Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb stick stopped working

Options
  • 23-05-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG PLACE!!!
    hi, i need some urgent help.
    My USB memory stick has stopped working - i found some free programmes and l have managed to find the files. Can someone please help me and show mr if possible how i can recover the files as there is a lot of work on the stick!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The one I usually recommend is Recuva.

Point the program to your key and let it run.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19eighty4

is there a charge for it?
    i downloaded some free versions. they showed info and then your smacked with a huge charge.
    i dont mind having to pay something but a couple of hundred quid is frustrating!

19eighty4 wrote: »
    is there a charge for it?
    i downloaded some free versions. they showed info and then your smacked with a huge charge.
    i dont mind having to pay something but a couple of hundred quid is frustrating!

Nope it's free (there is a pro version of it though) and should be enough to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19eighty4

great thank you ... next question, its showing some files as " .TMP " - how can i view these?
    l'm sorry in advance - the only bits i know is from googling and complete trial and error although it more error 9 times out of 10

19eighty4 wrote: »
    great thank you ... next question, its showing some files as " .TMP " - how can i view these?
    l'm sorry in advance - the only bits i know is from googling and complete trial and error although it more error 9 times out of 10

When you open (eg) a word file it creates a temporary file.

More about those here...

http://file.org/extension/tmp
    What is a TMP file?

TMP files are temporary files that are created to temporarily hold data on your computer while you are using a specific software application. These files are created by a number of computer programs, usually when the program that you are running is unable to allocate enough memory for the task that it is working on.

Although temporary files are supposed to be automatically deleted after serving their purpose, this does not always happen as it should. Because temporary files can contain critical application data, it is not a good idea to remove them manually unless you know for sure that the information within the .tmp file is no longer needed. If you do know for certain that the information is no longer necessary, it is usually safe to delete the no-longer-needed TMP file.

• Advertisement
Advertisement