Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fidget spinners sellers in Eyre Square-beware!

Options
  • 23-05-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

It falls apart in minutes if not already broken in box...its a real choking hazzard...they don't have CE mark either..I bought 1 in a hurry, what a waste, seller laughed at me when I brought it back...they don't issue receipts either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Should never really buy stuff off the streets. That's where all the shyte that couldn't be sold anywhere else ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

ScumLord wrote: »
    Should never really buy stuff off the streets. That's where all the shyte that couldn't be sold anywhere else ends up.

Oh sure I know ... I just want to feel better ... Don't Get Mad, Get Even!!!
    They told me to call Joe Duffy LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's plenty of well known shops selling the versions with no CE mark on them either. I don't think we have any equivalent of Trading Standards in this country to police such sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I bought one in Sm*ths at the weekend (with CE Mark) it fell apart within the hour but they refunded me without question. I think the circle parts are supposed to clip out but some are so loose they fall out by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

They have them at the counter at EuroGiant for €3. Son has been really happy with it and it seems quality enough for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Yer man in the Bon Bon has really fancy ones for €30... my kids got the basic models.

I have to admit i had a go after they went to bed.... oddly addictive.

holly8 wrote: »
    Oh sure I know ... I just want to feel better ... Don't Get Mad, Get Even!!!
    They told me to call Joe Duffy LOL:D
    Stand beside them telling everyone their selling shyte, they can't stop you doing that.
    I bought one in Sm*ths at the weekend (with CE Mark) it fell apart within the hour but they refunded me without question. I think the circle parts are supposed to clip out but some are so loose they fall out by mistake.
    The thing about stuff from China is that a percentage of it, sometimes a third of it can be junk. We've ordered stuff from China at my place of work, you can throw aside the obviously broken stuff, they must have absolutely no quality control. It's often still so much cheaper you can accept that loss along with replacing another 10% of ones that make it through to the customers.

I'd say most places are selling the cheapest ones they can find. Smyths shouldn't be selling stuff that's not fit for the European market but it's a fad.

As far as I can see the fidget spinner is just a device for holding cheap bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

"I'd say most places are selling the cheapest ones they can find. Smyths shouldn't be selling stuff that's not fit for the European market but it's a fad."

Smyth's ones DO have a CE mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

What the heck is the fascination with these yokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stand beside them telling everyone their selling shyte, they can't stop you doing that.

I thinl think they probably do have trchniques for people who do that.

• Advertisement

Psychlops wrote: »
    What the heck is the fascination with these yokes?
    All the cool kids are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

"I'd say most places are selling the cheapest ones they can find. Smyths shouldn't be selling stuff that's not fit for the European market but it's a fad."

Smyth's ones DO have a CE mark.

http://siloscordoba.com/2013/07/09/china-export-is-not-ce-a-symbol-to-cause-confusion/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I feel the one's sold outside of Aldi westside maybe of similar quality as the ones in the square.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Idiots buy these.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Its all about the fidget cubes now, fads fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Your Face wrote: »
    Idiots buy these.

Nice one berating children who want a popular, affordable toy. Now all you have to do is descend from your loom band tower to hoard them all for yourself. Well played, sir. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

i'm shocked that a mod can give such stupid advice, the poster might well at best case get a fat lip and worse case who knows, it depends on how desperate and capable the fidget spinner seller guys are, and another thing, if they're any good the retribution for trying to out them for selling crap won't come from them either

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ScumLord is not a mod in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

There's plenty of well known shops selling the versions with no CE mark on them either. I don't think we have any equivalent of Trading Standards in this country to police such sales.

Owner operated pound shops are full of dangerous junk, especially on the electrical side.

There doesn't seem to be much regulation in his area

Nothing to stop unscrupulous manufacturers putting a CE stamp on whatever they like either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

They're supoosed to break apart on impact, and put together afterwards. Thats probablu what stops them cracking completley.

I got one for 10€ two weeks ago still working.

• Advertisement

pure.conya wrote: »
    i'm shocked that a mod can give such stupid advice, the poster might well at best case get a fat lip and worse case who knows,
    They might get their money back.. I don't think even the sellers of fidget spiners are going to assault people in front of all that CCTV.
    Owner operated pound shops are full of dangerous junk, especially on the electrical side.

There doesn't seem to be much regulation in his area

Nothing to stop unscrupulous manufacturers putting a CE stamp on whatever they like either
    There is. You won't find too many European companies at it. A lot of products don't need CE marking the only reason these do is because they are considered a toy.

It's also pretty easy and straightforward to get CE marking. It's mostly just paperwork. There's no ongoing testing or monitoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Saw a stack of these at the counter in homestore + more for a few euro and picked one up to see what all the craic was. It spun a few times then came to a stop :confused:.

Pulled it apart, re-aligned the center bit to stop it rubbing, peeled off loose plastic trim and it spins for a couple of minutes now - QA on these seem to be very poor. It's not protected so there are loads of Chinese manufacturing facilities churning these out.

The inventor isn't making any money off them, as she couldn't afford to renew the patent...
    "Hettinger held the patent on finger spinners for eight years, but surrendered it in 2005 because she could not afford the $400 (£310) renewal fee."

I wonder how many shops are going to be stung when massive back-orders of these arrive from China and the fad has moved on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Not clear to me where exactly they were bought. But if you start shouting in a public place, the sellers (or any member of the public ) could ask Garda to assist in a disorderly conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

pure.conya wrote: »
    i'm shocked that a mod can give such stupid advice, the poster might well at best case get a fat lip and worse case who knows, it depends on how desperate and capable the fidget spinner seller guys are, and another thing, if they're any good the retribution for trying to out them for selling crap won't come from them either

Nothing wrong with that advice. Not enough people speak up. I have a sneaking suspicion that advising you if you were there buying one would be a waste of time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

bobbyss wrote: »
    Not clear to me where exactly they were bought. But if you start shouting in a public place, the sellers (or any member of the public ) could ask Garda to assist in a disorderly conduct.

No one said anything about shouting. It can be done in an assertive courteous way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

phelant wrote:
    No one said anything about shouting. It can be done in an assertive courteous way.

An assertive courteous way would be perfect. But If I was selling these things with someone standing beside me in a public place telling potential customers they were 'shyte' I'm not really sure what I would do. Maybe call the Gardai and complain about offensive language being used probably in the presence of kids.

I would feel very harassed as well. It may stop me from selling them. I might feel my reputation impinged.

I might just head to my solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nice one berating children who want a popular, affordable toy. Now all you have to do is descend from your loom band tower to hoard them all for yourself. Well played, sir. Well played.

#justicefortheberated

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Bhahahahahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

phelant wrote: »

I did hang around for a bit to see if there was any potential customers I could dissuade from purchasing ... there wasn't.

Advertisement