Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie looking for advice.

Options
  • 24-05-2017 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hello boards I Am considering applying for a firearms licence for a Ruger 10/22 Semi Auto Rimfire Rifle. This will be the first firearm I have ever applied for so I Am wondering is a semi auto rifle a little bit too much to ask for. I live in a rural area and have got verbal permission off 3 local farms to use there land for shooting/hunting. I have also got a legal safe (I have yet to install it).

My other half's father is a firearms owner and it was him who introduced me to shooting and hunting. He is also one Of The land owners who will give me permission. But he has never been a member of a gun club as shooting has mainly been for pest control on the farm for him.

I was wondering if any body could offer advice on:
    * is this a rifle too much to ask for as a first time licence.
    *recommend some where to do a shotgun safety course/is there any point if applying for a rifle?
    *a gunclub to join to the wicklow/dublin area?
    *a gun dealer to buy the rifle from? (I Am not just looking for the cheapest dealer I would like to shop in a store with good customer service and advice.)
    *would this rifle be suited for small game hunting and target shooting?

Also I don't know if it makes any odds but I Am a 24 year old male with no criminal record and no history of mental illness.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I was wondering if any body could offer advice on:
    * is this a rifle too much to ask for as a first time licence.

Nope. It's a single,unrestricted firearm. Nothing more than that.
    *recommend some where to do a shotgun safety course/is there any point if applying for a rifle?

Gun safety is gun safety - there are some nuances between the various types of firearms, but the fundamentals remain the same. Where the shotgun course will differ is that they're regularly break action, but they should still cover semi's and pumps which will be akin to the 10/22. Shotgunners don't regularly use breech flags AFAIK, we do, so that'll be about the only half significant difference.

Everything else about handling, clearing, checking, and pointing will be very similar.

That said - the GRPAI run a gallery rifle course every so often which is semi-focussed on the 10/22 as they're so popular in that discipline - worth keeping an eye out for that.

Bottom line though, firearms safety is all about building the guidlines into your everyday handling routines - you can do all the courses in the world, but if you don't do that then you're really not getting the benefit. Muzzle discipline and trigger finger are the two main ones; checking clear *every* time you handle any firearms is a very good habit and has turned up plenty of surprises over the years, everything else is procedural and situation dependent - pay attention, and be willing to learn, and you'll be grand.

*a gunclub to join to the wicklow/dublin area?

Hilltop, BRC, Harbour house, East coast, ... who am I missing? ..rathdrum..
    ...you get the point in any case - you're spoilt for choice in that area.
    *a gun dealer to buy the rifle from? (I Am not just looking for the cheapest dealer I would like to shop in a store with good customer service and advice.)

I'm in the midlands so I'm of little use to you there, but Hilltop and Harbour house both have good retail aspects to their facilities.
    *would this rifle be suited for small game hunting and target shooting?

Small game being rabbit and squirrel - yes, but effective range will be determined by yourself, your ammo, the state of tune of your 10/22, and when you last cleaned it. ;)

Target shooting - in stock form it's grand for bulleye and is pretty much *the* go-to rifle for rimfire gallery, but the 10/22 is not a precision rifle so be reasonable in your expectations off the bench or wrt to sporter, know-your-limits, or hunter disciplines.

All that being said, the 10/22 is very much like a Harley motorbike - when you buy a new one, you're really only buying a foundation upon which to build and customise. People spend incredibly money tricking them out for more speed, less weight, more accuracy, etc... so it's a rifle that, whilst in stock form isn't really anything special, can become pretty much anything that you want.

The one caution I will give you about the 10/22 as a first rifle (and I'll caveat this with a great big *IMHO*) is that because it isn't as inherently accurate as a bolt gun, you are going to find youself doing a bit of second guessing yourself where accuracy is concerned - they're a great rifle, don't get me wrong, but if you're intending to learn to shoot with precision, you could be better served by a CZ452/455. It could be worthwhile getting to a tourist range at one of your local clubs and trying out a few beforehand if you can. Now that's not intended to put you off the 10/22, it's a crackin' rifle for what it does well, but if you're looking for one hole groups at 50m - that's just not something that it does well is what I'm saying. Plenty of folk out there actually have both a bolt 22 and the ruger, because they each serve different purposes. Anyways, just something to think about.
    Also I don't know if it makes any odds but I Am a 24 year old male with no criminal record and no history of mental illness.

