Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me identify a plant

Options
  • 23-05-2017 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭

Hi guys - we recently moved into my partners grandparents house, and this 'thing' has grown to about 15ft high in the back garden. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Her grandfather was a keen gardener but was adamant that he never planted whatever this thing is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

echium pininana

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

echium pininana

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Never seen on of those before, very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Oldtree wrote: »
    Never seen on of those before, very interesting.

Either had we... it wasn't here last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

COH wrote: »

My friend Google tells me it's a biennial, so it grows for one year and then will die the next year after flowering and setting seed. So enjoy it while it is there.

Google also mentioned that the harsh winters in Ireland, relative to its native habitat, have been wiping it out here. If you want to preserve it as part of your gardens history then it may well be worth collecting some ripe seed later in the year before the first frost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Grew from a seed. Might have more next year! I think it's sometimes called pride of Tenerife. They have lots in the zoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Grew from a seed. Might have more next year! I think it's sometimes called pride of Tenerife. They have lots in the zoo!

Sure do have loads in the zoo. Was admiring them today, coincidentally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Diarmuid Gavin has talked about them recently. He's put them in his garden display in Dundrum.

https://instagram.com/p/BRgolE8FNtU/

https://instagram.com/p/BR_XeTYl-do/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

COH wrote: »

It was :) but as a low growing clump of leaves. In its second year it shoots into the tall spike of flowers you have now. It then seeds and dies and the cycle begins again. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've been looking for seeds of this one...really want it.
    Or, a first-year rosette would be fine, too.

I'm in South Dublin, anybody have some or know where I could get it?

Smiles to all fellow-gardeners who understand this craving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I have the craving too....after a visit to the zoo!!

Advertisement