Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

Options
  • 23-05-2017 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I would like some help. I am a 6th year student and I cant make up my mind about becoming a paramedic or becoming a doctor, if I do become a doctor I would like to be a GP with an interest in pre-hospital care. Would like to know if it is possible for a GP to he involved in pre-hospital care and how I can go about it. Also if anyone here can give me an honest opinion on what it is like to be a doctor here in ireland it would be very much appreciated
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I presume by prehospital care you mean in emergencies. GP technically operate as prehospital care as they see lots of people who go on to attend hospital.

Some rural GPs are trained to administer pre-hospital care - in Donegal they can give clot busting drugs to people with heart attacks as they wait for ambulances.

However, they also have a day job which is being a GP. If you want to do prehospital care then be a paramedic/advanced paramedic. Some doctors get involved in organising and promoting prehospital care but these guys are 20+ years in the game and are experienced.

Being a doctor....

Pros:
    You will sometimes cure people
    You will have a pension (if you work in hospitals)
    You will have a regular wage
    Your wage is a bit more than most people get
    You'll challenge your brain and processing skills
    You'll develop people skills
    You will occasionally be thanked

Cons:
    You will sometimes fail
    You will sometimes not cure people
    You will feel you are not adequately paid in relation to the pressure and risks of the job
    You will be blamed for the system which is not your fault
    You will often be abused verbally and occasionally physically

There are easier ways to make money. There are easier ways to help people.

Advertisement