...and it's a single unrestricted firearm. You're grand.
    You'll need those 'verbals' in writing though, at least one of them; or you'll need to join a club.

You'll also want to get that safe mounted to a masonry wall.

and don't tick the scope box on the application if you're only planning standard optics - that box is only for NV or scopes 'incorporating a laser' :rolleyes:, standard optics don't require any special permissions.
    Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.

Ha! - wait until you get aquainted 'round here. That wasn't anything even approaching 'Long'.

Welcome into the fray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I haven't much more to add that extremetaz hasn't already mentioned.

You said that you want to use the rifle for small game hunting. The rifle is suitable for both.

Here's the thing though. If you want to use the rifle for target shooting, then you have to join a range. It's illegal to stick up cans, bottles, paper targets etc. in a field and shoot at them.

If you are doing target shooting and want to be competitive or if you just want to be more accurate, you will have to make improvements to the basic gun. Modifications are simple with the Ruger 10/22 and you can upgrade every single part of the gun if you have the money. If you don't have the money, you can upgrade it a bit at a time when your budget allows. The 10/22 is a cracking gun.

If you want the rifle for hunting/vermin control, then you need written permission from two farmers giving you permission to shoot on their land. This has to be submitted with your application. These have to be submitted with your application.

Before you apply for the gun, come back on here and get help filling out the form. It can be fairly complicated for someone who doesn't know what they are doing and if you make any mistakes, the Gardaí can really drag their heels and make you wait an eternity for the gun.

If you are certain you would like to do target shooting, I recommend going to a range some Saturday and checking out some of the modified 10/22's that are in use there. Hilltop and Harbour House are good ranges if you want to see some 10/22's in action. Hilltop is just outside Newtownmountkennedy and Harbour House is not far outside of Athy, Co. Kildare.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

You don't need to be a member of a gun club, go out with you're father in law as many times as possible, get some books, you could could go to Hiltop in Wicklow or courtlough for some lessons, but be warned of what gun dealers will try to sell you or tell you what you'd need,
    Bring someone with you who knows a bit about shooting,
    I'd go for a shotgun first and learn the basics, a secondhand gun for €300 will get you started,
    Don't be afraid to ask question, everyone had to start somewhere,

BattleCorp wrote: »
    ... then you need written permission from two farmers giving you permission to shoot on their land. ... These have to be submitted with your application.

There's no required number of permissions BC - just has to be sufficient real estate in the opinion of the authorising officer. 22LR can be had on as little as 1 acre, or a yard with animal feed in it (my auld boy has his under such conditions), depending on the super's humour/inclinations.

extremetaz wrote: »
    There's no required number of permissions BC - just has to be sufficient real estate in the opinion of the authorising officer. 22LR can be had on as little as 1 acre, or a yard with animal feed in it (my auld boy has his under such conditions), depending on the super's humour/inclinations.

I've always submitted two permission letters seeing as there are two places on the FAC1 form for permissions.

Point taken though. :)

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've always submitted two permission letters seeing as there are two places on the FAC1 form for permissions.

Only the one these days: FCA1 as amended 2012

and the letter is only required if you don't own the land yourself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just to add my two cent, without the controversy about such safety courses, I wouldn't recommend you doing one in any shape or kind for a shotgun if it's a rifle your going for. If the Guards insist on you having one then they may also insist that it's a rifle safety course.

If you want a rifle get a rifle, rifle and shotguns are apples and oranges when it comes to hunting and target shooting. If the bug bites then you'll probably end up with both or you might find that you are exclusively one or the other.

The 10/22 is great rifle, one of the most widely sold sporting firearms in the world and can leave you to many sleepless nights dreaming of it numerous options for modifications. I love the guys who sing it's praises and then go on to tell you that the only original part left is the receiver!

I started off with a semi, great fun and one day may look to put one back into my safe but at the moment and for along time the bolt action has being my go to .22 for small game and targets.

Go on line, learn to be a transient with Irish gun dealers, one guy will be good on ammo anther for certain brands, styles of guns while others for accessorys. Ammo can be delivered by courier so distance is not an issue. The days of your local gunshop have faded and most RFD know this and are more than willing to deal nationally.

I love the guys who sing it's praises and then go on to tell you that the only original part left is the receiver!

Pffffffft. Plenty of lads don't even have the original receiver left. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Thanks for all the replies I'm going to try get to the station on Friday as I Am working nights this week so I Am not free when they are open to get the fourm till then.

