Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod instructions.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Constant closing and opening threads will kill them stone dead imo.

TBH - if a thread is descending down the road of needing a mod warning, then something that disrupts that flow is no harm.

In the medium term I'd say it probably lends itself to the thread surviving longer tbh.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

I like the idea of giving everyone a temporary breather to take in the mod note. Means that everyone has a chance to take note of it (and avoids subsequent infractions / arguments escalating over a post that missed the note) and posters can take a moment to compose themselves and their thoughts. Hopefully something like that would mean fewer threads being closed for longer at a later date as problems get nipped in the bud sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Happened to me too, I am still cross about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Not everyone reads all posts in a thread, especially not a fast moving one, so in a thread like the Manchester one, posting something like "MOD WARNING POST 4567" I'm actually not going to rummage through a thread, clicking forward and back here and there, when the thread has 8794 messages, and all I want to do is skip to the last page and start from there.

There's usually a link to the relevant post in the OP, no? No rummaging required!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Still think it's an idea which isn't going to improve anything, will result in just as much, or in fact more work for mods on thread. And those posters that probably aren't that invested in the thread, and less likely to bother waiting the 20 minutes to go back, are also the ones less likely to be causing trouble in the first place.

We'll see though, maybe it'll work.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I like the idea of giving everyone a temporary breather to take in the mod note. Means that everyone has a chance to take note of it (and avoids subsequent infractions / arguments escalating over a post that missed the note) and posters can take a moment to compose themselves and their thoughts. Hopefully something like that would mean fewer threads being closed for longer at a later date as problems get nipped in the bud sooner.
    It would be a right pain in the arse for the 90% of users who are trying to have a discussion. Mod the reported post (if they warrant it) rather than the entire thread.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One of the issues is when you've typed a long reply and click to submit, and then lose the entire post due to the thread having been locked

Obviously some threads already get locked for review and sometimes to allow posters to cool down a bit, but I'm not sure it should be used as a matter of routine (we'll probably end up with numerous Feedback threads complaining about mods temporarily locking threads)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,480 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If someone comments after a mod warning how about a 15 minutes or so window when they will just get a 'see mod warning' note - unless they specifically reference the warning showing that they have in fact seen it. This at least allows for people who were half way through posting when the warning was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,065 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

most web browsers and situations will save the post when you go back though.

And at the end of the day you're still potentially talking about frustrating a user who could very well have been posting "Well you're a dick **** you and here are all the reasons why I am mad at you," if the thread is at a point it needs locking.

Advertisement