Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Application Form 2017

• 23-05-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi!
    I was wondering, for the application, we're asked to write the address at which we resided during every period of employment or study.

Do they mean the official address of residence (the one you have on your ID, put simply), or also any address at which you stayed for a short period, excluding holiday destinations, of course?

For instance, I lived abroad (still within the EU) for a few months some years ago while on Erasmus, but I didn't register that address officially.
    Or other times, I stayed for short periods (like one month) in other regions of my residence country, for some internships.

Should I always write my official address or can I fill the boxes with the actual addresses I lived at, even if for a short time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Oruam wrote: »
    Hi!
    I was wondering, for the application, we're asked to write the address at which we resided during every period of employment or study.

Do they mean the official address of residence (the one you have on your ID, put simply), or also any address at which you stayed for a short period, excluding holiday destinations, of course?

For instance, I lived abroad (still within the EU) for a few months some years ago while on Erasmus, but I didn't register that address officially.
    Or other times, I stayed for short periods (like one month) in other regions of my residence country, for some internships.

Should I always write my official address or can I fill the boxes with the actual addresses I lived at, even if for a short time?

Fill it out in its entirety, include every address.
    Omission can lead to your application being scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

Thanks!

I completed my application today, but I've noticed a grammar mistake on my form. Does anyone know if it's still possible to upload it again before the deadline (that is tomorrow, btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭diddlybo

I completed my application today, but I've noticed a grammar mistake on my form. Does anyone know if it's still possible to upload it again before the deadline (that is tomorrow, btw)

Yeah you can upload a changed application form.

diddlybo wrote: »
    Yeah you can upload a changed application form.

Done it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Anyone any idea how many applications were submitted for this new recruitment campaign, I no the last campaign, I think it was Sept 2016, there was only 5000 applications submitted but I cant find anything for this one, maybe it's too soon, if someone sees anything could you let me no. Thanks in advance. I'm serious to see how many applied this time.

vardy98 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how many applications were submitted for this new recruitment campaign, I no the last campaign, I think it was Sept 2016, there was only 5000 applications submitted but I cant find anything for this one, maybe it's too soon, if someone sees anything could you let me no. Thanks in advance. I'm serious to see how many applied this time.

I'd like to know the number too. Where did you find it the last year?

Oruam wrote:

Oruam wrote:

I looked it up on Google and it was on a newspaper sight or somthing like that, but I can't find anything for this campaign unfortunately.

I looked it up on Google and it was on a newspaper sight or somthing like that, but I can't find anything for this campaign unfortunately.

Maybe it's too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

I reckon we'll know by the end of the month. It was around the start of October that they said how many had applied for the September campaign, so maybe in the next couple of weeks? I think it will probably be lower for this campaign.

• Advertisement

Yoop_ wrote:
    I reckon we'll know by the end of the month. It was around the start of October that they said how many had applied for the September campaign, so maybe in the next couple of weeks? I think it will probably be lower for this campaign.

I'd say your right, it is probably a bit early yet to say, I would agree I think it would be less again in this campaign at a guess but I am really interested to see what it is. Hopfully it will come up somewhere soon.

Yoop_ wrote:

I'd say your right, it is probably a bit early yet to say, I would agree I think it would be less again in this campaign at a guess but I am really interested to see what it is. Hopfully it will come up somewhere soon.

What makes you think that there are fewer candidates this year?

It's just a guess based on, when the recruitment started back in 2013 over 24,000 people applied, the next campaign in December 2015 over 16,500 people applied and then the last campaign in September 2016 only 5,000 people applied. I am unley following the pattern of what I researched and it seems to be going down each time, but that's not to say it will go up again it could but I'm only guessing. I found these figures online.

It's just a guess based on, when the recruitment started back in 2013 over 24,000 people applied, the next campaign in December 2015 over 16,500 people applied and then the last campaign in September 2016 only 5,000 people applied. I am unley following the pattern of what I researched and it seems to be going down each time, but that's not to say it will go up again it could but I'm only guessing. I found these figures online.

Let's hope so! The fewer, the better.

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about the abstract reasoning test. I hoped we would have been given some mock tests, as for the Army Cadetship competition, but nothing, so far

Oruam wrote:
    Let's hope so! The fewer, the better.

Oruam wrote:
    Anyway, I'm a bit worried about the abstract reasoning test. I hoped we would have been given some mock tests, as for the Army Cadetship competition, but nothing, so far

Exactly the fewer the better is right, the less that apply the better chance we have Hopfully, I'm the same I'm not very good at the aptitude tests, but Hopfully all goes well. Fingers crossed.

