Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for seeing a counsellor

• 23-05-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hello i hope this is the right section to post this. Im hoping people might be able to recommend a counselor or therapist to see in relation to social anxiety issues and for anger management.

I just visited my GP today and they told me they no longer refer people to counselors due to the fact that certain situations call for a certain type of counselor and that i would be better off finding one for myself.

Ive been having issues lately dealing with some social anxiety and its having an effect on my relationship. I get paranoid when im out with my partner and end up getting angry and ruining the night for both of us. And i would really like to find someone who i can talk through these issues with as i dont know how to deal with them myself.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If you tell us where you are based, we can get you names of people near by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Im based in south Dublin, in Terenure

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I have the number of a place in Celbridge. It might be a bit far for you, it's about 40 mins from my house, and I found it very good. My doctor recommended it to me.

beertons wrote: »
    I have the number of a place in Celbridge. It might be a bit far for you, it's about 40 mins from my house, and I found it very good. My doctor recommended it to me.

Thank you but that might be a bit too far out of the way for me. Thank you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

That's too far. One of the things about counselling from what I've been told is that you can feel very tired after it so commuting would be a pain. I think the professional association is the iacp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

amtc wrote: »
    That's too far. One of the things about counselling from what I've been told is that you can feel very tired after it so commuting would be a pain. I think the professional association is the iacp.

Yep, google IACP and have a look at the counsellors in your area. They are all registered and it will give a break down of their area of expertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I used Awakenings in Dodder Park Rathfarnham seven or eight years ago for some of the same issues. Very happy with them.

Kalimah wrote: »
    I used Awakenings in Dodder Park Rathfarnham seven or eight years ago for some of the same issues. Very happy with them.

Thank you im just looking at their site now. They are very close to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭ahnow

Hi OP,

There's different styles of counselling, it might be worth your while to read up on them before picking a place to go, so you could find someone that would suit your needs. CBT is good for tackling symptoms, so if your social anxiety is a problem it would help break it down so that it would be less of a problem, but they wont go into any of your personal history in great depth, so if there's an underlying problem that wonf really be tackled. Psychotherapy is where you would go into getting into a more long term type of counselling. It really depends on what you're looking for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Just to add, please do not be discouraged by price. All councillors have reduced rates for people who cannot afford the 80 euro or whatever the fee is .

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055169338

I hope that this link helps.
    Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I go to the LittleJohn Centre in Walkinstown and they have some excellent counsellors there. Also my counsellor gave me a reduced rate which was so kind. She also emails me with helpful advice in between sessions which she isn't obliged to do but it's because we get on so well. Make sure you get on good with your counsellor because if you don't like them you won't want to go! Take care.

Advertisement