Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Fitzpatrick to get off Scott Free

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

washman3 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think this bothers him in the slightest.??
    The only difference between this guy and John Gilligan is that Seanie wears a suit. Scum of the earth.!!

thats a scandalous comment

valoren wrote: »
    What else could be expected.

The only consolation is that his reputation is completely and thoroughly destroyed.
    While he may have been acquitted but his reputation is irrevocably damaged.
    Your reputation is everything. You may enjoy the finest in material possession, but if your reputation is gone, it's all for nothing.

While he may not serve any prison time, he will now continue to enjoy a special kind of prison.
    Where he is a pariah, an outcast, an embarrassment to his friends and family.

For all his charm and his talents, in the final summation, he is nothing but a crook despite what the courts will say.
    Look at his expression in that IT article. He's a broken man. He knows everyone thinks he is a crook.
    There is some solace in that for me.
    image.jpg

or an innocent man has had the best part of his retirement years taken from him for a political witch hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Boaty wrote: »
    He got off because he's not guilty so get over it, you lot would be delighted if someone got let off for not paying their taxes. We can't have double standards.

errm what? he got off due to technicalities, dirty tricks campaign and more to the point the incompetence of prosecution.

since the get go, his team have tried to disrupt this trial over and over with every possible stunt and it looks like they have finally succeeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

valoren wrote: »
    What else could be expected.

The only consolation is that his reputation is completely and thoroughly destroyed.
    While he may have been acquitted but his reputation is irrevocably damaged.
    Your reputation is everything. You may enjoy the finest in material possession, but if your reputation is gone, it's all for nothing.

While he may not serve any prison time, he will now continue to enjoy a special kind of prison.
    Where he is a pariah, an outcast, an embarrassment to his friends and family.

For all his charm and his talents, in the final summation, he is nothing but a crook despite what the courts will say.
    Look at his expression in that IT article. He's a broken man. He knows everyone thinks he is a crook.
    There is some solace in that for me.
    image.jpg

Sorry but you clearly don't know what these people are actually like.

I worked in AIB for 2 years, and did you know that not one person in AIB did anything wrong in the lead up to the crash?

They don't care. Joe public means nothing to them.
    These senior bankers are the most arrogant, audacious people you will ever meet.

He, and his family and friends will be partying tonight, trust me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Wombatman wrote: »
    Bet the Enron lads sent to jail for 24 years wish they were Irish.
    Rumour has it that Bernie Madoff wants become an Irish citizen and be retried in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

washman3 wrote: »
    Why wasn't he acquitted yesterday then...???

Everything is a grand conspiracy by the 'elite' I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

lawred2 wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't do anything illegal according to Irish law.

And I bet whatever he did is still not illegal under Irish law.

What he was accused of doing is HIGHLY illegal under Irish law. It seems it's "not safe" to convict him on the available admissible evidence.

Like I said, I'm delighted for the little c-word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well one good thing has come out of this. It reminds people that welfare recipients aren't the one putting the major strain on the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Cyrus wrote: »
    a waste of time, total posturing by FG and the AG, Fitzpatrick was never going to go to jail for any of these 'crimes' and now the judge has ordered an acquittal.

I called this at the time on a thread only to be abused on a height from those slobbering at the mouth looking for someone to be jailed for something.

someone has to commit a crime to be imprisoned.

I don't necessarily agree.

He was never going to get hard time but IMHO (and it is just my opinion) crimes were committed.

The judge made it clear that the prosecution damaged the case, particularly some actions during the earlier trial.. Hence the acquittal.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Why out of interest is there only one judge on a case of such importance? Should there not have been two at minimum.

Can the state appeal this.

Has anyone actually been jailed for the mess that was caused. I think if I recall, a grand total of 1 person?

You cannot be jailed for making a mess,or for gambling only for committing a crime,,,, breaking the law..

The question is how many people actually broke the law and has the law been amended to ensure that anyone doing something similar again will a actually be breaking a law..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

From the Irish Times article:
    It emerged last year that documents relevant to the case had been shredded by ODCE solicitor Kevin O?Connell, who later sought medical treatment.