My otherhalfs uncle has a 10_22 he was kind enough to let me shoot and I prefer it to a shotgun. He purchesed last year from range river rock in tallaght for a good price so I will go there on Saturday to see what the story is with my father in-law. I will also mount my safe to the inside of a wardrobe this weekend.

So hopefully I will be posting again Next Week with looking for help with the application.

Many thanks Cadpat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

.....not free when they are open to get the fourm till then.

Form is download able from Garda.ie and you can save it completed just in case, God forbid it should ever happen, they lose you paper work!
    ...... I will also mount my safe to the inside of a wardrobe this weekend

Ssssssh! - it's a double, bestest, most careful, three times backwards around the oak tree secret hiding place .....

• Advertisement

Form is download able from Garda.ie and you can save it completed just in case, God forbid it should ever happen, they lose you paper work!

Ssssssh! - it's a double, bestest, most careful, three times backwards around the oak tree secret hiding place .....

I downloaded the PDF. There man thanks for the tip. I guess it is probably the most obvious spot for a safe but she is insisting that it is not going under the stairs😂

I will also mount my safe to the inside of a wardrobe this weekend.

Unless your wardrobe is made of concrete, or you're mounting throught the timber into masonry, then that won't pass muster if you're inspected by anyone who actually knows what they're looking at (which, granted, is pretty rare).

Has to be fixed to the structure of the building.

Unless your wardrobe is made of concrete, or you're mounting throught the timber into masonry, then that won't pass muster if you're inspected by anyone who actually knows what they're looking at (which, granted, is pretty rare).

Has to be fixed to the structure of the building.

I'd my crime prevention officer do his level best to rip the safe off the wall. He looked like he was about to have a heart attack from the effort. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If your wall are concrete block (and they need to be, really) you should mark the shape of the safe on the wardrobe, and cut that piece out of the timber back.
    Now your safe is against the concrete.
    It's worth drilling a couple of extra holes in the back of the safe for extra rawl bolts.

Hopefully your wall is made of 6inch blocks on their edge, not 4 inch ones.

There are also great construction adhesives you can use as an addition to the rawl bolts to to stick the safe to the blockwork for extra strength.

There is only one concert wall in the wardrobe do I need to mount it to two? Would I be better of putting it down stairs and build a wooden cannot around it with its own lock?

Depends on the integrity of the wall - mine is fixed to only one wall, but it's on 4x16mm anchors and it's a load bearing wall made of 4" on the flat, so there's absolutely no budging it.

Bottom line, a safe only buys you time, and time is what burglars don't have - if the whole safe can simply be removed with a crowbar then they'll just take the whole damn thing and defeat it later at their leisure.

There is also the option of laying the safe down on the ground and bolting it to the floor seeing as most floors are concrete. Assuming that you don't have underfloor heating etc. that is.

Hello again I am back to ask a few more questions this time about the actual fourm. I completed my safety course which gave me a chance to test for the rugar 10/22, was so impressed I stop in my local gun store and put a deposit on one.

Which type of firearm certificate am I applying? (firearm/restricated/limited ect.)

For the character reference section I have my supervisor form my job I have been I two years is this acceptable? Do I need a second reference?

After completing the firearm safety course I was given a cert don't hand this in or should I give in a copy just in case my application gets lost?

If I don't tick the silencer box is it possible for me to buy/legal use a silencer/compensator in the future?

My safe is installed but I have yet to contact my station about getting it inspected because I have been flat out in work. am I issued with a cert by the garda that inspects it or do I just say that garda Joe came out and checked last week when handing in my application?

The maximum rounds of ammo, I am confused by this and have got different answers off a few lads I know. Is this the amount of ammo I can own at once or the amount that I can buy? Also if it is the amount I can own dose it include spent casing? Is there a plenty for owning more then that amount of caught? I was thinking that 250 rounds would be a good amount is this too much for a first license?

Reason for this firearm the gun store owner told me he is going to open up a range 20 minuets from my home can I use this as a place to do target shooting? I also want to hunt small game rabbit and birds mail so can I tick both boxes? Is this caliber suitable for fox hunting in the eyes of the law? Is an interest in wanting to start hunting a good enough reason?

Wildlife act is this something I should read? What do the mean exempt mammals?

Farm/Land permission I have been given written permission by my other half's father(on the application) her uncle on a sheet of paper. I was told in the gun store I will need two for my first license but I am wondering if the fact they both have the same surname will work against me?

