Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin 15 steadily moving socially upwards?

Options
  • 23-05-2017 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Was dropping a friend home and got lost in Corduff. Despite being from d15 never been there in my life.

Anyway I needed to get a small amount of groceries and spotted the Centra so thought I might pop in. Lots of kids hanging round with takeaways etc. But when I went in....

An entire shelf full of whole pineapples and another of avocados plus some ****ake mushrooms. (Won't let me type real name)

I wouldn't have been surprised to see elsewhere but I was a bit surprised in Corduff!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

amtc wrote: »
    Was dropping a friend home and got lost in Corduff. Despite being from d15 never been there in my life.

Anyway I needed to get a small amount of groceries and spotted the Centra so thought I might pop in. Lots of kids hanging round with takeaways etc. But when I went in....

An entire shelf full of whole pineapples and another of avocados plus some ****ake mushrooms. (Won't let me type real name)

I wouldn't have been surprised to see elsewhere but I was a bit surprised in Corduff!

Why? Us working class folk like our fresh fruit and veg too, we don't live on chipper and breakfast rolls :)

I would say its also due to the cultural breakdown of the area, when you have a lot of people from other cultures with their own style of cooking that is rich in that kind of food you will start to see it on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Sorry didn't mean to sound insulting...i do most of my food shopping in Tesco or Supervalu...I just wondered how many people in Corduff would have need for an entire shelf of quite exotic ingredients. Funny I was also looking for trashy magazines and they also had Irish Tatler and Vogue which I've never seen round here (I only live across the road in Waterville).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

Sorry didn't mean to sound insulting...i do most of my food shopping in Tesco or Supervalu...I just wondered how many people in Corduff would have need for an entire shelf of quite exotic ingredients. Funny I was also looking for trashy magazines and they also had Irish Tatler and Vogue which I've never seen round here (I only live across the road in Waterville).

There's a fair amount of foreigners living up around there, I'm guessing that's why they stock some "exotic" ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Yeah but Lidi is within walking distance and where I live would have more non nationals judging by whom I see in my Spar. Anyway, not a bad shop and a handy atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

Probably just trying to compete on that front maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

I think there is no doubt that D15 is improving. The tech companies around meant that the area had some better resilience against the recession and since the decline of the 'Westies' there has not been much high level gangland crime in the area. There are very few high crime areas Dublin 15 however unfortunately when something does happen anywhere within D15 it is inevitably reported as being in Blanchardstown even though it is usually not in Blanch at all. Blanchardstown is only a small part of Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

hello , its all part of blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

But the tone is a little patronising, No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

The OP has over 1,000 posts and comes out with this post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

418582.JPG

Of course it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not that I know where that is, but you're using one bit of mindless vandalism to paint a massive area. I can drag out similar news articles and pictures from places like Foxrock and Blackrock too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

dodzy wrote: »
    Of course it is.

An out of context single image like that adds nothing to the converation though does it?
    This is a photo from Castleknock, but does it epitomise or speak for the entire area? I think not.
    Like all areas D15 has peaks & troughs in terms of improving/regressing and since its such a large & diverse area I dont think we could ever answer the op with a simple yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not that I know where that is, but you're using one bit of mindless vandalism to paint a massive area. I can drag out similar news articles and pictures from places like Foxrock and Blackrock too.
    Gaspode wrote: »
    An out of context single image like that adds nothing to the converation though does it?
    This is a photo from Castleknock, but does it epitomise or speak for the entire area? I think not.
    Like all areas D15 has peaks & troughs in terms of improving/regressing and since its such a large & diverse area I dont think we could ever answer the op with a simple yes or no.

Ah Jasus lads come on, I forgot the smiley face. I love it out here. Resident since '93.

It's the old Tesco at the back of the Shanty BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

D15 has become such a massive employment location with all those IT and pharma industries up in Ballycoolin and Damastown combined with the 1000s employed in and around the Blanchardstown shopping centre. None of this was really there prior to the mid 1990s which meant the area was an unemployment blackspot with large tracts of council housing which I think sometimes carries the notion that D15 is still a bit rough...or not posh enough for avocado!.  Most new builds in the area in the last 20 years have been private housing creating fairly lower middle to middle class style neighbourhoods (Little Pace, Castaheany, Carpenterstown, Clonsilla, Porterstown, Barnwell, Hansfield) with most households having at least one income.  This all contributes to higher disposable incomes and other traits of strong purchasing power (new cars or second cars, conservatories, houses and lawns/landscaping being well maintained), more eating/drinking/leisure/entertainment options in D15 etc.   I wouldn't view D15 as a dodgier post code of Dublin at all really.  Of course you can find rough neighbourhoods in there but you can find them in Dublin 2 and 4 too.

Advertisement