Anyone have anymore information on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

knipex wrote: »
    You cannot be jailed for making a mess,or for gambling only for committing a crime,,,, breaking the law..

The question is how many people actually broke the law and has the law been amended to ensure that anyone doing something similar again will a actually be breaking a law..

This is true, the issue here is the crime was so great that we don't have a law for it.

This man's recklessness has cost every single person in this country €6,250 each (working on a population of 4.8 million people)

He probably should have been tried for Treason, it may have gotten a bit further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

I'd have been more surprised had he been locked up tbh.

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

or an innocent man has had the best part of his retirement years taken from him for a political witch hunt.

Yes. He's like an Irish OJ Simpson.

You must be one of the people in this clip

Knock yourself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Scott is innocent.

Free Scott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Frances Fitzgerald has some star employees in her department. Even Sean Fitzpatrick should not be convicted just because of who he is. This just shows off the incompetence of ODCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

How much compensation do we have to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He got free legal aid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

grahambo wrote: »
    This is true, the issue here is the crime was so great that we don't have a law for it.

This man's recklessness has cost every single person in this country €6,250 each (working on a population of 4.8 million people)

He probably should have been tried for Treason, it may have gotten a bit further.
    Is that figure from Sinn Fein or AAA?

The banking crisis and economic crash was worldwide. Values of property assets tumbled.

Any loans based on property assets became under pressure all over the world.

There was certainly some reckless lending, but most of the lending was quite normal for the market at that time.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Is that figure from Sinn Fein or AAA?

The banking crisis and economic crash was worldwide. Values of property assets tumbled.

Any loans based on property assets became under pressure all over the world.

There was certainly some reckless lending, but most of the lending was quite normal for the market at that time.

Its 30 billion (amount state invested in Anglo) divided by 4.8 million.

However 30 billion is roughly 15% of the national debt...

We owed 40 billion in 2006 and 200billion in 2017

only 30 billion went into Anglo. That leaves 130 billion that didn't go into Anglo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Nope. Prosecutor shedding papers defence were entitled to. He will get soon to be announced pay rise and huge pension with no repercussions. Should be sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

He was acquitted by a Jury that deliberated. He was found not guilty of providing unlawful financial assistance to 10 individuals (the maple 10). A judge ordered he be acquitted of charges to do with the Quinn. Loans.

What can you do? I may disagree with a Jury verdict. But it is what it is. He was found innocent. That is the system

There are more individuals to face charges regarding providing unlawful financial assistance to the Maple ten and the Quinn loans. So we shall see what happens there.

Jury acquitted him.

It's hard to get fired up about it though right now.

knipex wrote: »
    Its 30 billion (amount state invested in Anglo) divided by 4.8 million.

However 30 billion is roughly 15% of the national debt...

We owed 40 billion in 2006 and 200billion in 2017

only 30 billion went into Anglo. That leaves 130 billion that didn't go into Anglo..

No dispute on the figure, but every euro of loss can't be laid at the door of one person. The AAA brigade will mouth off stuff like that but its just their usual soundbites.

I do reckon that senior figures knew it was a basket case in mid 2008 and hoped that the market would recover and trued anything and everything to delay what became the inevitable.

But remember a year previously Anglo was stated to be the best performing bank in the world by the influential Oliver Wyman and was lauded at the Davos economic forum

But once the financial house of cards started falling around the world, any bank that depended on property assets was in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Friends in high places, you don't need a jury when the judge decides for them. Let him sue the state now for a big settlement. Only in lreland the delinquent EU member.

They should not bother bringing Drumm to trial and waste more tax payers money, it will go the same way. No jury needed either, if it goes go to trial, the judge will decide.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Friends in high places, you don't need a jury when the judge decides for them. Let him sue the state now for a big settlement. Only in lreland the delinquent EU member.

The Judge didn't shred the evidence.

A real cock up. Hard questions need to be directed at the ODCE and its staff and procedures. If a Solicitor in private practice did that, he'd be looking at his insurance policy and waiting for the claim.

The jury did deliberate on charges to to with the Maple 10. It was only charges on the Quinn Loans the judge ordered an acquittal.

