Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human ashes to England

Options
  • 23-05-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, does anybody know of any companies that will transport ashes from Cork to Essex in England? I want to get a piece of jewellery made from my late father's ashes but I'm having trouble shipping the ashes because the post office won't send & a few couriers won't either due to insurance reasons. Its only a spoonful of ashes. An post told me if I post it, it will be scanned & destroyed. Thanks. Really hope someone can help. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

never knew this could be an issue....

you learn something everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 28 juno85

It's ridiculous & heartbreaking as I've been saving a year & a half to get this ring made.

I can imagine, have you called some undertakers ? they might know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I hope I don't sound insensitive but it seems aerlingus will allow you check or carry an urn of ashes between Ireland and London Heathrow or Gatwick? Maybe this would be a suitable option if you could take a day to travel over? Also, my condolences.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/special-items/

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

You'll need a letter from the undertakers/crematorium to say what you are carrying.

Have you emailed the company making the ring and get their advice. It might be more common than you think.

• Advertisement

Will be contacting undertakers tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Any local truck companies heading over? 20 quid in the drivers arse pocket and he might be of help to you?

I have mailed company on Facebook awhile ago, they said they have many Irish customers and they just post ashes. I was stopped straight away yesterday & they refused to take them, the label says "ashes into glass" thank you all who have replied. I don't know what I'm going to do. Apparently you can't even send makeup to England from Ireland in post office. ��

Mfceiling good idea about trucks, i'll ask around. ������

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Are you in a rush to send them over?
    If not look up Ryanair flights to stanstead and Gatwick. You'll surely find a day return flight for less than €50 over the next 6/8 weeks. Fly over, drop them off, stroll round London and come back that night. Bring a friend and make a proper day of it. You can carry them in hand luggage.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Are you in a rush to send them over?
    If not look up Ryanair flights to stanstead and Gatwick. You'll surely find a day return flight for less than €50 over the next 6/8 weeks. Fly over, drop them off, stroll round London and come back that night. Bring a friend and make a proper day of it. You can carry them in hand luggage.

Ya, was looking up flights & that awhile ago, wasn't too expensive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Juno
    Sympathy and wishing you success.

Tom44 wrote: »
    Juno
    Sympathy and wishing you success.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

juno85 wrote: »
    Thank you.

I would think the Ferry is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Why won't anybody handle ashes? What does "insurance reasons" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Why won't anybody handle ashes? What does "insurance reasons" mean?

Just a guess but maybe its cos if anything happens you cant put a price on their value, a cash payout is no good if they can't be replaced if lost.
    Its very rare that a package is lost but it does happen.

Just wondering if you got sorted in the end, and what route you took ?

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you got sorted in the end, and what route you took ?

Hi, sorry for late reply. It was all sorted in the end. I just posted it but just used address without the company name on envelope. I have my ring now. :)

Advertisement