Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine failure 1.6 hdi active Peugeot 3008

Options
  • 24-05-2017 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

engine Failure 1.6 hdi active
    Wife has 2012 3008 approx 85000 miles . New injectors were fitted on advice from Peugeot dealer . Whist completing this job they advised that new timing belt was required which was covered by Peugeot as recall issue . Water pump was also recommended and fitted and car fully serviced.
    2k km later and the engine overheated on motorway and had to be towed off. Head gasket gone and split in engine block . There was a sound of liquid moving from engine area at start up but no prior Warning lights on computer display.

Can any one suggest probable cause of failure. I have searched web and found very little evidence of problems with this engine in terms of head gasket or complete failure. Same engine used in ford focus volvo mazda etc
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

An auld airlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wexsean

Yes that seems to come up on other posts
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Its standard practice to change the water pump along with a timing belt, but with the pump you have to make sure that it sealed fully when bolted back onto the engine block and then refill the complete cooling system by letting it run for a little while with the expansion bottle opened to keep topping up the coolant as the air escapes. Then once up to temp leave running for 20 mins to check for leaks

However, 2k km later indicates a small coolant leak, did the dash alarm at all?

There was apparently no indication on dash except of course the stop sign . There was however the noise of liquid moving or as others describe gurgling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Was the coolant level checked at all since the water pump was replaced? The dealer should have recommended this as there's always a chance of an airlock or small leak or whatever. I wouldn't rely on sensors/lights for things like this.

• Advertisement

No is straight answer. My wife is non technical and the dealer did not recommend this action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

bring it back to peugeot dealer and let them sort it
    surely theres a warranty on water pump and timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I would say it is extremely unlikely that the two evens are unrelated. I'd politely asked to have the things fixed.

If that does not help, there are other options to consider - but it is not there yet.

@mossy the peugeot dealer has denied any responsibility so we are exploring other avenues .

Legal route - SIMI complaint
    Peugeot Customer Care

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

wexsean wrote: »
    engine Failure 1.6 hdi active
    Wife has 2012 3008 approx 85000 miles . New injectors were fitted on advice from Peugeot dealer . Whist completing this job they advised that new timing belt was required which was covered by Peugeot as recall issue . Water pump was also recommended and fitted and car fully serviced.
    2k km later and the engine overheated on motorway and had to be towed off. Head gasket gone and split in engine block . There was a sound of liquid moving from engine area at start up but no prior Warning lights on computer display.

Can any one suggest probable cause of failure. I have searched web and found very little evidence of problems with this engine in terms of head gasket or complete failure. Same engine used in ford focus volvo mazda etc

I'm curious, there was a sound of liquid in the engine bay on startup. Ant them you took the car onto the motorway??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

well the way i see it is the garage were the last people at it SALE OF GOODS ACT fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

wexsean wrote: »
    @mossy the peugeot dealer has denied any responsibility so we are exploring other avenues .

Legal route - SIMI complaint
    Peugeot Customer Care

OP, did the car honestly give no forewarning of this? Did the temp needle raise above the normal position, was there no warning symbols or messages on the dash board for low coolant etc or telltale sounds or feelings from the engine, loss of power etc.

I'm not saying what happened to you didn't happen but it's hard to believe the car went from driving perfect to cracked engine block in an instant with no user warning.

Obviously if there was absolutely no forewarning whatsoever, I'd speak to the garage again and make them aware that they done some intrusive work on your cooling system a fortnight ago and now your engine is critically damaged from overheating.

If you have ignored some warnings however, you may be on your own and the best you can hope for is to strike a deal regarding repair costs with the garage. Yes the garage should have performed the work correctly, but if you notice something amiss, that doesn't excuse you and allow you to turn a blind eye.

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm curious, there was a sound of liquid in the engine bay on startup. Ant them you took the car onto the motorway??

Neither I or wife are mechanical there was no warning light on dash at start up however when STOP warning came on the oil temp gauge had risen.

i was also curious about noise but was not expecting the ensuing catastrophe

OP, did the car honestly give no forewarning of this? Did the temp needle raise above the normal position, was there no warning symbols or messages on the dash board for low coolant etc or telltale sounds or feelings from the engine, loss of power etc.

I'm not saying what happened to you didn't happen but it's hard to believe the car went from driving perfect to cracked engine block in an instant with no user warning.

Obviously if there was absolutely no forewarning whatsoever, I'd speak to the garage again and make them aware that they done some intrusive work on your cooling system a fortnight ago and now your engine is critically damaged from overheating.

If you have ignored some warnings however, you may be on your own and the best you can hope for is to strike a deal regarding repair costs with the garage. Yes the garage should have performed the work correctly, but if you notice something amiss, that doesn't excuse you and allow you to turn a blind eye.

there was the liquid movement sound but no forewarning on dash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Don't bother with simi, they are just a lobby group

mullingar wrote: »
    Don't bother with simi, they are just a lobby group
    Judging by previous posts on this subject ie SIMI complaint it is all one sided thanks for heads up

Advertisement