I don't mean to defend him. I think he is immoral. But just to be clear.

The jury themselves acquitted him of the Maple 10 charges.

There are more individuals to face charges I have heard. I wonder if that had bearing on the judges decision.

The jury did deliberate on charges to to with the Maple 10. It was only charges on the Quinn Loans the judge ordered an acquittal.

I don't mean to defend him. I think he is immoral. But just to be clear.

The jury themselves acquitted him of the Maple 10 charges.

There are more individuals to face charges I have heard. I wonder if that had bearing on the judges decision.

They should just let it go now. The prosecution are not up to scratch. Billions wasted and now this none sense of pretend trials.

They should just let it go now. The prosecution are not up to scratch. Billions wasted and now this none sense of pretend trials.
    I am not so certain that would be wise. But I can certainly understand your frustration of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Seems like the prosecutors made an absolute mess of it, totally missed what should have been an open goal.
    You'd wonder why they messed up so badly and why drumm was extradited back to not face justice...if you were cynical about the elites in this country...

You're ridiculous - you can't sue the state for being not guilty of a case brought against you.

Remember in Ireland and most civilised societies you are innocent til proven guilty.

Not that it matters to the gutter press and their readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

a waste of time, total posturing by FG and the AG, Fitzpatrick was never going to go to jail for any of these 'crimes' and now the judge has ordered an acquittal.

I called this at the time on a thread only to be abused on a height from those slobbering at the mouth looking for someone to be jailed for something.

someone has to commit a crime to be imprisoned.

Well, are'nt you a great fella for that inciteful post:rolleyes:. If memory serves me right, the FG crowd were not in power in 2010;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

So the main prosecutor for the ODCE gave evidence in the first trial but then goes back to his office and notices, for the first time, some evidence - apparantly hand written - that he hadn't disclosed before. Noticed this for the first time the day he gave his final evidence. Even though there it was. Even though he probably wrote it.

His reaction to this discovery which obviously wasn't going to help the case was to harm the case further by shredding of burning the documents. He then told everybody about it in an email and went home.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You're ridiculous - you can't sue the state for being not guilty of a case brought against you.

Remember in Ireland and most civilised societies you are innocent til proven guilty.

Not that it matters to the gutter press and their readers.

I was being facetious. The man never admitted any wrong doing. He may well feel affronted to have been charged with crimes in the first place, tried and since acquited. Hence a possible case for wrongful arrest, and taking his good name ? etc.etc. 126 day trial and the facts about the shredding of documents was known a long time ago. Legal arguments aside, it is only today the case was thrown out. It beggars belief. Roll on the next debacle, so the clowns can mess it up again and beat the record of 126 days and all get big fees with the compliments of the taxpayer.

So the main prosecutor for the ODCE gave evidence in the first trial but then goes back to his office and notices, for the first time, some evidence - apparantly hand written - that he hadn't disclosed before. Noticed this for the first time the day he gave his final evidence. Even though there it was. Even though he probably wrote it.

His reaction to this discovery which obviously wasn't going to help the case was to harm the case further by shredding of burning the documents. He then told everybody about it in an email and went home.

Something not right about that....lol. Conscientious or helpful. The latter perhaps, in hindsight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Sean Fitzpatrick was a Scapegoat from day one hope he sues the state big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why did he do it?

Why did he do it?

It looks like the ODCE made a series of mistakes and screw ups due to inexperience, the allegation was that they coached witnesses and allowed cross contamination of statements, remarkably to the point where Solicitors for the witnesses' own employers noted the problem and raised concerns.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0203/849993-concerns-gardai-did-not-buy-into-fitzpatrick-probe/

Why did he do it? Why would evidence that tends to paint the prosecution in a bad light go missing? Again, the ODCE should face hard questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I remember the same day that Fitzpatrick's trial was postponed last year there was a report in one of the newspapers that a single mother was going to prison for non payment of a fecking tv licence.
    This woman like most others was thousands less better off as a direct direct result of the schanigans that went on at Anglo Irish.
    I was sick to my stomach and even sicker yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Can the jury ignore Seanies golfing buddy Judge, & find him guilty in a nod to natural justice? Then cam they sentence him to a public flogging in Dame Street ?The guards could give him 6 strokes but claim for 12.

