Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug in ceiling hanging pendent lights

Options
  • 23-05-2017 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ive been looking at something similar to whats linked below. Its a pendent light I would plug into the wall and hang from the ceiling. Its decorative only, would use one of those low wattage traditional style bulbs.

http://www.urbancottageindustries.com/made-for-you/simple-lights

By the time I have configured the type of light I want, (x2), its well over £100. Is this something I could wire myself? Say if I bought two standard wall plugs, a length of electrical cable, and then two bulb holders with two traditional style filament bulbs, can I wire the bulb holders to the sockets on the wall?

thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

oxygen wrote: »

Wow - the next time my wife asks me to wire a plug, I now know what to charge. Clever entrepreneur!

OP - wiring a plug and a lamp holder is pretty easy to do. Just make sure that all wires are tightly screwed in - in particular for the lamp-holder which will have additional weight on it when you hang it with a bulb in it.

Post what kind of configuration you want. I guarantee that you can get 2 of what you want made up for less than a quarter of what that crowd are charging. Its very easily done. Just to add to the previous posters comment, make sure you fit a 3 amp fuse into the plugs instead of the standard 13 amp they come with.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Hey guys

Can I use 2 core electrical cable for this? Specifically this cable, its a good price, €2 for a meter!

https://greenice.com/en/vintage-installation-accesories/6103-red-cable-2x0-75-by-the-metre-8435402564768.html

Granted, without an earth cable I'm not sure how that would work when its plugged into the wall...

thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hey guys

Can I use 2 core electrical cable for this?

Sometimes. It depends on what you are connecting to it. If the bulb holder and light switch are double insulated (100% plastic) they do not require an earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Hey guys

Can I use 2 core electrical cable for this? Specifically this cable, its a good price, €2 for a meter!
    No luck finding anything locally? This site is Spanish AFAIK but shipping does not seem to be over expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

2011 wrote: »
    Sometimes. It depends on what you are connecting to it. If the bulb holder and light switch are double insulated (100% plastic) they do not require an earth.

Yikes, most of the bulb holders Ive been looking at are covered by brass or metal. It will be plugged into a wall socket

Advertisement