Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd skylight question

• 23-05-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

I can't think where else to ask this as any googling obviously comes back with 400pages of Velux standards.

I have an old building, whose upstairs rooms all need more light. The roofline effectively comes down into the rooms, meaning there is a wall > slope > ceiling rather than a flat 90 degree angle.
    . /
    . /______________
    . /
    . /
    . /
    . |
    . |
    . |

If that makes any sense. A normal skylight either involves cutting across rafters to fit in a large window (expensive), or accepting whatever small window fits between them.

What I was wondering is whether it would be possible to glaze across the rafters, in the angle between the wall and the current ceiling line. One long, maybe half-metre to 1 metre wide strip of glazing sitting on top of the rafters, which would eliminate the need for cutting and structural reinforcement, but would hopefully bring a lot more light into those rooms.

Does this sound possible? Would the cost of having glazing made to size outweigh the building costs of the "standard" way of doing things?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I can't think where else to ask this as any googling obviously comes back with 400pages of Velux standards.

I have an old building, whose upstairs rooms all need more light. The roofline effectively comes down into the rooms, meaning there is a wall > slope > ceiling rather than a flat 90 degree angle.
    . /
    . /______________
    . /
    . /
    . /
    . |
    . |
    . |

If that makes any sense. A normal skylight either involves cutting across rafters to fit in a large window (expensive), or accepting whatever small window fits between them.

What I was wondering is whether it would be possible to glaze across the rafters, in the angle between the wall and the current ceiling line. One long, maybe half-metre to 1 metre wide strip of glazing sitting on top of the rafters, which would eliminate the need for cutting and structural reinforcement, but would hopefully bring a lot more light into those rooms.

Does this sound possible? Would the cost of having glazing made to size outweigh the building costs of the "standard" way of doing things?

Possible.
    Structural considerations.
    Planning required if to the front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

It sounds like too much trouble. Stick with Keylite / Velux type window they are straightforward for a builder to fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What about the cost comparisons for knocking a window in the external wall? I would assume the cost for breaking out a new window in a 30's solid packed-concrete wall would be significantly higher than either skylights or this solution.

Advertisement