Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runners for running

• 24-05-2017 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Good morning. Can someone please recommend a good running shoe? I have back problems and feel it is partially down to using cheapy runners. I appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Visit a shop like Amphibian King, Run Logic, Elvery's, Run Hub etc. and listen to what they recommend.

They will do some analysis and advise on a number of ones that would be suitable.

Buying an expensive pair online without any proper fit/sizing advice would not be recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

grahamor wrote: »
    Visit a shop like Amphibian King, Run Logic, Elvery's, Run Hub etc. and listen to what they recommend.

They will do some analysis and advise on a number of ones that would be suitable.

Buying an expensive pair online without any proper fit/sizing advice would not be recommended.

All of the above suggestions except for Elverys. I'm just a bit more sceptical of their 'expertise' vs the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Have you taken lessons in running? Might not be much use blaming the tool if the technique is totally off. I know many running teachers who recommend low to zero drop shoes with a flat sole a little to no support which is the opposite of what most high street stores will advise as they are not expensive and trendy.

Have you taken lessons in running? Might not be much use blaming the tool if the technique is totally off. I know many running teachers who recommend low to zero drop shoes with a flat sole a little to no support which is the opposite of what most high street stores will advise as they are not expensive and trendy.

going straight into zero drop (no height difference between the heel and the toe) is very bad advice. It would take most people 2 to 3 months to transition with a planned programme to be able to run in zero without screwing up your calves or worse your Achilles.

I wouldn't advise going under 8 or 6mm drop for a beginner.

Definitely sounds like a case where the OP could definitely benefit from paying the bit extra over online by getting good advice in an outlet with good staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

I am not advising anything I am saying this is what many teachers recommend. They recommend to students they are teaching and spending time coaching.

My point is that if running is what is causing the issue no shoe in the world will prevent further issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Run bare foot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've been wearing almost zero drop runners since Christmas for walking with absolutely no issues; walking 5-7km a day over two walks generally.

Started running in them (C25k) the other week and my ankles are in bits ever since. To the point where I had noticeable swelling and tenderness today (after run 1 of week 4) that I had to elevate and ice.

I've accepted at this stage that I need to stop until I can go for gait analysis and a proper shoe recommendation. Unfortunately I'm not working at the moment so I mightn't be able to do that for a while and it's frustrating that I'll probably have to start again from week one by that stage.

Also annoying is that I did C25k up to the end of week 3 about two years ago and then just lost interest, but I had absolutely zero ankle issues then.

Advertisement