated from HEC pool stage

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    Don't forget Ulster played a weakened side as well.

The truth is Leinster's form dropped off at the point in the season when the Scarlets peaked. Given the way the season is structured I suppose we'd have to say the Scarlets managed it better so they played the season better than anyone else and are champions.

Yeah true. But I think Henshaw alone would have made an enormous difference on the day. Plus of that was a do or die game there's no way we'd have started Carbery, or left him there for 80 minutes when he was clearly struggling. Of course just how fit Sexton was at the time we don't really know. Given his performance against Clermont I reckon he was probably fine.

Leinster struggled for form at the end of the season because we started playing silly buggers with selection. Instead of building some form on continuity heading into the knock outs in the league we went completely the opposite direction and suffered for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Teams will always have to peak at the end of the season regardless and so the league will be affected by that anyway. Even if it's a straight league structure teams will be peaking in April/May and those games will ultimately decide the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Leinster were by far and away the best team in the tournament but their direction faltered at the final hurdle after a tough rebuilding season with a huge amount of novices and new coaching structure.

That said, tournaments are won at the business end and this is when Scarlets chose to deliver their best. It's just a pity it wasn't a more competitive final, Munster completely collapsed and didn't offer any passion or fight. It was a one sided affair from the outset.

Big job for Rassie next season. This was a difficult season in isolation and he did incredibly well.

Nonsense, Leinster were nowhere near the 'far and away best team in the tournament'

• Advertisement
Advertisement