Hello again I am back to ask a few more questions this time about the actual fourm. I completed my safety course which gave me a chance to test for the rugar 10/22, was so impressed I stop in my local gun store and put a deposit on one.

They are a lovely gun. The trigger usually needs to be improved but that can be done at a later date.
    Which type of firearm certificate am I applying? (firearm/restricated/limited ect.)

Firearm. Don't put down restricted or limited.
    For the character reference section I have my supervisor form my job I have been I two years is this acceptable? Do I need a second reference?

Yes, pretty much any adult is acceptable. It could be your father, mother, anybody really, as long as they are not known scumbags. I think I supplied two references with my application.
    After completing the firearm safety course I was given a cert don't hand this in or should I give in a copy just in case my application gets lost?

Give them a photocopy.
    If I don't tick the silencer box is it possible for me to buy/legal use a silencer/compensator in the future?

If you don't apply for a silencer with your application now, you can always apply for one later. If you apply for it either now or with your renewal in three years it costs nothing to apply for it. If you don't apply now but some time later this year or next, it will cost you €80 to apply.

By the way, you need to do more than just tick the box. You need to put in a letter stating the reasons why you need a silencer.
    My safe is installed but I have yet to contact my station about getting it inspected because I have been flat out in work. am I issued with a cert by the garda that inspects it or do I just say that garda Joe came out and checked last week when handing in my application?

Just tick the secure storage box on the form. Put in a letter with a photo of your safe with your application. They probably won't bother inspecting it then.
    The maximum rounds of ammo, I am confused by this and have got different answers off a few lads I know. Is this the amount of ammo I can own at once or the amount that I can buy? Also if it is the amount I can own dose it include spent casing? Is there a plenty for owning more then that amount of caught? I was thinking that 250 rounds would be a good amount is this too much for a first license?

If you want to do target shooting, 250 rounds is not enough. You'd need at least 1000 rounds if you are going to be target shooting. You could fire off 250 in a few hours. If you are just shooting rabbits, then 250 is probably grand.

You also need to put in a letter with your application stating why you need x amount of rounds. I applied for 5000 rounds and was given 2000.

You can buy as many rounds as you like but you can only have in your possession whatever is on your licence. For example, I can buy 10,000 off my gun dealer but I can't bring 10,000 home. I can only take them 2,000 at a time. Empty shells count as part of that but seeing as I leave all my empty shells on the range, the empties aren't in my possession so I don't have to worry about them.

Reason for this firearm the gun store owner told me he is going to open up a range 20 minuets from my home can I use this as a place to do target shooting?

You'll need to photocopy your range membership badge/form and send that in with your firearm application if you are going to do target shooting. The Gardaí will want proof that you are going to do target shooting.

I also want to hunt small game rabbit and birds mail so can I tick both boxes? Is this caliber suitable for fox hunting in the eyes of the law? Is an interest in wanting to start hunting a good enough reason?

I know fcukall about the above so someone else can answer that part.

Farm/Land permission I have been given written permission by my other half's father(on the application) her uncle on a sheet of paper. I was told in the gun store I will need two for my first license but I am wondering if the fact they both have the same surname will work against me?

As long as they are not the same pieces of land, you'll be grand.

Here are a few tips.

If you want a certain amount of ammo, you must put in a letter with your application stating valid reasons why you need that amount of ammo. This could be reasons like batch consistency, economic reasons for buying in bulk, scarcity of ammunition, too difficult to get to gun dealer regularly etc.

If you want a silencer, you must put in a letter with your application stating valid reasons why you need one. Reasons like not wanting to frighten livestock near to where you are shooting, needing to protect your hearing etc.

Don't tick sights on the form. That's only for thermal scopes or night vision.

Ask here for more help when filling in the form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Battlecorp has answered everything, but i just want to throw in my tuppence worth on some points.
    Do I need a second reference?
    Yes.
    Yes, but if you don't tick it now you cannot buy/use it until you get the authroisation. So best advice is to tick it now and supply the letter Battlecorp suggested above.
    You don't need to contact your station.

When you apply you tick the section saying you have met the minimum standard. If they want to check they'll have the Crime Prevention Officer (CPO) come out and inspect your security. S/he will then send in a report which will be attached to your application and only then will it be processed.

You need do nothing on that front other than have the minimum standard of security which for one rifle is a safe.
    Is this the amount of ammo I can own at once or the amount that I can buy?
    Legally, it is the total amount of ammo you may have in your possession including spent/fired cases.
    Also if it is the amount I can own dose it include spent casing?
    Yes, but only if you hold onto them. If you discard them then you are no longer in possession of them and they don't count towards your total.

