Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killala - belleek greenway

Options
  • 24-05-2017 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this is open yet? Where do you go after exiting the end of belleek woods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

not open yet, it is being worked on from both ends so it now extends a few miles from killala. after you leave beleek you can turn right and cylce along the ''old french road'' if you keep going straight this will bring you into killala and i assume at some point you can access the killala end of the green way.

even if you cant yet its a nice quite road that runs parallel to the main killala rd

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

I cycled along the old French road a few weeks ago hoping to meet up with the Killala end after a few miles. The road itself is quiet and safe enough but it's very hilly so maybe not suitable for young children yet.

I didn't meet up with the Killala end until I was within a couple of miles of the town. That end is quite nice with a couple of small lakes and an old railway bridge. You have to cross the main road before reaching the end of the track in Killala.

They seem to have stopped work on the Ballina end once you leave Belleek. Hope they get to finish it soon, the views along the way are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was hoping to stick to a greenway rather than a (main!) road, I'm a nervous cyclist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Richie71 wrote: »
    I cycled along the old French road a few weeks ago hoping to meet up with the Killala end after a few miles. The road itself is quiet and safe enough but it's very hilly so maybe not suitable for young children yet.

I didn't meet up with the Killala end until I was within a couple of miles of the town. That end is quite nice with a couple of small lakes and an old railway bridge. You have to cross the main road before reaching the end of the track in Killala.

They seem to have stopped work on the Ballina end once you leave Belleek. Hope they get to finish it soon, the views along the way are fantastic.

issues with getting access over lands, they have been talking about an option of putting some of it on the road, but from what i gather they would rather avoid that so are still trying to negotiate,..the killala stretch that is done already is off road, think about 4k but im open to correction on that.
    edit .. yes if you follow the old road you will eventually meet the end of the bit that is already done, not far from moyne, kind of between moyne and rosserk

Advertisement