Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to tell landlord about going overseas?

Options
  • 23-05-2017 3:22pm

Is there an obligation to inform a landlord/letting agent that I will be spending most of the year overseas?
    I will be paying rent, & there will still be a full time tenant in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

No, once the house isn't being left empty, you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

wench wrote: »
    No, once the house isn't being left empty, you're fine.

Is there an onus on the tenant to keep it occupied? Didn't know that. It might invalidate the tenants contents insurance if it's left empty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

The landlord's building insurance could also be affected

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

emeldc wrote: »
    It might invalidate the tenants contents insurance if it's left empty though.
    wench wrote: »
    The landlord's building insurance could also be affected

OP stated:
    bubblypop wrote: »
    there will still be a full time tenant in the house.

OP, other than as a courtesy I don't see why you'd need to say anything to the landlord.

Might be worth the heads up just in case there's a need to contact you about something. I'd leave it as an "I won't be around very much".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

there will still be a full time tenant in the house.

My bad, read that bit wrong :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

emeldc wrote: »
    Is there an onus on the tenant to keep it occupied? Didn't know that. It might invalidate the tenants contents insurance if it's left empty though.

Most leases have a clause saying that if the house will be empty for more than 30 days, you have to notify the LL. This is because they have to notify their insurance.

Not an issue in this case, though.

Advertisement