For a 22 i'd apply for a minimum of 500 up to 1,000.
    Reason for this firearm the gun store owner told me he is going to open up a range 20 minuets from my home can I use this as a place to do target shooting?
    Yes, but unless it's built and you are a current member then you cannot put target shooting as a reason. Unless you join another range while you wait for this one to be built/opened.
    I also want to hunt small game rabbit and birds mail so can I tick both boxes?
    You tick hunting for sure, but for target shooting they usually require membership details and proof of membership. You cannot provide this, but have a chat with the FO and perhaps include that you intend to target shoot with the rifle when a new range is built, but for now you want it for hunting, but ticked both boxes to cover you legally.
    Is this caliber suitable for fox hunting in the eyes of the law?
    Foxes are classed as vermin (not a legal definition). There is no minimum caliber only what is right/humane. A 22 can cleanly dispatch a fox but usually at short distances. You will learn this with time. If in doubt, NEVER take the shot.
    Is an interest in wanting to start hunting a good enough reason?
    For now it'll be your only reason. You will need to provide gun club (hunting) membership or two separate land permissions if you have no target range details.
    Exempted wild animals for the meaning of the Wildlife Act are animals that can only be hunted during designated seasons. This is usually Deer, Pheasant, Duck, etc, etc. For foxes, rabbits and other "vermin" you need not worry about this.

however have a read of this post and it'll explain what is exempt and what is not. Also note that most of them CANNOT be shot with a rifle. A 22 is not legal for deer, cannot be used on Pheasant or Duck, but can be used on other bird species but ONLY under derogation.

Under derogation means, in lay mans terms, the rules normally associated to hunting a certain species is suspended.
    No.

As long as it's two separate permissions you'll be fine.

Best of luck with your new rifle and sport. As said above if you have any question at all feel free to ask.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sorry, never put in the link above. It's this thread you want specifically this post:

Deer
    • 1st September to 31st December. - Stags, Antlered Deer.
    • 1st November to 28th February. - Females, Antlerless deer.
    Hares
    • 26th September to 28th February
    Wildbird
    • Red Grouse - 1st September to 30th September
    • Mallard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Teal - 1st September to 31st January
    • Tufted Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Jack Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Golden Plover - 1st September to 31st January
    • Gadwall - 1st September to 31st January
    • Wigeon - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pintail - 1st September to 31st January
    • Shovellor - 1st September to 31st January
    • Scaup - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pochard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Goldeneye - 1st September to 31st January
    • Ruddy Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Red Legged Partridge - 1st November to 31st January
    • Cock Pheasant - 1st November to 31st January
    • Woodcock - 1st November to 31st January
    • Canadian Geese (Countrywide) - 1st September to 15th October
    • Canadian Geese (Cavan and Leitrim Only) Excluding Eonish Island, Rinn, Deramfield, and the River Shannon - 16th October to 31st January.
    • Greylag Geese - 1st Spetember to 15th October
    • Greylag Geese. (Lady's Island, Co. Wexford and Gearagh East & Gearagh West in Cork only) - 16th October to 31st January
    • Wood Pigeon - 1st November to 31st January
    Vermin (all year round)
    • Fox
    • Rabbit
    • Muntjac
    • Grey squirrel
    • Mink
    • Feral Goats
    Under Derogation (Otherwise Season runs 1st November to 31st January)
    • Grey Crows
    • Magpies
    • Pigeon
    • Feral Pigeon
    • Rooks
    • Jackdaws
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Foxes are classed as vermin (not a legal definition). There is no minimum caliber only what is right/humane. A 22 can cleanly dispatch a fox but usually at short distances. You will learn this with time. If in doubt, NEVER take the shot.

Cass is entirely correct in the above - the 22LR is both legal for, and capable of, dispatching fox.

That being said it is the WRONG caliber for the job. You would need to be incredibly close to the fox, and even then your shot placement would have to be utterly bang on in order to avoid leaving the animal in a wounded state.

You could use high velocity ammunition to make up for the power deficit to some degree, but you'll still need very exact placement to do the job humanely.

A rabbit is about the biggest quarry that you can consistently take with a 22LR and reasonable shooting.