Well, are'nt you a great fella for that inciteful post:rolleyes:. If memory serves me right, the FG crowd were not in power in 2010;).

they have presided over the bulk of this sham trial

some people arent finished foaming at the mouth it seems :pac:

I remember the same day that Fitzpatrick's trial was postponed last year there was a report in one of the newspapers that a single mother was going to prison for non payment of a fecking tv licence.
    This woman like most others was thousands less better off as a direct direct result of the schanigans that went on at Anglo Irish.
    I was sick to my stomach and even sicker yesterday.

you are conflating two unrelated events, what did you want sean fitzpatrick to go to jail for?

shenanigans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

grahambo wrote: »
    Sorry but you clearly don't know what these people are actually like.

I worked in AIB for 2 years, and did you know that not one person in AIB did anything wrong in the lead up to the crash?

They don't care. Joe public means nothing to them.
    These senior bankers are the most arrogant, audacious people you will ever meet.

He, and his family and friends will be partying tonight, trust me!

I agree. He's not wired like normal people with a conscience. He'll just see this as two fingers to all his critics. Some people genuinely think they're above the law and have no scruples whatsoever about breaking it, and no empathy or compassion for the lives they damage in the process.

He'll be quite happy showing his brazen face in his favourite expensive restaurants and jetting off on nice holidays, while the rest of us continue to pick up the pieces.

For all that, I'd rather be me than him. And I pity his family, particularly his kids. Imagine having that yoke as a role model?

Sean Fitzpatrick was a Scapegoat from day one hope he sues the state big time.

Yes, poor little innocent lamb. He deserves a big handout from the taxpayers after all his suffering.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

For all that, I'd rather be me than him. And I pity his family, particularly his kids. Imagine having that yoke as a role model?

They'll end up being like him, not giving a **** about anyone else, not a care in the world, loaded and with similar careers no doubt.

They'll end up being like him, not giving a **** about anyone else, not a care in the world, loaded and with similar careers no doubt.

yeah money handed to them like all the rest of the 'elite'

give me a break, Fitzpatrick was the son of a farmer and a civil servant, he made his own money. Ultimately it all went up in smoke, but for a long time anglo were seen as the blueprint from small banks and he built a massive company before the GFC took all the irish banks down.

the truth is that the man was a brilliant entrepreneur who was a self made multi millionaire. Most men of his ilk, who are as successful as he was at one stage arent what most of us would call nice people, and they get to where he got to through unbelievable hard work, determination and also a propensity to take short cuts where they present themselves.

in the end it all blew up in smoke, but this typical irish nonsense about the 'elite' baffles me, and the likelihood of his kids having a career anything like his is almost nil, how many people like him do you think come along every generation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...the truth is that the man was a brilliant entrepreneur who...

...cost this country €30 billion!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

you are conflating two unrelated events, what did you want sean fitzpatrick to go to jail for?

shenanigans

Depends on whether you live in a banana republic of gombeen proportions or not.

yeah money handed to them like all the rest of the 'elite'

give me a break, Fitzpatrick was the son of a farmer and a civil servant, he made his own money. Ultimately it all went up in smoke, but for a long time anglo were seen as the blueprint from small banks and he built a massive company before the GFC took all the irish banks down.

the truth is that the man was a brilliant entrepreneur who was a self made multi millionaire. Most men of his ilk, who are as successful as he was at one stage arent what most of us would call nice people, and they get to where he got to through unbelievable hard work, determination and also a propensity to take short cuts where they present themselves.

in the end it all blew up in smoke, but this typical irish nonsense about the 'elite' baffles me, and the likelihood of his kids having a career anything like his is almost nil, how many people like him do you think come along every generation?

He knowingly broke the law, lied, deceived and gambled with other people's money without their permission. He has caused huge misery and suffering to many people. 'Entrepreneurs' risk their own money, not everyone else's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement