Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtyard Tree ideas

Options
  • 23-05-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I've a decent size courtyard and would like to put a small tree ( ~8ft ) in the centre.
    I'd like something that looks like a larger version of a bonsai tree but I have no idea what type of tree I'm looking for.

Any suggestions or help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Japanese maple would suit very well. Check what size it will grow to though, there are some that only ever get a couple of feet tall and others that make full size trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe consider a self fertile fruit tree on M26 rootstock?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Both good ideas. I love the Japanese maples and "inaba shidare" would be my favourite.

The m26 rootstock would need permanent staking.

Another option to consider would be trees with a fastigate shape, there are both evergreen and deciduous options.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I like this tree as something to look at out of a kitchen window. I don't know what it is.

It's a terrible picture but the tree looks particularly good in winter with the bifurcating branches fully revealed.

IMG_2129.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like a sumach (stags horn sumach) they have lovely colour in the autumn and the branches are interesting in winter, as Lumen says. Very easy to grow though you would have to look out for one that is a nice shape. Bit inclined to throw up suckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Lumen wrote: »
    I like this tree as something to look at out of a kitchen window. I don't know what it is.

It's a terrible picture but the tree looks particularly good in winter with the bifurcating branches fully revealed.

IMG_2129.jpg

I love those. If I translate literally from my own language to English : velvet tree. They also have beautiful flowers and the leaves in autumn, wow !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Another thumbs-up for Sumac, excellent choice: beautiful year-round and doesn't get too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Sumach looks lovely but the suckers are a curse. I dug mine up because it was constantly suckering up through the gravel area adjacent and the lawn in front.

How about an Olive tree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

There was a beautiful chamaecyparis obtusa (no idea of cultivar but it was uncommon and was some variation of nana) in an old courtyard in killarney house. It was a fabulous tree. It was dug out and dumped in the last few years after about 50 years of quiet dignity.

I'd offer that as my suggestion

Advertisement