..and on the point of reasonable shooting - if you're planning on going after live quarry then limit yourself to the range at which you can keep a 2" group in an unsupported shooting position. For some that'll mean that no more than 20meters, for others it'll mean 100meters, and for some, even farther out - but the difference there is usually practice, diligence, and having the right tools (rifle *and* ammunition) for the job.

The 10/22 is quite variable in the accuracy it delivers in stock form, so be sure that you take the time to figure out what you, it and your chosen ammo are actually capable of before you go inflicting yourself on live quarry. To that end, irrespective of whether you get your licence based on hunting or target usage, plenty of range time, and some decent instruction in the finer points of operating a rifle, will still be in order. ;)

Thanks lads think I would be banjacksed with the fourm without your help hopefully I will get the license.

Can you lads suggest a good type of .22 ammo?
    From what the yanks on YouTube are saying cci is very good for its price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thanks lads think I would be banjacksed with the fourm without your help hopefully I will get the license.

Can you lads suggest a good type of .22 ammo?
    From what the yanks on YouTube are saying cci is very good for its price.

CCI is the best performer in my 10/22, subsonic for the rabbits, the velocities knocks foxes all day long!!

I use Eley club or CCI subs inside of 30m; beyond that I tend to run Eley Edge for most things - it's a bit more expensive than the other two but the results speak for themselves.

Sooner or later the question of hollowpoint for live quarry is going to come up - the hollowpoints do mean that there's a bit more forgiveness where shot placement is concerned. The caveat to that is that there needs to be because they're not as assurate as ball rounds in my experience. Similarly standard and high velocity ammo, aren't as accurate as subsonic rounds after about 70m (if you're inside 70m though they're generally grand).

Bottom line though is whatever you can put precisely where it needs to go is the tool for the job (in 22LR at least - expansion is a far bigger part of the equation on larger animals) - so the standard advice is to buy a small bit of whatever you can, get to the range with it, and see what works best. Bear in mind though that when your field target is 2", performance at 25m is not an indication of performance at 50m; and performance at 50m won't tell you much about what's going to happen at 100m. So shoot all of your distances, get your groups, choose your ammo, establish your drop chart, and *then* you're in a position to head to the fields (assuming you've held that 2" group - otherwise practice, practice, practice).

CCI in my experience is a consistent, value, performer - but it is no match round, and there is more expensive ammo out there which will deliver better groups (hence my predeliction for Edge). RWS, Lapua and SK are other decent brands; Remington and Fiocchi are generally poorer performers in my experience. It's up to you to decide what meets your needs. ;)

Hey lads got a call today off the firearms officer I got my licence approved just need to wait on the post and go pay for it now. Just want to say thanks for time and advice.

Bulleye 360 is held once a month in Midland, and the 10/22 is a great rifle for it.. ...just by way of something to do once you get it. :D

Bulleye 360 is held once a month in Midland, and the 10/22 is a great rifle for it.. ...just by way of something to do once you get it. :D

Thanks for the heads up man but what is that? I plan on doing a good bit of range shooting before I head out hunting but I don't know which range is good and which isnt. Driving time from my home to hilltop & harbour house are about the same can you lads recommend one over the other?

Thanks for the heads up man but what is that? I plan on doing a good bit of range shooting before I head out hunting but I don't know which range is good and which isnt. Driving time from my home to hilltop & harbour house are about the same can you lads recommend one over the other?

There's a competition in Harbour House this Saturday. Might be a good day to call in for a look.

• Advertisement

Driving time from my home to hilltop & harbour house are about the same can you lads recommend one over the other?

Couldn't recommend one over the other no - have been a visitor shooting in both venues several times and the facilities and the folk there I've always found to be top notch. For rimfire, there's nothing in it; so my advice would be use both!

Bullseye 360 is an open discipline, so you don't need to be an MNSCI member to shoot it. You just need a qualifying rifle with two magazines, and insurance, and you can shoot as a visitor for €15.

It's a 30 shot detail: 10 shots prone at 50m; 10 sitting or kneeling at 40m; 10 standing at 25m. All unsupported, no slings, bipods, bags, etc...

Very quick, great craic and targets that are big enough to make sure that even a novice can feel good about themselves.

I shoot it most months, and mostly for the banter with the other lads - well worth the trip out IMO.

Next match is the 17th of this month, and it'll be announced in this thread on here. Rifle detail generally starts around 12:30 so if you're there about 11-11:30 that'll give you time to sign in, introduce yourself and get a quick zero in on the range before the detail itself.

Advertisement