Exactly the fewer the better is right, the less that apply the better chance we have Hopfully, I'm the same I'm not very good at the aptitude tests, but Hopfully all goes well. Fingers crossed.

The aptitude test for the Cadetship wasn't difficult, but I couldn't answer all the questions, and nonetheless I've passed (although I tried it only to see how it was).
    So I hope that An Garda's one is similar to that, and not like the ones I've seen on several websites (not related to Garda careers): those are impossible, for the most part!

Oh well let's hope the aptitude tests are not too difficult then, is the abstract reasoning the tests with the shapes and sequences? I am OK with that I think the one I hate is the paragraphs and finding the answers.

Oh well let's hope the aptitude tests are not too difficult then, is the abstract reasoning the tests with the shapes and sequences? I am OK with that I think the one I hate is the paragraphs and finding the answers.

Exactly, the abstract involves shapes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

You can find a few free practice tests online. If you Google 'abstract reasoning tests' there's a good few websites with free versions, and many of them have the verbal reasoning tests as well. They're all pretty much the same as the ones we'll have for Stage 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 patrickcat

hay people,

Anybody know what the story is with the irish test at stage3 i think? I will be fxxxxed anyway haven't looked at a word of it since i was in school 2009,

• Advertisement

patrickcat wrote: »
    hay people,

Anybody know what the story is with the irish test at stage3 i think? I will be fxxxxed anyway haven't looked at a word of it since i was in school 2009,

Sorry, where did you read that the language test is an Irish test?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

patrickcat wrote: »
    hay people,

The Irish test at Stage 3 only applies if you are applying through the fluency in the Irish Language Stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

The Irish test at Stage 3 only applies if you are applying through the fluency in the Irish Language Stream.

No it also applies to those who do not meet the minimum entry requirements in ordinary level leaving certificate. So if someone has done foundation irish in the leaving cert, they can avail of the exam with public jobs too

ALTHEPAL wrote: »
    No it also applies to those who do not meet the minimum entry requirements in ordinary level leaving certificate. So if someone has done foundation irish in the leaving cert, they can avail of the exam with public jobs too

And what about those who already meet the language requirements? Do they have to take some other language test?

And what about those who already meet the language requirements? Do they have to take some other language test?

No your fine once you meet the entry requirements

ALTHEPAL wrote: »
    No your fine once you meet the entry requirements

Brilliant!
    Thanks pal

Brilliant!
    Thanks pal

No worries mate good luck

So Stage 2 will be only Job simulation and report writing exercises, if I got it correctly. And Stage 3 will be the interview, while stage 4 the physical assessment and the medical examination. Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mooju

does anybody know if there is a way of seeing our initial application form we filled out at the start?? I never thought to make a copy and cant even remember the questions asked on it.
    Anybody know where we could see a sample one or even let me know what was asked on it if you saved a copy yourself. Thanks

• Advertisement

mooju wrote:
    does anybody know if there is a way of seeing our initial application form we filled out at the start?? I never thought to make a copy and cant even remember the questions asked on it. Anybody know where we could see a sample one or even let me know what was asked on it if you saved a copy yourself. Thanks

If you log into your public jobs account. Look at your "applications". You'll see it in there :-)

Once again Mr Black to the rescue. Thanks a million :D

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    If you log into your public jobs account. Look at your "applications". You'll see it in there :-)
    Was this the only application form we filled out? I thought there was more to the form we filled out for interview purposes at the beginning??
    Could be wrong but thought I definitely put work related information in some form

Never mind couldnt open it in chrome, worked perfectly in explorer. thanks again

A quick question.
    For those who have been through the process and those currently doing out their form B. Are/have you just given the referees contact details or are you also getting a written reference? Is there any advantage of doing this other than speeding along the vetting process if successful??

mooju wrote: »
    A quick question.
    For those who have been through the process and those currently doing out their form B. Are/have you just given the referees contact details or are you also getting a written reference? Is there any advantage of doing this other than speeding along the vetting process if successful??

My input is that some people include written references, I personally did not.

The only time they were contacted were by the local sergeant who gave them a brief phone call asking about me. These calls were made within 2 hours of me meeting with the local sergeant.

TBH even if you provided a written reference id still say that your references will be called regardless so there's probably no point in my personal opinion.

• Advertisement

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    My input is that some people include written references, I personally did not.

The only time they were contacted were by the local sergeant who gave them a brief phone call asking about me. These calls were made within 2 hours of me meeting with the local sergeant.

TBH even if you provided a written reference id still say that your references will be called regardless so there's probably no point in my personal opinion.
    Is it just the references contacted or all previous employers??

mooju wrote:
    Is it just the references contacted or all previous employers??

Just references in my case anyways.

Advertisement